Fermenting And Dispensing Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6tri6ple6

Reaction score
I was thinking of fermenting and dispensing from a keg in the same fridge. What is everyones thoughts? Would this have any adverse effects on my kegged beer? Warming it up for a week or so and then rechilling it to pour again?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Cheers

Richard

be best just to look out for another fridge or chest freezer you can get them cheap. My first fridge was free and holds 1 fermenter (from relative), Second fridge was $30 (from ebay) and holds 2 fermenters and my chest freezer was $50 holds 4 kegs, was on ebay but was on bidding and I wanted it that day so sent him a message offering $50 and he took the listing off and I went straight around and got it all work perfect.

You would be surprised how little energy they use I think the keg freezer cost like 17c a week to run and I have not put the energy meter on the other 2 but id say bugger all as well.

be best just to look out for another fridge or chest freezer you can get them cheap. My first fridge was free and holds 1 fermenter (from relative), Second fridge was $30 (from ebay) and holds 2 fermenters and my chest freezer was $50 holds 4 kegs, was on ebay but was on bidding and I wanted it that day so sent him a message offering $50 and he took the listing off and I went straight around and got it all work perfect.

You would be surprised how little energy they use I think the keg freezer cost like 17c a week to run and I have not put the energy meter on the other 2 but id say bugger all as well.

i do not have the room for a second fridge/freezer as i live in a small house. Will doing tis have any negative effect on the kegged beer?

Aquarium heater in fermenter controlled by temperature controller in serving fridge. ThirstyBoy has done this for years.

Dual-zone fridge/freezer with cabinets that are big enough for fermenters/kegs that you can control independently. This is what I do for fermenting/lagering.

TB has posted near-endlessly about it in this place and I mumbled about my setup on my blog.

I sort of do this with every brew. Out of the fridge where it's been crash chilled for a few days, into a keg and behind the bar where the keg will sit at room temp for a week or three, then into the fridge when there's space. I guess I wouldn't want it chilled then warmed too many times, but my guess will be that doing it once for a week or two wont have any noticable effects.

I have both a fermenting chest freezer and a serving chest freezer with collar. Both are separate unit. I think it would be quite difficult to use the serving unit as a combined fermenting fridge. My fermenter freezer has just died after 35 years service and I intend to replace it with a fridge unit as I believe that the crash cooling of the freezer is a bit too severe on the yeast.

Cheers, Hoges.

Re: "...the crash cooling of the freezer is a bit too severe on the yeast."

My chest freezer w/Fridgemate 'crash chills' to -2c for 24hrs, then 0c for 6-10 more days. Then bottled cold into PET, stored in the house to carbonate 18-20c, and are solid to the 'squeeze test' by 5-7 days. Then into fridge, 7c

Cheers

I have both a fermenting chest freezer and a serving chest freezer with collar. Both are separate unit. I think it would be quite difficult to use the serving unit as a combined fermenting fridge. My fermenter freezer has just died after 35 years service and I intend to replace it with a fridge unit as I believe that the crash cooling of the freezer is a bit too severe on the yeast.

Cheers, Hoges.

Same fridge - fermenting and serving. brew at fermenting temps and beer at serving temps. No need to compromise, you just burn a little extra energy when you are actually fermenting a beer. But if you think about it - not as much extra energy as you would burn to run a seperate fridge.

Proof
IMG_1617.jpg
IMG_1609.jpg

As you can see, although i only have one tap, there is room for two kegs, assorted beer and a fermenter in there. The second keg is cold conditioning, but i could put in another tap if i wanted. Plus the freezer still works as a freezer, so thats where all my hops etc are stored. Note - freezer was defrosted shortly after photo taken, so no smartarse comments OK.

As Spills said, been doing it for years. Also posted numerous times about exactly how. You can do a search for my posts and you should find them. Essentially its

*Fridge normal, no temp control
*Fermenter with aquarium heater submerged in it. Insulated as in the picture. Less insulation is no good (use too much energy) more is no good (beer gets too hot)
*For ales at 18+ thats all you need as the AQ heater has its own temp control
*For temps below 18 (never found an aquarium heater that goes lower) you need an to plug the heater into an external temp controller. For this application, IMHO a fridgemate is not good enough, its temperature hysteresis is too high. I use a PID, but strongly suspect one of the Tempmate style controllers with the sub 0.5 accuracy and low hysteresis would be OK too.

Now i have to note that i keep my fridge at about 6 not the normal <4, so if you run your beer fridge super cold... Then it will run a fair bit while you have a beer fermenting. But mine probably only runs 20-25% more when i am fermenting an ale and less than that for a lager.

It works very well indeed and solves the OP's problem without ever having to let his beer warm up at all.

TB

Slightly :icon_offtopic: TB - good to see some SA brewery produce (Coopers) in the bottom shelf fella! :icon_cheers:

Back