Fermentor Infection, Sh*t

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
A week or so ago, i pitched a fresh wyeast into a batch of mild. When i went to top crop, the krausen was much smaller and less dense than usual. Hmm. I kegged it and pitched a batch of bitter with a new wyeast. Same thing happened. Hmmm this is odd, so i dumped it, and gave the fermentor a good sodium percarb soak, and then soaked it in an iodophor solution that would sterilise a hospital. I pitched the 3rd fresh wyeast, after making a starter to make damn sure i had lots of fresh healthy yeast ( the starter had a nice thick krausen ). Today i check it and see the same small, loose head. I drew a sample, and it had the same smell as the other 2. F*cken spewing. Im off to bunnings to get a new fermentor. Damn it!!

If its not the fermentor, i'll have to start pulling stuff apart, :angry:

*inserts INCORRECT! game show buzzer sound.....

Bad luck mate, that must really suck.

On the bright side though, at least you know next time around it won't be the fermenter, and all things being equal, you'll get some beer.

I've had this fermentor for probably 5 years with no drama's. Had a couple of failed batches but could always attribute them to other causes, like a cube not sealed properly, old yeast etc. Frustrating to lose 3 fresh wyeast pouches too!!

Im hoping like hell its the fermentor, otherwise it'll be a pain to trace back!

I've had this fermentor for probably 5 years with no drama's. Had a couple of failed batches but could always attribute them to other causes, like a cube not sealed properly, old yeast etc. Frustrating to lose 3 fresh wyeast pouches too!!

That really sucks man. Declare chemical warfare on your brewery. All the best.

That really sucks man. Declare chemical warfare on your brewery. All the best.

If I ever get an infection in a cube of fermenter I always just chuck it, first time. 1 batch of beer costs as much as the cube/fermenter so to me it's not worth stuffing around.

QldKev

I would too kev, but i didn't taste the first one til the 2nd one was fermenting. It wasn't totally disgusting, but just had an odd flavour, and seemed to have none of the malty goodness im used to in my beers. Just seemed on the dry/thin side, with a funny after taste. I left it, but after tasting a hydro of the second batch, i re tasted the first kegged batch. Yup, no change, clear as mud, so i dumped it. I figured i'd fixed it with my super sterilisation regime, but, same shit on batch 3.

I luckily haven't had any infections so far.
My mate who is a scientist and who also brews told me right from the start not to use anything but a soft cloth to clean the inside of the fermenter.
Even a dishwashing brush could scratch the plastic leaving a little spot for infection to grow.

I aways leave a couple of litres of pink stain remover in the fermenter between brews.
I make sure the tap has been flushed with it thoroughly as well.

The I clean it all again before I use it...even though it would be virtually sterile.

yep ...ditch the fermenter.

Blame the new place mark :D

Sodium percarb is good for cleaning but not so much for sanitising

I'd be inclined to fill it with water and give it a good dose of bleach and leave it

But a new one is pretty cheap insurance

Cheers

I use the sod perc as a cleaner before i hit it with iodophor gino. The iodophor pretty much kills everything hehe.

And i also add sodium metabisulphate as a "dry" sterilant when im not fermenting. I dont rate it as a steriliser, but i have heaps, so i throw some in between brews. I've accidentally breathed that in before, and i can say that it is powerful stuff haha

Got a new bunnings fermentor now, about to hit it with the sod perc soon. Along with anything from my brewery that will fit into a bucket hahaha

Yeah shane, i blame the new house. Bloody new house !!!

Whole thing is being replaced now!.

WHile i have the HLT going, im starting on all empty cubes too. Time to get chemical on these mofo's

:angry: Pitched a cube into my new fermentor with dry US05.

Guess what??

ITS F%CKING INFECTED TOO!!! :angry:

Its a strong medicinal smell. Very p&ssed off.

Ok so, now all cubes ( and my NEW fermentor ) are being hit with bleach + vinegar, and all little things associated with it that can fit into a bucket. I must say this is demoralising, and im verging on paranoia. F^CK F%CK F#CK!!

Im not sure how i got the same infection in 2 different cubes, so the boiler tap is soaking too.

I'd have a few more swear words than that.

Was the cube from the same batch?

QldKev

hoooley doooley. sounds worse than when kids come home from school with a note about head lice~! :(
newbie question ... what's a cube?
is Soda Ash (pH of about 11) any good as a steriliser?

ITS F%CKING INFECTED TOO!!! :angry:

Its a strong medicinal smell. Very p&ssed off.

Ouch :blink:

Sorry to hear that mate, I'd probably be in the ER getting my knuckles stitched up if that was me!

Hope you nuke the little buggers :angry:

hoooley doooley. sounds worse than when kids come home from school with a note about head lice~! :(
newbie question ... what's a cube?is Soda Ash (pH of about 11) any good as a steriliser?

:icon_offtopic: Cubes are basically square food grade jerry cans. You pour your wort in hot and seal it up to allow it to cool and then get stored ready for use.

Here's 3 having a swim in the man pool (it was summer)
nochillpool.jpg

QldKev

If you want to get serious about killing the little fuckers. I recommend sodium percarbonate, sodium metasilicate the hot caustic. If it survives that it deserves to be there.

Another hint Is to sanitize the outside of the cube before pitching also don't forget to clean the tap thread on the fermentor

Take apart your ballvalve on your kettle, and if your using a plate chiller (appears you are not given its a cube), that will probably be the culprit.

Also, check the integrity of your cubes. Poor quality ones can leech chemicals into your wort VERY EASILY. Try chilling a batch. Or better still put some hot water in a cube overnight and taste it the next day.

Back