Fermenting temperature

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah you just plug the fridge into the temp controller and it turns the fridge on and off as required to maintain temp.

If you aren't a complete idiot, (and it doesn't sound like you are, idiots can't punctuate sentences in their posts!) and take some time to do the job properly, you will be able to wire up an stc-1000 using one of the many wiring diagrams available on-line.

There are lots of people that will freak out at my suggestion that you do your own electrical work but... whatever!

Sweet. Will have a look when I get one, my best mates a sparky anyhow if I have any issues.

Just after a bit of advice on something else.

I got a white lab liquid yeast delivered today.

They had a little ice pack in with it, but it was picked up by the courier yesterday avo, and I didn't get it til midday today, meaning it was almost 20 hrs in the back of the van.

Needless to say it was room temp when it arrived, would have been for a while.

Will it still be ok to use?

Cheers

Goodbeer said:
Just after a bit of advice on something else.

I got a white lab liquid yeast delivered today.

They had a little ice pack in with it, but it was picked up by the courier yesterday avo, and I didn't get it til midday today, meaning it was almost 20 hrs in the back of the van.

Needless to say it was room temp when it arrived, would have been for a while.

Will it still be ok to use?

Cheers
1 day transit with an ice pack, in autumn. You should be okay.

You can pick up cheap unwired ones off eBay or you can get them completely wired from places like Keg King. The wired ones are a bit more expensive , around $65 but if you have a sparky friend or are handy yourself with electrics it's supposedly not hard to do.
You just plug you fridge into the cold outlet on the controller and dial in your temp - it's as easy as that. They also have a heating outlet for a mat or heat belt for the colder months
H yeah , and when you plug your fridge into one , set the fridge to its coldest temperature inside ,

Cheers and good beers

There are a few threads on STC's but if you buy all the parts to make a box it will add up to around $40. plus the time to do it and a few beers for your sparky mate, $65 starts to look OK.

Only reason I buy them and make them up is to get flashable STC's. see https://github.com/matsstaff/stc1000p

Righto, think I'll just go for the pre wired one

Have one more question, do I pitch my yeast then chuck the fv straight into the swamp cooler, or do I need to wait til fermentation begins?

Thanks again, will post tonight how it goes

Get to temp before adding your yeast(or as close as you can) and put into cooler straight away.

Make sure yeast is at same temp as wort, or there abouts. So if you have it in the fridge get it out an hour or so before pitching to let it warm to wort temp.
You will kill a lot of yeast if temp difference is too much.
*look into yeast starters and pitching rates...Mr Malty is a good start.

Just completed brew no.1, might have fucked it.

My rehydrated US 05 was clumpy, pitched it anyway, but threw in another one dry just to make sure.

Had a 15l bottle of water in the fridge, thought that'd go close to bringing he boil down to room temp, but made it a bloody igloo in there, ha! Temp wasn't even registering on the stick on thermometer coz it only goes down to 10!!!!!

Anyhow put the heatbelt on, will leave it til Italy's a bit higher an hope for the best.

Thanks for all the advice

Yes, got woken up by the airlock blowing a gale!

Beer is up to 22, seems to be going well, stoked

Hello all

So I'm two days after my brew. Airlock is bubbling about every 5 secs. Temp is about 22. I've lined up a fridge and temp controller for my next batch. So decided to dispense with the cooler, purely to see what happens at a slightly higher temp, could be a mistake.

Was just wondering, the krausen is kind of green. Is a bit hard to tell due to the lid being a touch hazy, but definitely looks green. Just wondering if this is common?

I did put 28g of halertau in at 15, and 14g in at 5, maybe got a bit carried away, but it smells bloody amazing. There was a fair bit of sludge in the wort. I poured the wort back and forth between pot and fv a few times, and gave it a good stir after pitching, thought that might help getting temp back up after my initial error.

So is green good, bad or neither?

Cheers

Goodbeer

Good chance the green krausen is just hop matter.

She'll be right..

Back