Fergis 1st All Grain Happening Now

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This will undoubtedly be the longest 2 weeks of your life. I used to filter mine so I can't comment on the clarity but maybe still some yeast in suspension if you moved the keg around a bit. Perfectly normal to have a little yeast slurry in the secondary fermenter. If you are storing the kegs @ 2deg, I would set your reg @ 69kpa, this will give you 2.5vol/co2 for a full 7 days. After 7 days, reduce to serving pressure & pour a glass. You may get a cloudy beer for your first one but from then on you should have nice bright beers. Pour another & have a really close look & decide if carbonation is to your liking & if it is, leave it @ serving pressure for your second week if you trust you have no system leaks. I always left my gas on, others may turn theirs off. Keep in mind when you are drinking that second beer that it is still fairly green & it will be different from the beer you will pour @ week 2.
Let us know how you go mate,
cheers

This will undoubtedly be the longest 2 weeks of your life. I used to filter mine so I can't comment on the clarity but maybe still some yeast in suspension if you moved the keg around a bit. Perfectly normal to have a little yeast slurry in the secondary fermenter. If you are storing the kegs @ 2deg, I would set your reg @ 69kpa, this will give you 2.5vol/co2 for a full 7 days. After 7 days, reduce to serving pressure & pour a glass. You may get a cloudy beer for your first one but from then on you should have nice bright beers. Pour another & have a really close look & decide if carbonation is to your liking & if it is, leave it @ serving pressure for your second week if you trust you have no system leaks. I always left my gas on, others may turn theirs off. Keep in mind when you are drinking that second beer that it is still fairly green & it will be different from the beer you will pour @ week 2.
cheers

yey hi crusty, i went outside to the shed 5 mins ago and i can still hear the beer calling my name,bugger you are right 2 weeks is a long way off,
maybe i will just have a small drop, no just kidding, i will go and have a K&K beer, i really want to wait the 2 weeks because i genuinely want to give an honest unbiased opinion of AG v my K&K,

fergi

This will undoubtedly be the longest 2 weeks of your life.
I used to filter mine so I can't comment on the clarity
but maybe still some yeast in suspension if you moved the keg around a bit. Perfectly normal to have a little yeast slurry in the secondary fermenter. If you are storing the kegs @ 2deg, I would set your reg @ 69kpa, this will give you 2.5vol/co2 for a full 7 days. After 7 days, reduce to serving pressure & pour a glass. You may get a cloudy beer for your first one but from then on you should have nice bright beers. Pour another & have a really close look & decide if carbonation is to your liking & if it is, leave it @ serving pressure for your second week if you trust you have no system leaks. I always left my gas on, others may turn theirs off. Keep in mind when you are drinking that second beer that it is still fairly green & it will be different from the beer you will pour @ week 2.
cheers

do you still filter your ag crusty, what system do you use.
fergi

what's this waiting shit ? You have kegs and it's your first, either do a ross method or pump the gas upto 350 kpa for 24 hrs, then drink tomorrow night :)

The stuff in secondary will be the yeast dropping form the crash chill, you haven't filtered so it will be a bit hazy for a few days then should clear up.

well done, brew and ferment again as kegs seem to "leak" :)

what's this waiting shit ? You have kegs and it's your first, either do a ross method or pump the gas upto 350 kpa for 24 hrs, then drink tomorrow night :)

The stuff in secondary will be the yeast dropping form the crash chill, you haven't filtered so it will be a bit hazy for a few days then should clear up.

well done, brew and ferment again as kegs seem to "leak" :)

DONT PROMPT ME TO TRY IT YET "i am weak"

As soon as the beer is kegged and gassed, 30 minutes or so, you can drink it. :icon_cheers:
Will it be better in two weeks? Maybe, but how will you know if you don't know what it tastes like now?
Get into it!
Cheers
Nige

Don't listen to anyone recommending that you force carb @ higher kpa for less time ( no offence fellas )
You run the risk of overcarbing it mate & if you do that, as I have, it's a ******* to fix & you"ll be really pissed off with yourself & you'll swear you won't do it again.
There is a marked difference in the beer from week 1 & week 2, try it for yourself, you will notice the difference. Drinking it within 24hrs just doesn't cut it for me, & just because it's gassed up, it certainly doesn't mean it's ready to drink. WAIT, WAIT, WAIT. You will be tasting it after the first week so that's not far away & after week 2, you'll be pattin yourself on the back & reminding yourself that you made it.
Give Ross @ Craftbrewer a call & get one of his filtering setups. They are good for clearing the beer that's for sure but I feel the absolute 1 micron filter may be the suspect for stripping out a bit of hop aroma & a little head retention, just something I have noticed against not filtering.

Filter

Don't listen to anyone recommending that you force carb @ higher kpa for less time ( no offence fellas )
You run the risk of overcarbing it mate & if you do that, as I have, it's a ******* to fix & you"ll be really pissed off with yourself & you'll swear you won't do it again.
Agreed, but no harm in the Butters slipper method.
Connect gas to keg at serving pressure, lay on floorwith gas post down, roll back and forth with foot. Will take about 15-20 minutes of this. Remember keg is cold hence the recommendation you wear slippers :icon_cheers:
As the gas is at serving pressure there is no chance of overcarbing.

Nige

Edit.- Added time.

Agreed, but no harm in the Butters slipper method.
Connect gas to keg at serving pressure, lay on floorwith gas post down, roll back and forth with foot. Will take about 15-20 minutes of this. Remember keg is cold hence the recommendation you wear slippers :icon_cheers:
As the gas is at serving pressure there is no chance of overcarbing.

Nige

Edit.- Added time.

Definitely the safer method for avoiding over carbonating but it's not ready at this stage.
The reason I never force carb @ higher kpa is the beer @ this age has not had any time to mellow / condition. Week 2 was definitely the target for my beers.
It's kinda comparable to drinking bottle conditioned beers @ week 4 against week 8. Mediocre @ week 4, superb @ week 8.
STAY AWAY FROM THE SHED FERGI.

bugger, its only been 3 days now, something must be wrong ,surely its been 2 weeks by now,???maybe my batteries are going flat so i am running slower

fergi

Just go and have a pint fergi. If it is good, well keep drinking. Then you can do some more batchs and get your stocks up. I wouldn't have a hope in hell waiting if i was in your position.

drink as much of your k&k as you can before you start on the all grain keg
i hooked into my first all grain keg and after 8 months i am still trying to get through my k&b bottle stash
i thought it tasted great untill i tried all grain and now my brewing spirled out of control.

I'm sorry, but waiting 2 weeks before drinking a Golden Ale is just silly.
Beers like the Golden ales are meant to be drunk fresh & if it was my first AG the keg would probably be nearly dry by now.
If the beers unfiltered, then a few days to help clarify is probably a good thing, but after that get into it.

If your standard ales don't taste right for weeks/months, then take a look at your recipe formulation or brewing practises.

Cheers Ross

I am with rossco you brewed your beer before me and I am loving mine get into it mate.

sav

ok i cant wait much longer,wednesday nite i am going to give it the taste test ,this will be one week which will have given it time to clear a bit and also carb up in keg,so wednesday nite after work i am cooking my BBQ and i am going to pour my first AG.i will let you all know what i think of ag compared to my kits,i will be really honest and unbiased in my assesment.

fergi

I haven't read all of this thread but here's my thoughts Fergis.

The recipe states 2 weeks in primary and 2 weeks cold conditioning.

If that's what you have done then 30 mins after you keg it start drinking it.

To be honest, 1 week conditioning is probably sufficient.

Get stuck in! :chug:

I haven't read all of this thread but here's my thoughts Fergis.

The recipe states 2 weeks in primary and 2 weeks cold conditioning.

If that's what you have done then 30 mins after you keg it start drinking it.

To be honest, 1 week conditioning is probably sufficient.

Get stuck in! :chug:
I am new to AHB only joining last night (wish I had long before now) and have enjoyed reading the progress and advise you have received along the way, it will help me as I move from K&K and partial's to more AG brewing.

You and I are a lot a like when it comes to the urge to sample the latest creation. With my first AG using some primitave equipment and limited knowledge I was like a kid in a candy shop and just had to try it early my first impression was I had stuffed it up, I had used amarilo hops for the first time it seemed thats all I could taste. I left it for a few more weeks and knocked off all the K&K kegs I had then started on the AG. Well what a difference that made the hop flovours had mellowed and my mates are still talking about it.

Cant wait to hear more.

I'm sorry, but waiting 2 weeks before drinking a Golden Ale is just silly.
Beers like the Golden ales are meant to be drunk fresh & if it was my first AG the keg would probably be nearly dry by now.
If the beers unfiltered, then a few days to help clarify is probably a good thing, but after that get into it.

If your standard ales don't taste right for weeks/months, then take a look at your recipe formulation or brewing practises.

Cheers Ross

Amen !!

Drink it now !!

ok thats it then i cant wait until tomorrow i am going out to the shed hook one of my taps up to my first AG ,smurtos golden ale, back in 10 minutes, cant wait.
fergi

Latest posts

Back