Fermenting fridge. questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsupraboy

Reaction score
So I've converted this fridge to a Fermenting fridge.

My question is. Do I need to put some type of air relief in for when I close the fridge or when pressure builds up in it from Fermentation causing negative pressure in the fridge

20140205_082147.jpeg

Confusing post.
Air relief?
How would bulding (rising?) pressure inside the freezer also create negative pressure inside the freezer?
Without waiting for clarification, there is nothing to be concerned about except, perhaps, falling into the freezer with the lid closing on you and suffering from Co2 asphyxiation

no, she'll be right

Or doing your back lifting a FV in or out of said fridge.

When I close the fridge then open straight away the air lock moves and bubbles. Not naturally. I'm thinking when I close the fridge it adds some pressure in it. I just not sure if it will affect the brew

And I wasn't sure to if after time if too much pressure would build up from Fermentation inside the fridge.

Why do that then?
The airlock - which is not needed - moves because lifting the lid creates some suction.
Will not affect the brew.

NewtownClown said:
falling into the freezer with the lid closing on you and suffering from Co2 asphyxiation
Ooh.Never thought of it like that.
I've been known to open mine and inhale the malty / hoppy aroma within. Have I been asking for trouble all along??

OP.
Fit your fridge with an airlock if your worried.

A lot of people discard the lid and wrap the FV in gladwrap / cling film.

Relax, all will be okay with the Fermeezer.

Or use a blow-off tube.

Or cling-wrap around the fermenter, with the fermenter lid o-ring around the glad wrap.

If you're like me, or most brewers I assume, you'll open it at least once a day to check it, admire it, smell it. That's going to relieve any pressure that may build up. Not that I've ever been thrown across the brew shed by the pressure expelled when opening my ferm fridge.

The pressure in mine leaks out the seal where my tempmate probe and heat belt power cable are routed

But if you don't use an airlock there won't be a problem, so blow off or glad wrap

Dave70 said:
Ooh.Never thought of it like that.
I've been known to open mine and inhale the malty / hoppy aroma within. Have I been asking for trouble all along??

OP.
Fit your fridge with an airlock if your worried.
LOL, No.
Although, throughout history, many a brewer has been overcome by co2, as detailed here

Ok thanks guys

So what is the purpose of an airlock. So do I just remove it and it will ferment fine

Use glad wrap instead of a lid and airlock.
Search the forum you will find a bunch of info about it.
It's fairly common and a great way to keep tabs how fermentation is progressing, plus your fermenter takes up less space.

I use the coopers fermenters that have no airlock, I did my first brew with an airlock fermenter and became obsessed with the bubbling :blink:

After switching to the non airlock fermenters I just ignore the brew for 2 weeks and rely on the gravity to tell me whats happening.

+1 for the glad wrap approach, I have also used sterilized tin foil which worked fine.

Latest posts

Back