Fg Variations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flummoxed

Reaction score
My FG readings almost always higher than those cited in the 'blue brewcraft book' - either when I follow exact recipes, or when I add stuff to their recipes and estimate where it should end up.

Can someone tell me how many FINAL gravity points (if any) will be added to a 20 litre kit brew when using (for example) 500 gm of the following:

- Lactose
-Corn Syrup Powder
-Powdered malt extracts as opposed to liquid.
- dark brown sugar.

I currently have a batch in using all 4 of the above with a 'Mulloys Stout Can' and some Fuggles hops, and it has stopped fermenting at around 1026. (after bubbling merrily for 4-5 days).

My reading of comparable recipes tells me 1026 is too high?

(And secondly, The OG came up at only 1058, which I thought was too low considering it included a kit can + 2kg of the above 4 ingredients...........at 1026 it converts out to only about 4.2% - alcohol (before bottle ferment) which seems far too low for a can + 1500gm DME/brown sugar?)

Something seems NQR..............I concede that, although I check these things 50 times, it is possible I misread the OG and it was actually 1068 and has lost 42 points and not 32..........)

Yep 1026 is definitely too high.

A couple of questions: What temperature are you fermenting at? What yeast are you using?

I found that I get lower gravities by ensuring i have plenty of oxygen in the wort before fermenting and make sure your pitching a healthy amount of yeast. I'm assuming your using the kit yeast, in which case get a pack a good quality dry yeast and make sure it's properly re-hydrated before pitching. Or even better get some liquid yeast!

I'd say it's done if you've added 500G each of those things above. Lactose isn't fermentable, and for the most part neither is corn syrup powder. You could try a quick ferment test, draw off a sample, airater the buggery out of it and sit it on a heat belt or something warm, not ideal to make good beer but a good test to see what the lowest possible FG could be.

Edit: All this said 4-5 days ferment isn't very long, leave it for two weeks and it'll be better for it. Finished or not. I doubt it'l get much lower if at all though

How long has it been going?
1.026 does seem a bit high, although I've bottled beer at 1.020 and had no probs.
So what temp are you brewing it at?
Usual rule is leave it for 2 weeks and bottle it after two days with the same reading.
Cheers,
Swanny

I'd say it's done if you've added 500G each of those things above. Lactose isn't fermentable, and for the most part neither is corn syrup powder. You could try a quick ferment test, draw off a sample, airater the buggery out of it and sit it on a heat belt or something warm, not ideal to make good beer but a good test to see what the lowest possible FG could be.

Edit: All this said 4-5 days ferment isn't very long, leave it for two weeks and it'll be better for it. Finished or not. I doubt it'l get much lower if at all though

Thanks, it's been 1026 for 3 days now, and has been in fermenter for 10 days - so I'm guessing it aint going any lower;
I've used 250gm lactose, 250 CSP and 1kg of dry malt extract and 500 gm dark brown sugar..........so 1500gm 'fermentables', but the dry malt powder doesn't ferment right out, correct?

I used the 14 gm 'brewcellar' yeast and it's been at 18-20 dgrees..........

lactose is 100% unfermentable, DME is 70-80% fermentable depending on the manufacturer, the dark brown sugar should be almost entirely fermentable, and maltodextrin is about 30% fermentable AFAIK.

I assume you're using a hydrometer, and not a refractometer?

lactose is 100% unfermentable, DME is 70-80% fermentable depending on the manufacturer, the dark brown sugar should be almost entirely fermentable, and maltodextrin is about 30% fermentable AFAIK.

I assume you're using a hydrometer, and not a refractometer?

I believe so- although I'm unconvinced as to the scientific exactitude involved in using a $10 hydrometer in the 'vessel of your choice' where it can 'lean', 'get caught' on the bubbles on the side of the vial, etc, etc.

Anyway,I read where 1 lb CSP can add 8 points to final gravity? (in 20 litres)
assuming CSP and lactose are similar then 2 x 250 gm of them would add 8 or 9 points?
Add couple more points for the % of 1 kg of DME that doesn't ferment then I'm getting into double figures and the 1026 doesn't seem all that bad..........?

Back