Fermentation Temperature

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davo6869

Reaction score
I remember that word from high school science. (I'm now a criminal lawyer)

I have been noticing that my ale yeast batches appear to be warmer than the ambient temperature in the garage. This could be because;

1. fermentation itself produces warmth (exothermic?) and therefore it is perfectly normal for this to be the case, or

2. my thermomenter is crap and needs replacing.

Anyone noticed this phenomena?

I'm hoping that fermentation does produce a little warmth as current temps are perfect for ales and it bodes well for weekly batches of liquid love.

I remember that word from high school science. (I'm now a criminal lawyer)

I have been noticing that my ale yeast batches appear to be warmer than the ambient temperature in the garage. This could be because;

1. fermentation itself produces warmth (exothermic?) and therefore it is perfectly normal for this to be the case, or

2. my thermomenter is crap and needs replacing.

Anyone noticed this phenomena?

I'm hoping that fermentation does produce a little warmth as current temps are perfect for ales and it bodes well for weekly batches of liquid love.

I am pretty new to this myself, but from what I have read and observed from my own initial brews, the initial part of the fermentation when the yeast is super active certainly does generate heat.

I have found that it does drop down after a few days, at which time you may need to watch and control your temperatures if it falls lower than you want.

So yeah... it is exothermic.

Cheers,

Brendo

Your observations agree with mine as well. Alot of people on here use 'thermowells' to get the thermometer probe in the middle of the wort and the temp will generally be 1-2degs above ambient.

I have much more a science, thermodynamics and chemistry background and I asked that very question of the Coopers brewers.
The response was that YES fermentation is exothermic, that is, it produces it's own heat; however in the context of uncontrolled tempratures of home brewing it's of far less consequence than initial wort temperarture and all the other variables, so they said to forget it.

Wrap a layered blanket around the fermenter and you can help retain this warmth if you want it to keep the temp up.

At this time of year it's a tricky line between holding this heat in to maintain temps and getting it too warm; and losing too much and having it go cold on you. The time of the year when ales can be done without external heating is fast dissappearing, my last is in the fermenter now.

davo, would be helpful to know your location, winter in Darwin is different to Tassie!

The best solution of course is a heating pad or belt inside a fridge, then you have CONTROL!

I think you forgot one. Are you really a brewer or just want to make CO2?

I said "by products" as in stuff that's just along for the ride.

SWMBO would argue that CO2 is perhaps the least noxious of the gases I make :huh: .

grant

Back