Fermenting containers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xander

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm not too far away from my first brew!

I'm thinking of doing some smaller sized batches with a few diffferent types of beers to get some experience etc.

My question is - would a bucket like http://www.bunnings.com.au/maxipail-11l-handy-pail-with-lid_p4470109 be suitable for fermenting?

Obviously I would have to make a hole for the air lock etc but would something along these lines work, or is it best to stay away from this?

If this is no good, can you advise on anything you have tried, and had success with?

Thanks in advance

You can ferment in bloody near anything, and you do not need an airlock. As long as it's food grade plastic, and can be covered (search glad wrap), you can ferment in it.

Anything will do.

Currently I've got some *extremely* tiny brews going in old 3 litre drink containers. You can pick up 5 litre glass bottles with air locks to fit from any brew stores. Some have 10 litre fermenters too. I have a 10 litre container that used to have drinkable water (from the supermarket) that I am going to ferment in some time (snaffled it at the end of a family holiday during Christmas). You can also get 'food grade' buckets from a number of places.

I bought 10 of the 20L Maxipails from bunnings. Drilled some holes in the lids, popped in grommets for airlocks. They're awesome.

I have 2 of the 20 litre version from Bunnings, for fermenting cider and as bottling buckets. Also, from Officeworks, 12 litres of spring water in PET for $9.99. Use the water in your brew and then ferment in the container.
Just remember the smaller the batch the more accurate your measuring has to be.

Latest posts

Back