Fermentor Infection, Sh*t

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great info guys, if current plan fails I have a lot of other avenues to chase up. This fcken sucks!!!

Ok, so, hopefully this week i'll do a single batch (not risking a double! ) of koelsh. Yup, that's right koelsh. If ever i will know i have even the slightest of infections, it will be when brewing a koelsh haha. If it happens again, hmm i dunno :huh: , I'll probably throw out all cubes for a start hehe. Wish me luck.

If I ever get an infection in a cube of fermenter I always just chuck it, first time. 1 batch of beer costs as much as the cube/fermenter so to me it's not worth stuffing around.

QldKev

I TOO THINK THIS IS THE BEST PROCEDURE, IF IT STINKS CHUCK IT OUT STRAIGHT AWAY, DONT STUFF AROUND WITH AN OLD INFECTED FERMENTER.
oops caps still on.
fergi

I've had a couple of spates of infections that have been very frustrating. One particular flavour I'm fairly certain I can relate to a wild yeast that grows on the property.

I've developed an insane sanitation regime and thrown every cube and fermenter that has been infected and still had the infection (not every brew - maybe one in 3 or 4).

To isolate the problem, I've taken to fermenting in the no-chill cube so clean cube + wort + yeast should be all good. Again - one in three/four/eight whatever - house infection. Frustrating. That's happened in cubes that have been used once before with beer that worked a treat.

More recently, I've questioned my starter vessels. I had one erlenmeyer and if that was busy, I used juice PET bottles. I've now thrown my Juice bottles and bought more erlenmeyers and maybe coincidentally have had no troubles since.

I think glass demijohns and glass starter vessels is eventually where I hope to get.

Anyway, upshot of that - have you looked at your starters or your starter vessel to see if that could be the cause? If not, maybe try a side by side with a plastic fermenter and a glass demijohn.

Also try brewing/fermenting at a mate's place.

Don't go the glass - too dangerous. Buy a better bottle - better than a plastic fermenter because it carries no odours etc. I never trusted the smells that the old plastic fermenters would harbour (rightly or wrongly, I dont care)

Well i think i have my issues under control. I have been a cleaning nazi on Saturday, and done a Little fella pale ale to test it out. My infections issues weren't that serious though, 1 batch that i did keg is actually quite tasty at the moment. Not great but quite drinkable. Well hopefully this Pale Ale works cause i'm about to start a brewing some oktoberfest and i don't want them to turn to shit.

Goid, I presume you're returning hydrometer samples to the fermenter? If so, then don't, just discard it and that infection source problem should be solved! If not, then I'm struggling to see how a likely non- sanitary sample tube, hydrometer and tap exterior could be an infection source if it doesn't come into contact with the fermenting beer? :unsure:
As you've highlighted, everything that comes into contact with the wort must indeed be sanitary, as per reVox keeping the surroundings clean (eg. fermenting fridge, benches etc.) will be helpful of course, while short cuts in sanitation inevitably leads to disappointment.

RdeVjun,

I don't return hyrdometer samples back to fermentor. :eek:

On the brew that I realised my issue I had left it fermenting (untouched) using US-05@17c for 2.5 weeks and it read at FG 1.008 (expected). This first sample was a clean/beer tasting sample. I then, next checked the brew 3 days later (still untouched besides first test) and this sample had lost all its hop flavour and tasted one flavour (bitter/tart) same as the other previous failed attempts. All these brews were different recipes. First bad ones were unhopped extract and boil's with hops, the last couple plain K+K.

I have read that the infectious bugs can't go up (essentially no way of going up the tap) but I have elimated everything else up until this, which has fixed my problem. My results might be unique but results all the same.

Cheers

Goid

Unless the said plastic is 20 years old and cleaned with a wire brush,there is no need to dispose of plastic after an infection.

There is no infection caustic or bleach wont solve.But feel free to spend money on new plastic against $2 for bleach or caustic.Have never had an infection that chemical didn't resolve,within reason of suitable containers.

I have used 30 year old canoe/raft drums as fermenters with no problems.The infection source makes all the difference how to approach brewery treatment.Once you have had a major infection you do things differently but with more of an understanding if you find the cause.

Finding the cause is the most important process.Even if the next few brews are clean

Hoohaaman, you may not have had an infection in plastic that chemicals did not solve, but I have and I believe others do too. I have had it once and I tried every sanitizer I could lay my hands on, and was very persistent throwing out 6 straight brews.
Plastic has a surface that even if you don'y brush heavily is not completely smooth. Chemicals can soak in, as too can bugs, over time. I think both are real issues, even if you don't have detectable infections, what chemicals may be building up in you plastic?
Fear.

Ok, sorta changed my mind. I do an american wheat for my mate, so im gunna do a batch of that. Rather waste a US05, than my 2565 koelsh!. If it goes ok, i at least know that cube and fermentor is ok. All cubes got the same treatment so, hopefully i can get back into it. Hope so, i've just ordered a few more sacks of malt!

4scm68.jpg

Good luck mate!

haha thanks mate!. I was going to sacrifice a virgin for good luck, but damn, i just can't find one!!

Something I have been doing is to soak (with all bots and pieces in it)and clean out my fermenters with the right concentration of bleach (only need a little in cool water- not as effective in hot water I believe) and after a wash out soaking in Starsan and drying upside down on a piece of paper towel before storing cubes or fermenters. Only had one infection so far. Did a double batch of Knappstein, filled three cubes and one had an infection. Blew up in a couple days and nearly exploded. Remember to turn on side too after filling as the handle and cap need to be 'heat treated', but will contain air if not turned.
I think the cap may be a prime suspect. The rubber cannot be easily removed without damaging it and creating more of a problem. I soak them in starsan too. If they do not seal 100%, they will suck in air during the cooling process. Squeeze the cube to ensure no leakage. I tossed my cube immediately. Anyone using wort kits should have plenty spare.

Remember that too high a concentration of cleaner is a) a waste and B) not necessarily a better cleaner or may end up less effective. I used to load up on chlorine until I actually read up that you need only a tiny amount to do the job properly.

I have just discovered that soaking my boiler tap in vinegar+bleach had damaged the seal in it!. When closed its ok, but when i open the tap, wort leaks out through tap handle. I'll probably lose a little wort when cubing, but its not too bad. Will have to replace it though.

I agree with the cube rubber seal, very hard to get out to sanitise.

haha good one!.

So its done, in the cube. Tomorrow morning, i'll pitch some US05, and in a few days i should know if im ok.

Hoohaaman, you may not have had an infection in plastic that chemicals did not solve, but I have and I believe others do too. I have had it once and I tried every sanitizer I could lay my hands on, and was very persistent throwing out 6 straight brews.
Plastic has a surface that even if you don'y brush heavily is not completely smooth. Chemicals can soak in, as too can bugs, over time. I think both are real issues, even if you don't have detectable infections, what chemicals may be building up in you plastic?
Fear.

When "chemicals"(I used the term loosely) are used correctly most become inert in context to what regime is used.I'd be more concerned about the plastic.Especially,the wrong type,used for no chill and leeching.

Sorry about infections they suck,but the best sanitizer won't solve infections if the vessel isn't cleaned properly.

I was merely sighting an example contrary to others that was successful.Would I use it to save a few bucks?Probably not,but after spending money on new equipment I'm less inclined to trash it at first failure.I'll seek an alternative.

haha good one!.

So its done, in the cube. Tomorrow morning, i'll pitch some US05, and in a few days i should know if im ok.

If it's still got bugs in it, you could punish it by putting it through an autoclave. That'll teach it. ;)

Just don't use this one:
Dead_autoclave.jpg

WTF happened there?!!

Only early, but it looks like it might be gone. I pitched US05 yesterday morning, and this morning when i got home, it had a nice 1" krausen, and didn't have the distinct aroma the others did. Wont really know til kegged but it looks ok so far.

P.S who did a go halves with in the EKG, rexbanner?? I have a bad memory :)

Ok, looks like im ok. Ready to keg the beer, and tasting as it should. I've kegged hundreds of beers, but this feels like a huge achievement haha. Now i can brew like a demon and re stock the cubes. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, looks like im ok. Ready to keg the beer, and tasting as it should. I've kegged hundreds of beers, but this feels like a huge achievement haha. Now i can brew like a demon and re stock the cubes. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!

You pitched on the 11th, and you're kegging 3 days later?

Latest posts

Back