Filtering

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

googe

Reaction score
G'day all, I was thinking about putting my brew through a waterjug filter before bottling. Anyone done this? Any feedback on wether this is a good idea. I cant stop my brain thinking!! :unsure: .

Cheers Greg

not sure how you'd do it without splashing the hell out of it....Siphon it into the jug, but how do bottle from there? have another siphon back into a bottling vessel (fermenter, bucket etc...)???

As far as would the jug filter work? I've got no idea.....

G'day all, I was thinking about putting my brew through a waterjug filter before bottling. Anyone done this? Any feedback on wether this is a good idea. I cant stop my brain thinking!! :unsure: .

Cheers Greg

Why? What are you trying to acheive by doing this? Myself i think there is more to be lost than gained and it would be a slow process.
Putting your fermenter in the fridge for a week at 2-4deg after ferment has stopped will help to clear your beer without the risk of oxidising your brew. Also once the bottles have had time to carbonate put them in the fridge for a few days before cracking and most yeasts will stick to the bottom of the bottle like mud.

Cheers

Thanks Brad, didnt know you could do that. Not sure what oxidising is but i ll look it up. DIdnt know that about it sticking either.

Cheers Greg.

Why? What are you trying to acheive by doing this? Myself i think there is more to be lost than gained and it would be a slow process.
Putting your fermenter in the fridge for a week at 2-4deg after ferment has stopped will help to clear your beer without the risk of oxidising your brew. Also once the bottles have had time to carbonate put them in the fridge for a few days before cracking and most yeasts will stick to the bottom of the bottle like mud.

Cheers

Brad will cold conditioning the fermenter in the fridge at that temp affect the carbonation of the beer once bottled? Just worried doing something like that will stop co2 happening in my bottles after bottling

Cheers

Brad will cold conditioning the fermenter in the fridge at that temp affect the carbonation of the beer once bottled? Just worried doing something like that will stop co2 happening in my bottles after bottling

Cheers

There will still be enough yeast in suspension to chew up the carbonating sugar and carbonate your beer. The yeast just goes to sleep at the cold temp but when the bottles are filled and stored out of the fridge they will kick back in.
I use this method with every brew now as I keg but generally have a few bottles with each batch and dont have any issues. They may need a couple of days more to carbonate than usual.

Edit= Just watch out if you put your bottles in a cardboard box after filling and capping as the condensation on the outside of the bottles will soak the bottom of the box.

Cheers

If you mean one of those jugs with a carbon filter in them
DONT
The carbon will strip out most or all of the hops, bitterness, taste and aroma it will take the bloody lot, as I found out the hard way.
MHB

If you mean one of those jugs with a carbon filter in them
DON"T
The carbon will strip out most or all of the hops, bitterness, taste and aroma it will take the bloody lot, as I found out the hard way.
MHB

Aah HA!

So that must be how the duopoly megabreweries filter their beers! I reckon you've stumbled on some great big secret there MHB.. ;)

There will still be enough yeast in suspension to chew up the carbonating sugar and carbonate your beer. The yeast just goes to sleep at the cold temp but when the bottles are filled and stored out of the fridge they will kick back in.
I use this method with every brew now as I keg but generally have a few bottles with each batch and dont have any issues. They may need a couple of days more to carbonate than usual.

Edit= Just watch out if you put your bottles in a cardboard box after filling and capping as the condensation on the outside of the bottles will soak the bottom of the box.

Cheers

Excellent! Time to cold condition then! This has been the one thing stopping me from doing it, was worried about carbonation

How long cold condition do you recommend? Would finings help in this process as well?

Back