Fermenter Shape

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No.

Being round makes it easier to clean though

There are many options in which you can ferment in...

The majority is 'round'..

But if you DASFFS you will find a heap of info!

xoxo

Lodan said:
No.

Being round makes it easier to clean though
I ferment in those BMW 20L Jerry cans you get from Bunnings/Super Cheap Auto/BLAH BLAH as I can fit 3 of these in my fermenting fridge. These are rectangle, and the holes in the top I cant even get my hand in them and i manage to clean them well by filling them with hot water and a capful of cheap aldi nappisan for a good soak.

manticle said:
No but it does need to be orange.
I havent come across an orange one yet, but I get by with the white ones.

Dupont uses some square fermenters. Or used to, at least. I think conicals have replaced some of their square ones.
Then there's Yorkshire squares too.

go to bunnings. get a 23L jerry can. amazingly cheap. thin and good stuff.

manticle said:
No but it does need to be orange.
The tap must be white though, otherwise you'll get the mother of all infections.

Shape is not the concern. Surface area on the bottom is more the issue.

Hence conicals are not as good as flat bottom vessels. Conicals really only make it easier.to harvest yeast.

I whent from round ferms to cubes... found that cubes gave a slightly better fermentation...

A good trick is to put your ferm on a slight lean so the tap is raised.

um...if you put your ferm on a lean so the tap is higher then the trub and yeast will settle below the tap.....

Ok, i thought it was some secret, I was starting to get the idea that the tap should ideally be a little hight in the fermenters.

Back