Final wort volume

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamp2511

Reaction score
My starting volume before boil was 63.4 litres and was supposed to end up with 50 litres according to brewmate. Ended up putting 56 litres in fermenter. Had a good rolling boil for 60 minutes. Any ideas?

One big idea. The settings in BrewMate don't match your system.

I don't use BrewMate but check things like boil off rate, volume of dead space in the kettle, volume left behind in trub, etc.

I tipped the kettle on an angle and drained nearly all the wort. Should I have stopped when the flow out the tap stopped. Sorry if I sound like a dumb newbie but I am.

You just have to change your BrewMate settings - change the boil off setting to 7.4 litres per hour (which is a perfectly healthy level of boil off).

Your prob looking at brew eff%

Couple of things you need to take into account for your final volume

1. Evaporation rate during boil
2. Shrinkage due to cooling..this is a constant figure/ volume
3. Losses due to trub/break material

Your trub/break losses will vary depending on how much you decide to leave in the kettle.

Some brewers leave more than others

It's been mentioned but basically software will have an average/default figure for boiloff- once you know what your system does, you need to tweak the software to reflect the truth. Software can't possibly know your evaporation rate (kettle height, diameter, thickness, substance, burner/ element heat and distribution, etc). You need to tell it so it can advise you.

Just start with less water.
Maybe stick with what you have now,you gained 6 litres of beer,that's gotta be a plus.

wombil said:
Just start with less water.
Maybe stick with what you have now,you gained 6 litres of beer,that's gotta be a plus.
Yeah it's always a plus to have more beer wombil but now I've got froth pissin out the airlock. Fermenter temp is 18 degrees.

Yes,That's a pain all right.
Been There,Done That,
My Sympathy and Condolences.

wombil said:
Yes,That's a pain all right.
Been There,Done That,
My Sympathy and Condolences.
Cheers. I'm sure it with be all worth it when I'm blowing that froth of a few chilled glasses of the finished product.

Latest posts

Back