Fermentation Time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maeldric

Reaction score
Ok quick question here. Was reading through one of my recipe books at home and came across a lager that was apparently in primary fermentation for 10 weeks. It won first prize at a national comp over in America. I would of thought 10 weeks would be too long on the yeast cake bringing in unwanted flavours or even going off? So I guess my question is does this seem like an unreasonably long period of time to have your beer in primary, and what is the longest you guys have left a beer go for?

Cheers.

Yo,

One thing to remember is that primary fermentation is still continued if you rack to a 'secondary'... I know confusing huh.... So it my not have been on a full trub for a 10 week period.

Anyway, I never push an Ale past 3 weeks, 2 weeks usually but would trust 3 if I had to..

I am sure Lagers may be a different story but don't really brew them myself so can't say.

Cheers

Lagers are fermented cool thus the risk of autolysis is a lot lower. The yeast doesn't die as soon as it's stopped fermenting and the rush to get it off the 'bad yeast cake' can probably hurt your beer more than leaving it for another week or two.
I've had ales left in the fermenting fridge for just shy of a month. I've had a Saison spend 13wks on the yeast, but it was still fermenting at that stage.
I'd agree that 10wks sounds like a long time, but I'd usually ferment for 3-4wks for a lager anyway and then leave it up to 3 months in a secondary cube, which still has yeast in suspension (no filtering). So the recipe is achieving much the same, without the risk of oxidation and infection from the transfer.

Latest posts

Back