Fermentation Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanFranko

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

i have been lurking for a while now and never really had the need to post a question as this awesome forum seems to be able to answer all my questions! :beerbang:

anyway, first post...so hello and here's my Q.

i have rigged up my second fridgemate (thanks Ross) to an upside down fridge-freezer. All working great - the plan is to use it for fermenting and beer storage when available. This has probably been done to death, but when the fridge is running at 4 degrees the freezer is still below zero - there is no way to adjust the fridge/freezer independently and i can't drill holes between them.

so how about this - would wedging the freezer door open just enough to warm it to about 4 degrees (this would take some experimenting) be an option?? I dont think that this would stress the compressor or other bits of the fridge because as far as i am aware it will be working irrespective until the fridgemate turns it off based on the fridge temp...To that end it also shouldnt use any more power (etc).

can any of you experienced brewers let me know if this seems viable or am i just being stupid? I would only use the freezer part for beer storage as i wouldnt trust that i could maintain a relatively even temp for fermenting.

loving the home brewing so far - done about 6 batches - first use of grains was on sat and thats now happily brewing away at 12 degrees in my 'kegerator' - can't wait to fire up that one! :icon_drunk:
thanks guys and cheers for any help :beer:

Dan

You might get the temp right, but with the door open you will get heaps of condensation I reckon.
May or may not be a problem for you. Give it a try.

Bud

depending on what fridge it is it will have the cooling coils either in the side or back of the fridge[spray some water on them and you should see or ask a fridge repair mecanic]freezer prob top or bottom,cut holes in back or side with no pipes to suit 90mm pvc water pipe 90* elbows as low as poss in freezer/high as poss in fridge fit straight pipe between with comp cooling fan mounted in pipe with air flow blowing from freezer to fridge,if your lucky to have coils in rear you can fit another pipe minus fan on opposite side creating a constant flow system with even temp in both
Russ

Hi everyone,

i have been lurking for a while now and never really had the need to post a question as this awesome forum seems to be able to answer all my questions! :beerbang:

anyway, first post...so hello and here's my Q.

Hi, Welcome.

i have rigged up my second fridgemate (thanks Ross) to an upside down fridge-freezer. All working great - the plan is to use it for fermenting and beer storage when available. This has probably been done to death, but when the fridge is running at 4 degrees the freezer is still below zero - there is no way to adjust the fridge/freezer independently and i can't drill holes between them.

The fridge section runs of cold air from the freezer, the opening isn't that large so if the freezer isn't really cold your fridge section will not reach the temp that you want to achieve.

so how about this - would wedging the freezer door open just enough to warm it to about 4 degrees (this would take some experimenting) be an option?? I dont think that this would stress the compressor or other bits of the fridge because as far as i am aware it will be working irrespective until the fridgemate turns it off based on the fridge temp...To that end it also shouldnt use any more power (etc).

If you leave the freezer door adjar I predict that the evaporator will ice up. It is located behind the rear panel in the freezer.

can any of you experienced brewers let me know if this seems viable or am i just being stupid? I would only use the freezer part for beer storage as i wouldnt trust that i could maintain a relatively even temp for fermenting.

The freezer section is a write off for a controlled temp space, the only thing you can do is open the vent between the fridge and freezer wide open and control the fridge temp. Use the freezer for hop, grain storage and the like.

Lefty

Hi and welcome to AHB!

I would say that wedging the door open won't work. As the freezer is on the bottom the unit already blows air up from the freezer into the fridge. If the door was open and the freezer raised by 5 degrees I would assume the fridge would rise by the same or more. I believe it is only the freezer which is cooled and the fridge runs off it. So the only option I see is as Russ recmends. You can always use your second fridgemate to control the fan in the pipes. This way you could still run two different temps.

Dave

I'm hoping to get an upside down job from an AHB guy on the northside, when we can arrange a day for delivery, but I won't be using it for primary fermenting. I'll be using the fridge part for cold conditioning beer in cubes and for chilling bottles of drinkables. The freezer section I will use for hops and, just as importantly, to produce a supply of frozen 2L PET bottles to put in my dead fridge where primary fermentation happens. I've been using this system for a year and can keep ales at 18 degrees any weather and get down to lager fermentation temperatures no problems, even in Feb and March in Queensland.

I've no intention of ever getting a temp mate. Also if you were to prop the freezer door open a crack I would imagine that the fridge would labour and labour, and I hate to think of your electricity bill.

If you leave the freezer door adjar I predict that the evaporator will ice up. It is located behind the rear panel in the freezer.

The freezer section is a write off for a controlled temp space, the only thing you can do is open the vent between the fridge and freezer wide open and control the fridge temp. Use the freezer for hop, grain storage and the like.

Lefty
This is exactly what happened to my beer fridge recently. I had to defrost it for a few days but it back working again. Thanks to Lefty who gave me the advice on this :)

I use the freezer for storages of hops etc.

Cheers to all you guys for the helpful responses. :icon_cheers:

Bud: i also think condensation could be a problem - also the temp in the room where it is will skyrocket in summer...

Russ: your option does sound like it would sort the problem - i am not too keen on modifying the fridge - i was looking for a real lazy solution!

Its a weird freezer setup - it also has what appear to be cooling pipes internally that actually make up a large part of the shelving - i only discovered this when i dismantled it all thinking that i could maximise my space for a fermenter...wrong!

Lefty, Dave & BC: good points - and i think that this sums up why it wont work! The backup plan was hop storage + make the missus happy with some extra freezer space to compensate for all the new brewing gear i have smuggled into the home...I have also been putting some empty bottles in there to keep them outta the way.

BribieG: i also dont want to chance a huge elec bill.

So, thanks for the advice - i pretty much thought that it was a bad idea, but always good to seek others opinions!

Dan

Latest posts

Back