Filtering Carbonated Beer Keg To Keg Style

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCT

Beer Nerd
Reaction score
Hi all, my filter has just arrived from the courier and I want to try it out.
I read somewhere here before a post from Zwickel explaining how he filters carbonated beer by equalising the pressure between the 2 kegs, then uses a pump to move the liquid.

I don't have a pump, but I was thinking that I could hopefully equalise the pressure in the 2 kegs, then slowly bleed the receiving keg to get it, and keep it moving.
Am I just kidding myself here? Anyone tried it? I'm thinking that the filter is still going to cause a good amount of Co2 to come out of solution, but maybe it all being under pressure it wouldn't.

Any help appreciated lads!

Thanks for that Ross, I'll try the same method with the filter in between and see how it goes. Sqyre says he has successfully done it, but it took ages.
I actually read that thread while searching, but didn't pick up on the Sqyre post. Just thought I'd check.

I also just found this on another thread that may be useful if this thread comes up during a search in the future.
This post from Ross.

You have probably found your answer in teh above links but ...

You can filter carbed from keg to keg pretty simply - even without making it a closed system or using a pump as per zwickel. You just have to overpressurize everything. Then what you are effectively doing is counter pressure filling the empty keg via a fliter.

So - say your full keg has been carbonated at a pressure of 10psi

Pressurize everything (full keg, empty keg and filter unit) to 15psi
Put the gas onto the full keg and connect everything up - nothing happens
As you said, slowly bleed off the pressure from the empty keg and watch the beer start flowing, bleed off as little as you can to keep the flowrate up
The plan is that even with the differential in pressure across the filter - the lowest pressure in the whole system will still be above the carbonation pressure of the beer, and the gas already dissolved will stay dissolved. If things start to foam.. increase the pressure on both sides.

TB

This is originally what I was think about doing TB, thanks for the confirmation.
It would be easier for me to do it this was rather than a closed balanced system as I don't have enough gas disconnects and don't want to have to cut and rejoin them from my keg fridge.

Now, I wonder how much pressure the filter housing can hold? :eek:

Latest posts

Back