Fermenter Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Middo

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm probably covering old ground here but I wanted to check in with what people prefer to use for fermenting at the target temperatures, as in Fridge or Freezer. I'm in SEQ and have 2 X 60 litre fermenting tubs and will be brewing 20 litre batches from a biab setup. Originally I was looking at chest freezers but the dimensions of these aren't suitable in the sub 210litre form due to the high points these have for the condensers in the floor.

I've now been looking at stand up medium size fridges without freezers. I found one second hand on the cheap and was going to buy this as it will easily accommodate 2 vessels in the upright position and could potentially be used for storing hops and yeast etc though not sure if these should be kept cooler or not but that's a secondary requirement to the actual fermentation needs I'm currently trying to fulfill. I already have a digital thermostat control ready to go to keep the desired temp in range and just wanted to check what other people think should I carry through and pick this fridge up tonight.

The other benefit in going upright is it's going to leave me adequate space too in the garage as I have plans down the track to put in a large/broken down 500+ litre chest freezer for grain storage.

Cheers,
Adam

I'd say go with the fridge if it is cheap enough. The problem with chest freezers is if you do happen to upscale and start filling the 60L fermenters they will be really heavy to lift out or into a chest freezer.

BTW it is recommended to store hops in a freezer and yeast in the fridge.

I use a fridge and have found it to be pretty good.

As Tropical_Brews says, I imagine lifting a full fermenter out of a chest freezer would be a pain in the arse. Would also disturb trub too.

Provided the fridge actually works I think you'll be fine fermenting in it.

Tropical_Brews said:
I'd say go with the fridge if it is cheap enough. The problem with chest freezers is if you do happen to upscale and start filling the 60L fermenters they will be really heavy to lift out or into a chest freezer.

BTW it is recommended to store hops in a freezer and yeast in the fridge.
Thanks for the quick response. I got a good price on the fridge, $90 pickup for an old Kelvinator 320L 1530MM H , 590MM W, 660MM D.

I'm picking it up tonight after work, doing my first brew Saturday so needed to find something in a hurry. Cheers for the hops and yeast advice. I've bought hops last week which is currently in the fridge, will transfer to the freezer tonight. I'm kinda learning on the fly and have a few more chapters to go in the How To Brew book as it only arrived the other day and I've skipped everything and reading the all grain brewing chapters atm. I've got my mash temps/times and ph/water parts to a limited point of understanding so hopefully I wont make too many mistakes Saturday.

As others have said, fridges are nice and easy. In one of them I've got a wood panel cut to the same size as the bottom shelf, and the fermenter sits on that, nice and stable. I got a tuckerbox for lagering, and it can be a bit of a pain lifting fermenters in and out of it but it's only every few months that it needs to be done so not that bad.

If you keep your eye out you can often pick up free fridges on gumtree and sometimes on here. Before you know it you're sneaking them into the garage so wifey doesn't give you the "another fridge look", it's just easier if it's already in there by the time she realises. :ph34r:

Judanero said:
As others have said, fridges are nice and easy. In one of them I've got a wood panel cut to the same size as the bottom shelf, and the fermenter sits on that, nice and stable. I got a tuckerbox for lagering, and it can be a bit of a pain lifting fermenters in and out of it but it's only every few months that it needs to be done so not that bad.

If you keep your eye out you can often pick up free fridges on gumtree and sometimes on here. Before you know it you're sneaking them into the garage so wifey doesn't give you the "another fridge look", it's just easier if it's already in there by the time she realises. :ph34r:
I've already convinced the misses that well be ahead in 12 months with the money saved brewing my own rather than buying cartons every week.

I even got a nod from the misses for negotiating $10 off the asking price. Top woman really, all I need to do is teach her how to pore a glass and change the kegs over and I'll be set.

I snuck the first two in-no probs, she knew when I was going to pick up three and four (not happy on both occasions) but when I got caught wheeling number five in she was actually impressed... something to the effect of "wow that is a nice fridge, good job but no more". She didn't say not to add a tuckerbox to the family, so I did.

:icon_offtopic: This valentines day when I got up (10am sleep in, blisss) she surprised me by saying she'd almost finished brewing me a beer, just had to add the last hops. She had followed the recipe sheet almost to the letter.

Apart from the 66 minute mash at 90 degrees. It was the thought that counts.

I have a pretty small fridge only model, can fit 2x 30L fermemters. That and an STC1000 = B)

Latest posts

Back