Fg Not Dropping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinfathisar

Reaction score
My FG is remaining stable at 1018 - this brew/s has been in fermenter for almost 4 weeks now and I can't get it below the 1018 - should I go ahead and bottle?

4 weeks at 1.018 should be fine and safe to bottle. I'm sure someone will cone along and explain more throughly though :).

4 weeks at 1.018 should be fine and safe to bottle. I'm sure someone will cone along and explain more throughly though :).
Ingredients , yeast would help. Yeah, others out there with more of an idea than myself.
Providing you're bulk priming it, I'd go with less priming sugar/dex... just in case.

Ingredients , yeast would help. Yeah, others out there with more of an idea than myself.
Providing you're bulk priming it, I'd go with less priming sugar/dex... just in case.
FWK x 2 (Cougar Wit and a Weizen) with American Ale yeast as recommended

not bulk priming

I have never had an extract based brew / kit brew finish below 1.014-1.016. Using Saflager, Safale yeasts.

I havent used dextrose though or white sugar. Usually they allow them to finish lower.

But i have never bottled any brews either. I keg atm.

Cheers,
D80

should I go ahead and bottle?

What temps are you at? Have you tried rousing the yeast?

another way might be to run off a sample tube and warm it up/shake the shit out of it as often as you can for a day or two... if the sample starts to move (sg) then you know you need to raise temps and rouse the yeast..

Ive had many many extract/kits finish at 1012 - 1008 and usually all with safale yeasts so I personally wouldnt be botteling but instead focusing on getting the yeast to move again.

How does it taste?

What temps are you at? Have you tried rousing the yeast?

another way might be to run off a sample tube and warm it up/shake the shit out of it as often as you can for a day or two... if the sample starts to move (sg) then you know you need to raise temps and rouse the yeast..

Ive had many many extract/kits finish at 1012 - 1008 and usually all with safale yeasts so I personally wouldnt be botteling but instead focusing on getting the yeast to move again.

How does it taste?

tastes ok - FG still hasn't gotten any lower - did the shake etc no movement - bottle? bottle with fewer carb drops?

Are you bottling in glass or PET? If glass I'd be inclined to check a bottle every few days to see how the carbonation is comming, if it gets to the point of over carbed then you can crack the bottles open and re-seal them which will release some of the pressure.
Have you contacted the retailer you bought these kits from to ask what the approximate FG should be using that yeast? They'd most likely have the info you need.

I did the Cougar Wit recently using liquid yeast and got down to about 1.010

Latest posts

Back