Filtering And Chill Haze

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffyjudd

Reaction score
do u still get chill haze if u filter ur beer ?
i just got a filter so do i still need to used polyclar?

do u still get chill haze if u filter ur beer ?
i just got a filter so do i still need to used polyclar?

I don't think you'll get chill haze if you filter, not 100% sure but I never experienced it.
I wouldn't bother with any fining agents if you intend to filter.

Typically filters are not fine enough to filter out chill haze. I have a 1 micron absolute and chill haze will get through that.

If you have a filter capable of filtering out chill haze you'll most likely be left with beer colored water and it will be so fine you'll strip out just about everything.

Just use polyclar if you have chill haze problems.

As for not using fining agents if filtering - if you want to ease the load on the cartridge, by all means use some it will make filtering much easier and the cartridge will last longer.

I filter with a 1 micron absolute and very rarely get haze but do on the occasion...

I used to filter warm and get it almost every keg but then went to chilling keg before filtering and found it is probably one in every 10 kegs or so now.

I know it is not supposed to make a difference scientifically but can only speak from experience. So for best results and to minimise your chance of chill haze, filter as cold as you can!.

2c.

if you filter cold, you will remove most but some still gets in.

Filtering will reduce chill haze if done properly but its not the complete answer........ prevention is the best cure

cheers

Latest posts

Back