• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Fermenters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is an interesting page and confirms that
a) The upside-down carboys do work
and
B) my idea of using chilled glycol through an auto tranny cooler would also work!

I seem to recall another thread where someone also explained that the setup sort of works but not near as efficiently as a propper conical, just a happy comprimise between the 2 styles. To claim it is a conical is not right.
I guess it's once again what works best for each of us, each of us uses. Spend the doe and try it. Then report back. I'm willing to be corrected.

Cheers

Borret :blink:

HI,

First post. woohoo!

Does anyone know if the original poster is still offering fermenters? I dropped him an email 2 days ago with no reply.

If not does anyone know where I can get them for similar prices?

Cheers

Troy

troywhite said:
HI,

First post. woohoo!

Does anyone know if the original poster is still offering fermenters? I dropped him an email 2 days ago with no reply.

Welcome to AHB Troy.
I haven not had any replies either, so the assumption is they are no longer available from him.

Beers,
Doc

Just a thought - perhaps you could simulate a conical by somehow getting a magnetic stirrer, much like sosman's for starters, into the carboy, thereby bringing the trub to the center, allowing it to be drained off as required.

Just a thought - perhaps you could simulate a conical by somehow getting a magnetic stirrer, much like sosman's for starters, into the carboy, thereby bringing the trub to the center, allowing it to be drained off as required.

I really dont know if a stir plate would be strong enough to be effective through all the stopper and glass in the carboy. Maybe a mechanical stirrer would be a better option??

Problem would be getting a good seal around a mechanical stirrer. In fact, just getting it in there. The best solution I can think of is to use a small pump to force liquid at a tangent to the side of the carboy, thereby creating a rotating current.

Anyone end up getting in touch with this guy this year? Planning on getting a 60L fermenter soon so looking for cheap options :)

Jason, I bought a couple of 60l jobbies from a bloke in Safety Bay last year. $40 each, he had loads of them and advertises in the Quokka.
But it was last year :(

JasonY said:
Anyone end up getting in touch with this guy this year? Planning on getting a 60L fermenter soon so looking for cheap options :)
[post="98263"][/post]​

He never returned any of the emails/PM's I sent. So I guess he isn't in the business anymore, or his contact details have changed.

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
He never returned any of the emails/PM's I sent. So I guess he isn't in the business anymore, or his contact details have changed.

Bugger, not a bad price even with shopping to WA.

Vlad the Pale Aler said:
Jason, I bought a couple of 60l jobbies from a bloke in Safety Bay last year. $40 each, he had loads of them and advertises in the Quokka.
But it was last year :(
[post="98268"][/post]​

Will have to keep my eyes open for one, HBS wants about $80 for one which is a bit steep :angry:

Vlad, where in Safety Bay?(It's where I live)
I've seen a guy selling lotsa snaptop buckets of various sizes at the sunday swapmeet at Rocko beachfront, but I doubt it's the same dude.

Sorry Simon I cant find any details or remember the address, but telling you he is a scouser ( pom from liverpool) doesnt really narrow it down as they are pretty thick on the ground around there.

Thanks anyway Vlad, I think the guy at the markets is a Pom. I'll ask him on Sunday if he's there.
Your right about the Pom's being thick around here, Rocko has been known as 'Little England' for years, long before the TV show of the same name!

Simo

EDIT: ahhhh, I'll ask him if he's got 60L screwlids, not if he's a Pom! LOL

Simon let me know if you have any success Rockingham is only a 10min drive at the moment so it will suite me :)

Jason, No joy on Sunday, he wasn't there.
He might have been at another market, so I'll check again Sun. coming.

There was a guy selling food-grade 25L buckets with lids for $5. Good thickwalled solid buckets, no tap hole tho. Also had 10L for $4 and 5L for $2.

Simo

Sorry Jason, still no joy.
I browse the swapmeet every Sunday, so when I spot him I'll let you know.

Thanks Simon, hoping to get a chest freezer in a couple of weeks so that will free the fridge up to hold one of these beasts :)

Just saw this thread and thought I'd mention that all sorts of cheap plastic containers can be bought direct from plastics retailers/wholesalers. Try Packaging Materials in The Yellow Pages, Plastic Extruders etc. A few phone calls will set you right.

These places are worth a visit, they're like a Brewer's Bunnings with everything from plastic 240litre containers right down to spray bottles. Prices are at least a half of your LHBS. Though if your LHBS is good, like mine, I give them the money!

Just thought this might be handy for some of you bigger brewers or for some where every dollar counts. :beerbang:

Latest posts

Back