Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Cider fermentation on pause?

Discussion in ''Non Beer' Brewing' started by muddytrails, 30/12/17.

1. muddytrails

Posted 30/12/17
    I started a small 1 gallon batch of cider last Sunday using a bottled Honey Crisp cider from Trader Joes. Fermentation started off real nice, and then 2 days ago quit altogether. It's very cold in my area now, and our home brewery is not well heated. I checked the room temperature daily using a cool laser thermometer, and while low - we were in range around 63 - 65 degrees Celsius (143-149 F).
    I used an english ale yeast and did add yeast nutrient.
    I moved the fermentation to the hallway where it's a little warmer (we have an ancient house) but the yeast party hasnt kicked back up. I'm leaning twords leaving it, but the bf says we can taste and force carbonate now (in a mini keg).
    Thoughts?

2. Garfield

Posted 30/12/17
    63'C doesn't sound cold... Did you convert the wrong way by any chance?

What are the signs of stalled ferment?

3. muddytrails

Posted 30/12/17
    Havnt seen any bubbles in the airlock in days. Nothing, nada. It was going pretty good too, could it have finished that quickly? (Just a gallon) I didn't think 63 was cold either.

4. Garfield

Posted 30/12/17
    Airlocks can deceive. Have you taken a hydrometer reading?

5. muddytrails

Posted 30/12/17
    Reading came in at 1.02 !

I'm thinking its because we used yeast from the previous batch so it just went to town very efficiently? I also was surprised at how tart it came out. The original recipe used a quart of pear juice and 3 qts apple. I couldnt find pear but i thought cherry would make a nice touch to the cider :D. BF was surprised too, then reminded me that thats why they use cherry in making lambics (which i like). So I started calling this cider my accidental faux lambic. We transferred it to another glass jug, topped it off with some more unfiltered cider, and added a clarifying agent. I was going for a cider with a hint of cherry, this will be interesting when it finishes.

6. manticle

Standing up for the Aussie Bottler

Posted 30/12/17
    63 deg C is hot enough to cook an egg or around the required internal temperature of medium steak so I reckon your conversion is a bit off.

Always best to check fermentation using an hydrometer as airlock activity is inaccurate.

Also do you mean 1.020 or 1.002? If 1.002, it's very close to finished but cider can get below 1.000 so wait a bit more.

7. muddytrails

Posted 31/12/17
    Whoops I ment 63F

8. Garfield

Posted 31/12/17
    As I suspected. About 18 Celsius? Give it more time and check gravity again. Cidars can take a long time to get to terminal gravity

muddytrails likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted