Filter Cartridges - Water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sluggerdog

Beer In Here
Reaction score
I'm planning to start filtering my water for brewing however I wasn't sure what type of filter cartridge I should be going for and also which size.

Anyone have any information on the best cartridge to get?

I already have a casing (unused) so I am just after the cartridge.

I'm using brisbane tap water if this makes any difference.

From the Googling I have done, I think I will go for a 1 micron Carbon filter but just wanted some confirmation.

My aim is the remove taste and odur.

:D SD

Hey Slugger

I just use a pleated carbon job. (Costs around $25).

Usually lasts me around 12 months. Trick is taking it out of the housing between brews and storing it in the freezer so it doesn't go funky.

I keep mine in one of those plastic spaghetti containers. It's a perfect size.

Warren -

Thanks Warren, What micron size is best?

I've read 0.5 is best but it can get clogged rather quicky so I was leaning towards the 1.0.

Can anyone tell the taste difference between 0.5 and 1.0 micron?

Some of the cartridges in Bunnings, etc are really very cheap - I thought this as I had my hand on a three-pack of Kambrook jug filters in a shop recently. I use the same device I filter my drinking water with (a Brita jug) but the filter gets crammed into a hole in the bottom of a 20litre plastic bucket.

I think that in my case, the mesh size is unimportant - it is the activated charcoal that does the good work in getting rid of metals and Thingides and stuff. Chunks are removed manually - with tongs or a spoon.

I've read 0.5 is best but it can get clogged rather quicky so I was leaning towards the 1.0.

:lol: Got me there Slug. I just buy the ones they sell.

Maybe give Ross a call. Filter microns etc are right up his alley. ;)

Warren -

I'm planning to start filtering my water for brewing however I wasn't sure what type of filter cartridge I should be going for and also which size.

Anyone have any information on the best cartridge to get?

I already have a casing (unused) so I am just after the cartridge.

I'm using brisbane tap water if this makes any difference.

From the Googling I have done, I think I will go for a 1 micron Carbon filter but just wanted some confirmation.

My aim is the remove taste and odur.

:D SD
Hey sluggerdog,

I recently started using a CERAMIKX carbon block cartridge I found on evilbay. Think it was around $40, but a top quality job it is.
It fits in the standard 10" filter housing, and gives about 5Ltrs per minute at mains pressure.
Good for around 8000Ltrs of water, with very fine 0.5 micron absolute filtration.

...and yes, it does a brilliant job in scrubbing out the Chlorine, and other unwanted stuff.

hutch.

Thanks Hutch. Just the info I was after.

Does it get clogged in anyway? The clogging was something I read could happen but I suspect it wouldn't with tap water.

IMHO you won't find anything different in taste, all you will find is the size of the particles filtered out will be larger. Mind you the difference between 1 & .5 is not a lot.

BYB

I picked up one of Ross's filter kits and it's great. I grabbed an adapter from Bunnings so I can screw it onto the end of a hose then I just pump straight into mash tun or cube, very convenient and pretty well priced too as it comes with all the bits and bobs. They use a 0.1 or 0.5 (can't remember) micron Carbon block filter. You can also get them from Bunnings if needed.

I notice that the water tastes flatter once filtered, cleaner I guess. The water quality in my area is very good too so it's even better when filtered.

Thanks Hutch. Just the info I was after.

Does it get clogged in anyway? The clogging was something I read could happen but I suspect it wouldn't with tap water.
Good question.
Tap water is reasonably clear, so probably not an issue when filtering 20-50Ltrs for a single brew.
Can easily be wiped down with a sponge after use (being a solid carbon cylinder).
But as Warren mentioned, they need to be dried out completely before storing, otherwise you'll get mould growing on/in it.
I like his idea to store it in the freezer!

Thanks, I think I have the answers I need.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

EDIT: One Last QU: The poly-spun sediment filters won't do much to townwater will they? Does it need to be Carbon to remove taste?

I recently started using a CERAMIKX carbon block cartridge I found on evilbay. Think it was around $40, but a top quality job it is.

Hey Hutch is that the one where you can empty the old carbon and refill? I've been contemplating one of those because they seem more effective and probably better value for money in the long run. :)

FWIW This is a pic of the container I use to store my cartridge in the freezer between uses. Easy to find with the plastic containers etc at New World.

Warren -

18012008080.jpg

18012008081.jpg

Hey Hutch is that the one where you can empty the old carbon and refill? I've been contemplating one of those because they seem more effective and probably better value for money in the long run. :)
Hey Warren, it's a solid carbon cylinder, as black as night. Pretty much the same dimensions as the one in your pic, but certainly not refillable!
I think it's basically made up of fine carbon granules compressed together, somehow guaranteeing 0.2micron typical, and 0.5micron Nominal filtration.

Hey Warren, it's a solid carbon cylinder, as black as night. Pretty much the same dimensions as the one in your pic, but certainly not refillable!
I think it's basically made up of fine carbon granules compressed together, somehow guaranteeing 0.2micron typical, and 0.5micron Nominal filtration.

Ah OK Hutch... I remember reading somewhere you can buy refillable ones. From memory its just a matter of buying a bag of carbon and refilling when needed. If I can find the info I'll post it. :)

Not sure of the actual life of the pleated ones like I use. As a rule of thumb I just dump it once a year or if its starting to look a bit tired. Whichever comes first.

Warren -

Nice idea with that container, I'll have to find me some of them! :)

I had mold develop on my paper beer filter :(

Nice idea with that container, I'll have to find me some of them! :)

I had mold develop on my paper beer filter :(

They're usually at Coles or Bi Lo (maybe even Safeway) with all the plastic lunch boxes, drink bottles and small fridge containers etc. Label says they're for spaghetti. Just don't do what I did with my first one and drop it frozen. Unfortunately they (container not filter) crack rather easily. :(

Warren -

Thanks, I think I have the answers I need.

Cheers :icon_cheers:
EDIT: One Last QU: The poly-spun sediment filters won't do much to townwater will they? Does it need to be Carbon to remove taste?

Yes, needs to be a carbon one & get a solid block one, not granuler. The granuler ones tend to chanel in much the same way as a sparge will, if run too fast.

Cheers Ross

Hi,

Yes, its carbon that does the taste and odour removal if that's what you are after (including chlorine), and, as Ross says, go for solid activated carbon rather than granulated, etc.

The issue with the pore size on the filters is more about microbes, which get 'strained' out by the carbon or other medium designed for the things that are suspended in the water as oppossed to the things that are actually in solution.

The carbon works by "adsorption". This is a bit different from absorbtion, but basically that taste and odour stuff is attracted to the carbon and clings to it, being left behind.

By contrast, the microbes get strained out. Common microbial concerns on the drinking water end are Crypto (Cryptosporidium parvum) and Giardia (Giardia lamblia). Crypto is what was thought to be in the water with the Sydney scare and has been associated with several really nasty urban water supply outbreaks, which included fatalaties. Giardia is a common thing for backpackers to get and can be a pretty nasty long-term gut problem for the infected.

Both of these protozoans appear in water as cysts that are larger than 1 micron, but the Crypto cyst is flexible and can 'fold' to about 1 micron. For this reason, you'll get recommendations to get a sub-micron filter. The trick there is to make sure that the pore size rating is absolute. This means that there are not any pores larger than that and that nothing bigger than a micron should be able to get through.

With a municipal water supply like Brisbane's, the risk of microbial contamination is pretty low. As you are brewing with it anyhow (boiling), really not a big issue. Shouldn't have any problems with 0.5 micron clogging off a municipal supply. If you do, it is most likely crap coming from your pipes (as opposed to the water supplies).

I did a bit of shopping a while back for some ceramic carbon candle filters for our urn and came across PSI Filters. Prices were best around and I was very happy with the service. (not afiliated, etc.)

Cheers, Brian

You'd be surprised how much sediment there is in town water, where I live (Glenorchy, TAS) we have events where we get a lot of crap in our water, I tested some and it was mostly Al and Fe, aka dirt.

At work (Analytical Lab) we run a couple of water de-ionising units and the set up we have is:
5m pre-filter, 2 stage (this is 2 5m cartridges in series, we change the senond to the first and dispose of the dirty one, takes about 3 months to clog it)
de-ionising resin bed, removes the metals
1 m post filter, I think there is a carbon filter here as well
0.22m polishing filter

Then for further cleanup we have a ultrapure system that cleans it up more for trace analytical work.

I scored a 2 cartridge housing recently and plan to install it with 5m pre filter and a 1 or 0.5m carbon.

OT- is done by holding down ALT and typing 0181.

Latest posts

Back