ferment with no airlock for a few days

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongey

Reaction score
So I am making a batch of coopers rad abbot recipe which I have made before .basically a chimay blue style beer .It has an OG of 1072 so its got a whack of fermentables

Its a 23l batch in my 25l fermenter and its going ballistic. the karusen isn't coming through the airlock but I can't keep any liquid in the airlock. I fill it and 10 mins later its all been blown out .its blowing C02 like a damn steam train

I have it in my brew fridge., wondering if its better to just take airlock out for a few days till it settles down than fill it 5 times a day .today is day 3 so it cant be too far away chillin out

You can leave the lid on loosely, or put gladwrap on top and secure with one of the postage red rubber bands.

The new(er) coopers fermenters don't secure at all, they're just a lid sitting loosely on the barrel.

Probably shouldn't take out the airlock though, in case something gets in the hole

the big guys will just have pipe into a can/vessel of water or something coming off the blowoff.
can you get a clamp around the airlock port and a blowoff fitting?
what are you putting in the lock? i find alcohol best for active fermys.

but you could just leave the airlock empty and cover it with foil, bacteria will not crawl in and around the lock and into your brew, but something else might.
so what you are suggesting is a good idea, just secure the lock losely with foil or something.

the big guys will just have pipe into a can/vessel of water or something coming off the blowoff.
can you get a clamp around the airlock port and a blowoff fitting?
what are you putting in the lock? i find alcohol best for active fermys.

but you could just leave the airlock empty and cover it with foil, bacteria will not crawl in and around the lock and into your brew, but something else might.
so what you are suggesting is a good idea, just secure the lock losely with foil or something.

I usually put no rinse sanitiser into it .T hat way at least its sanitised if it makes a mess

I'm hoping when I get home from work tonight it has chilled out , if not I'll try the foil or gladwrap

that's pretty standard, I spike it with iso-propyl alcky (you know to clean lcd screen etc) to stop the foaming and the solution tends to last in the lock a bit longer, can still run dry though.
i use one of the two piece airlocks with a rubber bung. if that helps.

thanks all for the tips.

last night it had settled right own to normal bubble ,so not needed this time.

but will keep it all in mind for next time I create a co2 bomb

I mainly use clingwrap but there's some situations where it just doesn't cut it. Here's some pictures from various people's fermenters when we did our club barleywine last year. Lots of fermentables, oxygenated and four packs of new world strong per fermenter. Lid with a blowoff tube was definitely the way to go.

full

full

full
full

Yep, the Mangrove Jacks one. This was a pretty high gravity beer so we used one cube, split across a couple of different yeasts to see what got the best outcome. Much cleaner ferment from the NWSA so we then fermented a cube each using it.

Also, I used a SS fitting that I had and drilled a bigger hole in the fermenter lid, zip tied the tube on. But if you buy the right size tubing it will just jam in the same grommet that you would normally stick your airlock in, much simpler and what I now do when using a blow off tube.

Also, I used a SS fitting that I had and drilled a bigger hole in the fermenter lid, zip tied the tube on. But if you buy the right size tubing it will just jam in the same grommet that you would normally stick your airlock in, much simpler and what I now do when using a blow off tube.

Or a larger dia hose over the airlock itself.
Most hardware shops sell Boston PVC Pressure Hose in various sizes. It's food-grade & pretty cheap.

Yep, the Mangrove Jacks one. This was a pretty high gravity beer so we used one cube, split across a couple of different yeasts to see what got the best outcome. Much cleaner ferment from the NWSA so we then fermented a cube each using it.

I've only been using it for "standard" IPA - as it does the trick nicely for non-massive grav beers. But noticed it does get up a bit, so can imagine why the BW went off like that.

I'm really rating the MJ yeasts, they are good for dried yeasts and lots of variation. And reliable.

I mainly use clingwrap but there's some situations where it just doesn't cut it. Here's some pictures from various people's fermenters when we did our club barleywine last year. Lots of fermentables, oxygenated and four packs of new world strong per fermenter. Lid with a blowoff tube was definitely the way to go.

Quick call the cops!
Someone's broken into your fermy chamber and thrown up everywhere, and in some cases in the vessel and put the wrap back over!
Criminals are stooping lower and lower these days.

Or a larger dia hose over the airlock itself.
Most hardware shops sell Boston PVC Pressure Hose in various sizes. It's food-grade & pretty cheap.
I've got a similar jig, minus most of the air lock.

I cut the bottom inch or so off one of my old air locks (so it's just the 60° bend part) and popped a length of 9mm silicone tube over the end. This has worked best for me as I couldn't get a blow-off tube to seal well when placed through the air lock grommet.

full

full

full
full

You guys need to invest in 60L fermenters.
If I have an inkling that the yeast might want to crawl out and say hi, I will put a single batch into the 60L and let it do its thing.

Why four yeast packs? The MJ NW Strong site recommends one pack in a batch?

Latest posts

Back