Fermentor Infection, Sh*t

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try fermenting 1 beer plastic free (from beginning to end - tun to kettle to silicone transfer to glass demijohn with silicon bung) and see if it makes a difference. One way of nailing down if plastic has anything to do with it.

Try and eliminate all other variables - eg use fresh smack pack in low OG wort so there's no starter building etc.

I had some irritating infections (grassy, no hop flavour or bitterness) which I put down to wild yeast on the property fermenting the beer out. First occurred when a lager yeast failed to start after 4 days and I pitched some dry yeast.

I managed to eliminate most occurrences (can still happen) when I switched from making starters in plastic juice bottles etc to making them in my erlenmeyer (boiled wort, no transfer etc). I still use cubes and the ocassional bit of glad wrap.

Good luck both of you - massive, massive demoralising pain when you think you're doing everything right.

Make sure you pull the tap on your kettle apart and sanitise.

If you have beer stone (that brown cruddy build-up) in your kettle, fill it with water, boil, add heaps of napisan, allow to cool overnight. The brown crud with just rub off with a green scourer.

That crud has a flavour (believe it or not(

cheers

d

^ Agreed. The crust that builds inside a stainless kettle tap after even just one brew is offputting. Not sure if it results in a medicinal flavour but just as I'd clean the crust off a frypan before cooking with it again, I give my kettle a good clean before re-use. That includes the tap and thread.

+1 for cleaning your kettle tap. I strip mine after every batch and soak in dil phosphoric acid.

I had a run of 2 or 3 infected batches a year or so back. I stripped everything and eventually found stuff growing inside the kettle tap. It stunk!! I also found stuff growing in the plastic fermenter taps, despite bleaching the fermenters between every batch. These taps can be pulled apart with pliers for cleaning and I also bleach them.

If your cubes have outlet valves I would strip them and clean between batches also. Takes 2 mins!! Better than funky tasting beer.

All good in Dr Bobs brew house since I started these valve strips every batch.

The only other f**k up was using a new cheap ($5) Bunnings hosepipe to fill my HLT, and imparting a plasticiser smell & taste to the beer. This is the only batch I have ever had to throw out. Just couldn't drink it. I use an old better quality hose now, and always let it run for a few minutes before filling the HLT.

Happy brewing

DrB

Cheers guys will take all on board. I strongly suspect either the kettle tap or transfer hose, as the taste ( which isnt disgustingly horrible, just not right ) is common to all the beers even when using fresh wyeast pouches ( 2 in a row, from 2 different batches in cubes ). I will strip down the cubes taps n all anyway. I just couldn't be arsed at the momet, too pissed off!!

Well, i think i have found my problem. Yesterday i took my kettle tap off to clean and sterilise, and found a split in the valve body so big i could see through it!. This was between the kettle and the tap, and its a good 3mm wide. Looks like a great place for all manner of bugs and shit to move in and start a mixed family with my precious wort. In the process of replacing it now, so fingers crossed this is my problem.

Well, i think i have found my problem. Yesterday i took my kettle tap off to clean and sterilise, and found a split in the valve body so big i could see through it!. This was between the kettle and the tap, and its a good 3mm wide. Looks like a great place for all manner of bugs and shit to move in and start a mixed family with my precious wort. In the process of replacing it now, so fingers crossed this is my problem.

is the crack actually in the body of the tap. do you have a photo we could see. is your tap one of the 3 piece ones, they are stainless steel you are really unlucky for that to split. at least you can get back to making good beer again.

Blast from the past!. I replaced the tao, got some silicon hose, and all is good.

The tao that can be replaced is not the true tao.

Latest posts

Back