Fermzilla

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Fermentasaurus does not have this problem. Hard to say what can happen but scratches and micro cracks are great places for bacteria to survive the cleaning process and cause havoc in the next brews.

Hey Guys, cheers for the help its been awesome. Tonight I tried to do a pressure test on the Fermzilla... I filled it up almost half way put the two carb caps on and then turned on the gas. I seem to have a massive gas leak coming out from the lid?? Like i cant get it tight enough. Anybody encounter this with their Fermzilla? Cheers
Take the posts off and check the washer/seal under them. One of mine wasn't sitting right and leaking. You don't need to over tighten them when putting them on

Just got mine up and running... maiden voyage i decided to pressure ferment, bit i didn't have a spunding valve.. so it actually was hitting 35psi fermenting... Yeast seem okay so far .

I flushed the hops with co2 in the bottom chamber and let em on in.. today, my spunding valve still hasn't arrived, and i want to use the zillas co2 to flush my corny, so i improvised.

Attachments

• IMG_20191007_192020.jpg
    IMG_20191007_192020.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 119
Hey Guys, cheers for the help its been awesome. Tonight I tried to do a pressure test on the Fermzilla... I filled it up almost half way put the two carb caps on and then turned on the gas. I seem to have a massive gas leak coming out from the lid?? Like i cant get it tight enough. Anybody encounter this with their Fermzilla? Cheers

I've had it leak from the carb caps (the stainless ones) which i found out after over tightening them it seems, there is a sweet spot with them. Their new plastic carb caps don't have a rubber grommet/seal and rely on the plastic carb cap itself doing all the sealing work, so far so good! I haven't had it leak from the black plastic lid itself yet...

Pic of older Fermentasaurus neck

Awesome, thanks for confirming this. I'm actually in the market for something like the snub nose as i'm yet to actually collect my yeast from the FermZ, good to see they come with the pressure kit and float and are made in Australia, 3 big +++ from me!

Hi everyone, maybe I have to ask this question to everyone.
I searched around a lot, but I can not find information on bottling from fermzilla.
Just wondering, since the brew is already carbonated, do you still have to prime the bottles?
Maybe just half the normal amount of sugar in the bottles?
Thanks in advance.
Norbert

Hey Mate
I had the very same problem. Very frustrating
I had to buy some lube and generously apply this to my lid and hand tighten only worked for me then. It was my first batch and i did try to loosen the lid after fermentation but it would not budge. Luckily i wasn't collecting yeast this time. I will use a lot more lube next batch hopefully it will come off easier

I seem to have a massive gas leak coming out from the lid?? Like i cant get it tight enough. Anybody encounter this with their Fermzilla?
Don't overtighten anything is my #1 tip with the FZ! Back everything off and then simply hand tighten, also lube.

Hi Elmar,
Im new to this site and just bought a fermzilla to give it a go to ferment under pressure.
For a start, I found your video very helpful and informative.
I searched around a lot, but I can not find information on bottling from fermzilla.
Just wondering, since the brew is already carbonated, do you still have to prime the bottles?
Maybe just half the normal amount of sugar in the bottles?
Thanks in advance.
Norbert.[emoji482]
Hi Norbert
I'm thinking if you are already happy with the level of carbonation in your beer, there is no need to use sugar. You may create bottle bombs if you do.
I'm assuming that you have cold crashed and tried a glass or two.
Here are some handy formulas from Fabian: http://www.fabier.de/biercalcs.html
Also see this chart: http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php
This is what Marshall Schott does and has worked well for me: http://brulosophy.com/methods/carbonation-methods/
The tricky bit will be to get your beer into the bottle without frothing. You will need some sort of counter pressure filler set up.
This is what Gash does:
Of course this assumes you are using PET bottles.
See what you think.
Prost, Elmar

The Fermentasaurus does not have this problem. Hard to say what can happen but scratches and micro cracks are great places for bacteria to survive the cleaning process and cause havoc in the next brews.
I saw Denny Conn disputing this on some homebrewing facebook group the other week, claiming that it doesn't happen
I thought about providing links to reasons why it does, but didn't bother because the frothing fanboi masses would have doxxed me into oblivion for not agreeing with the almighty allknowing Denny...

I was thinking it does, (if we are talking bacteria) you can feel the groove and the disadvantage is being PET it cant be scalded. Just have to rely on steriliser, I think once an infection got in it would take some moving.

Hi Norbert
I'm thinking if you are already happy with the level of carbonation in your beer, there is no need to use sugar. You may create bottle bombs if you do.
I'm assuming that you have cold crashed and tried a glass or two.
Here are some handy formulas from Fabian: http://www.fabier.de/biercalcs.html
Also see this chart: http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php
This is what Marshall Schott does and has worked well for me: http://brulosophy.com/methods/carbonation-methods/
The tricky bit will be to get your beer into the bottle without frothing. You will need some sort of counter pressure filler set up.
This is what Gash does:
Of course this assumes you are using PET bottles.
See what you think.
Prost, Elmar
Thanks for you reply Elmar!
No, I don't use pet bottles.
The brew is still in the fermenter, started it Saturday morning. So still a few days to go.
My plan was to syphon it out with a stainless steel bottle filler ( spring seal on the bottom and a tube connection on top).
I guess the beer will be slightly carbonated and will need a little more help in the bottle ( old long necks 750ml), maybe prime it as a stubby?? Just thought there must be someone who's done this before.
Maybe I will have to release the pressure before bottling?? Hope that won't create a big mess.
Will have a look at your links when I get home.
Thanks for your help
Cheers
Norbert

Cheers everyone on the replies to the gas leak issue. I applied quite a bit of lube to the seal and now it seems all good. I didn't realise that stuff can make such a difference. I have to do the same with the collection chamber now cos I had a leak coming out of there but ran out of time to apply lube and check. Will do it tonight.

Cheers

Thanks for you reply Elmar!
No, I don't use pet bottles.
The brew is still in the fermenter, started it Saturday morning. So still a few days to go.
My plan was to syphon it out with a stainless steel bottle filler ( spring seal on the bottom and a tube connection on top).
I guess the beer will be slightly carbonated and will need a little more help in the bottle ( old long necks 750ml), maybe prime it as a stubby?? Just thought there must be someone who's done this before.
Maybe I will have to release the pressure before bottling?? Hope that won't create a big mess.
Will have a look at your links when I get home.
Thanks for your help
Cheers
Norbert
Hi Norbert
I have one of those and they don't work well with carbonated beer.
Probably really need one of these to create a back pressure: https://www.kegland.com.au/counter-pressure-bottle-filler-kit.html
That way you also keep oxygen out.
Depending on the pressure in the Fermzilla, your beer may well be carbed enough. Depending on style of course.
You can always do what I did and install a tap[emoji6][emoji23]

IMG_20191008_112520800_HDR.jpeg
IMG_20191008_112246269.jpeg

Gotta say getting pretty disheartened with the Fermzilla. I can not get it to pressurise now.. it leaks out if the lid.. I've tried heaps of lube and varying levels of tightness but it just leaks..

Starting to get pissed off

Gotta say getting pretty disheartened with the Fermzilla. I can not get it to pressurise now.. it leaks out if the lid.. I've tried heaps of lube and varying levels of tightness but it just leaks..

Starting to get pissed off
Have you taken off the carb caps on the posts? Check the rubber washer under it and they aren't over tightened. If they leak it appears to come from the lid as well

It's definitely not the carb caps. It's the lid. It just won't go tight enough. You can hear the escaping gas get smaller and smaller as you tighten it, but even using the tool which I know you are not meant to use to tighten it does not completely stop the gas leaking. Super frustrating

the o ring doesnt have a nick or anything in it? i found i dont have to do it up tight at all. i overtightened at the start thinking it was leaking but it was my post on the cap. ijust spin it and pretty much leave it where it stops. does the lid piece sit inside the fermzilla neck snuggly?

Are you using the steel or plastic posts?

I'll have to inspect the o ring closely. That's interesting yours does up that easily. The lid piece does almost seem to easily to place in there?..I'll have another look. I've emailed my seller about getting a replacement. But will keep trying with it.

Cheers for your help

Back