• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Fermenters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, my mistake. I for a moment thought it was some perverted refference to coccles and their link to the female anatomy..... But even that was too abstract.

And yep. ....... Friday arvo...... pub for lunch..... Ahhhh.

Borret

I went and bought a glass carboy on saturday and its awesome! i don't know why i didn't get 1 or 2 previously.

I guess there is no real advantage to it but i just love the fact that you can see it all going on without having to open the fermenter. I also can't see how you can have an seal issues with these either which is a plus.

So where did you end up getting it? Did you find the right price?

Borret :blink:

I got it from Mark's. I really didn't get the right price, i paid $75 for it a bung and a airlock.
I'm sure i could have got it cheaper anywhere but Mark always either rounds the price down or give me stuff for free so i'm not complaining.

Just decided to go over to glass myself - My local's charging me $50 including bung - so seems like I'm getting a good deal... :D

Bugger, just found out they're only 23L - not really big enough for my 26L batches & their next size up is 57L complete with tap in a wicker basket for $115. Do they come in other sizes? 57L is a bit too big for me...

just answered my own question & ordered a 37L one for $89... :D

And that 23 litres is with absolutely no headspace! I'm pretty sure the yanks do a 7.5 gal one but I haven't been able to find them here. There is a bit more of a range in winemaking supplies though.
These guys are offering a 34 litre in a basket, but I'm not sure of the shape. But for 68 bucks it's not too bad.

Cheers

Its cheaper then my 23ltr anyway...........

Jino said:
haha
Where abouts did you order it from?
[post="61429"][/post]​

My local hbs - but I just emailed them Borrets link, so hopefully the price will improve - though I guess the quality probably varies as well....

JGrif

Grain and grape have them but the base of a glass carboy isn't steep enough to work as a conical.

cheers

Borret

Borret said:
JGrif

Grain and grape have them but the base of a glass carboy isn't steep enough to work as a conical.

cheers

Borret
[post="61437"][/post]​

Bugger!!! That excitement was short lived....

Sorry to burst that bubble of excitmemnt Ross. That is what I have read elsewhere. A conical normally has a 60 deg cone and if you look at the carboys they go almost horizontal in the neck transition. This wouldn't allow the yeast to fall back in as efficiently as a conical , even with the current created by the ferment, and come time to tap the yeast off there would still be some settled on the tranisition. They may still work a little but not like a propper conical.

Cheers

Coffee grounds are also good for cleaning carboys and demijohns

Jovial Monk

Borret said:
And that 23 litres is with absolutely no headspace! I'm pretty sure the yanks do a 7.5 gal one but I haven't been able to find them here. There is a bit more of a range in winemaking supplies though.
These guys are offering a 34 litre in a basket, but I'm not sure of the shape. But for 68 bucks it's not too bad.

Cheers

[post="61431"][/post]​

Borret - just rang them as only 20 mins from me - Their website prices are well out of date & they would lose money at that price - said they would honour the quote, but expect new prices very shortly...

Jovial_Monk said:
Coffee grounds are also good for cleaning carboys and demijohns

Jovial Monk
[post="61444"][/post]​

Civet coffee might work.... After all it's already cleaned out a cats bowel :p

Borret :blink: .

Borret said:

Cheers

[post="61431"][/post]​

Borret - just rang them as only 20 mins from me - Their website prices are well out of date & they would lose money at that price - said they would honour the quote, but expect new prices very shortly...

How did that happen? - & can't delete it...

Latest posts

Back