Fergis 1st All Grain Happening Now

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
hi guys, just started my 1st all grain, smurtos golden ale, i have just started my mash and hit my 66 deg smack on= 66.2. thought that might be my first problem for the day but i am happy to start with that. doing a 60 minute mash., back later
fergi

Go you good thing!
:icon_chickcheers:

hi guys, just started my 1st all grain, smurtos golden ale, i have just started my mash and hit my 66 deg smack on= 66.2. thought that might be my first problem for the day but i am happy to start with that. doing a 60 minute mash., back later
fergi

Off to a great start fergi, keep it going. :kooi:

I love it when a plan comes together!

just don't leave your fermenter tap on when you transfer all your good work from your kettle.... :icon_cheers:

keep us posted on your progress mate.

Nath

4 minutes to go for end of mash, hope my pvc manifold works, this is the next hurdle,hope it doesnt get stuck, temp still looks good, 66 deg.
fergi

draining mash into boiler now, first runnings, looks good, nice light gold color, no crap in it except for 1st litre which i put back through,
fergi

draining mash into boiler now, first runnings, looks good, nice light gold color, no crap in it except for 1st litre which i put back through,
fergi

I find if I don't open my esky lid during run offs, I get good run offs,

If I open the lid, I get stuck sparges... :eek:

1st runnings still draining, how long will it take to run through, smells good.
fergi

fergi

I take it you will be doing a batch sparge?
Split the sparge volume & heat both additions to required sparge temp, double batch sparge. My efficiency sky rocketed from 76 to 84.2% doing this.
Going great fergi.

Split the sparge volume & heat both additions to required sparge temp, double batch sparge. My efficiency sky rocketed from 76 to 84.2% doing this.
Going great fergi.

yes i am doing a double batch sparge,looks ogo so far.
fergi

Fergi, what your experiencing today is what happens when people make informed decisions based on some good questions and obviously thorough research.

It really is awesome watching your threads come through showing us all that you clearly understand what it is your doing and what you want to achieve..

top notch fella!

That beer your making will be the best you've ever made - guaranteed.
The hardest part is behind you (process wise). Sure you still have to ferment it, but you have to do that regardless of "how you brew".

Bring her to the boil man, add the hops, chill it if you want/can, done and dusted!

Cheers,
Nath

BTW, it usually takes me 40/50mins to collect my runnings for a 26lt preboil volume. I tend to go slowly as i've been stung with a couple of stuck sparges when i first started AG'ing. Haven't had one since by taking my time.

OOPS,,, i am not sure if i just stuffed up, i am draining my mash tun into my kettle but i am just letting it run through the tap and splashing into the kettle, is this bad or should i be having a tube on the tap so it doesnt splash.
fergi

That's ok, just don't let it splash around after its fermented

Going great fergi.
Hey Crusty probably a dumb question,but do you mean heating your first runnings from the mash tun to sparge temp and putting them back through the mash?,im after anything that will help with my efficiency!
cheers humulus

PROBLEM,, pvc manifold in mash tunhas come apart, so my mash will run through the open pipes, i am going to put a fine hessian bag over the tap to see if that will stop the crap and fix the problem, BUGGER.
fergi

That's ok, just don't let it splash around after its fermented

I disagree.

Fergi - splashing hot wort can lead to hot side aeration. Splashing fermenting wort while the yeast is in anerobic phase can also lead to oxidation and is best avoided. The only time wort should be splashed is during the early part of the yeast's growth cycle.

Some people don't see this (HSA) as a problem on a homebrew scale and it may not matter if you don't plan to store the beer. Your beer won't automatically die so don't panic but next time I'd recommend using a tube - it's easy to do and gives peace of mind.

Congrats on your first.

Hey Crusty probably a dumb question,but do you mean heating your first runnings from the mash tun to sparge temp and putting them back through the mash?,im after anything that will help with my efficiency!
cheers humulus

Hi Hum,

I mean after you collect your first runnings & your mashtun is fully drained, instead of for example, sparging with 14lts water, break that into two x 7 litre sparges. Heat up your first 7 litres to desired sparge temp, add to mashtun, stir for a bit, let it settle for about 5mins or so, collect & return to mashtun & when clear let it go to kettle. Repeat this for the second batch sparge. I started doing this after omitting a mashout in my brew steps & my efficiency is always 80%+.

fergi,
Regarding your splashing into the kettle, manticle has a good point. HSA is often hotly debated & probably not so important on a home brew scale. Just get into the practice of never letting your wort splash at any stage throughout the brewing process until it is chilled to fermenting temperature. This is the time to add oxygen to the wort to kick start your yeast addition. I gravity feed from my kettle to my fermenter so it foams up quite a bit, that seems to add enough oxygen to the wort for me.

I disagree.

Fergi - splashing hot wort can lead to hot side aeration. Splashing fermenting wort while the yeast is in anerobic phase can also lead to oxidation and is best avoided. The only time wort should be splashed is during the early part of the yeast's growth cycle.

Some people don't see this (HSA) as a problem on a homebrew scale and it may not matter if you don't plan to store the beer. Your beer won't automatically die so don't panic but next time I'd recommend using a tube - it's easy to do and gives peace of mind.

Congrats on your first.

thanks manticle, i am going to keg it, probably will last a month , i have four kegs with different brews so wont thrash this one . just waiting for wort to come to boil for 1st addition.
fergi

Back