Fermenter Size For 10l Batches

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what Im affraid of, I dont want a mess.

In a 15Lt pot, then just say 8Lt..

Roughly what quantity of grain am I looking at?
and what quantity of water?

I started BIAB with a 16L pot. I used to mash 2-3kg of grain in 12 litres of water and rinse the grain with an additional 2L. If I gave the bag a good squeeze Id have 13 litres in the pot at the start of the boil.

Admittedly this was slightly too much for the size of the pot so Id suggest you aim to boil no more than 70% of your pots volume. I used this approach to make heaps of 10L brews without a boil over. However, I never took my eye off the pot at the start of the boil and adjusted the temperature accordingly.

What I plan on using for my 10L batches is the 15L bottle you get the fresh wort kits in from ndbrewing. Figure a 15L fermenter would cost me more than the $2 refund for returning it.

They already have a thread for the tap so all I'm going to do is drill a hole in the lid for the grommit and airlock.

Sneddy,

I have four of the ND Brewing FWK containers I use for small batch experiments. I syphon as the container design and tap placement results in the trub being at least level with, if not completely submerging, the tap outlet. I too drilled a lid for an airlock but now just use gladwrap & rubber band.

I filled a container with 16.5L of hot water. ie. right to the brim. I regularly fill with 15L of wort, but set the Fridgemate at the yeast's lower end of temperature range. and a couple degrees lower for a couple days once the yeast kicks off. No blowovers.

Napisan for cleaning.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back