Fed Square Micro Brew Showcase

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bum - The True South Kolsch was fine. (infact none of their range showcased any undesireables) Somewhat dusty from the yeast in suspension but this also helped boost the fruity vinuous complexity you get from a kolsh style beer. I spoke with sam about it and she thinks it tastes better this way. I'll take her word for it.
Not sure why I've been singled out here as I know I'm not the only one who tipped it/didn't like it. Dunno why anyone would take any brewers word on the quality of their own beer either.
As for Tooborac, the amber ale was overcarbed, both where served way too cold (infact that was an issue for almost every stall.) Let the amber warm up and you have got a really tasty english bitter on your hands. The pale ale was ok but unbalanced and needed more hops. Apparantly there was cascade in it, 1st time ive never found cascade. That was my only gripe with it.
Yeah, all of the beers there were a touch cold but as I see it that could only have helped Tooborac's pale when I tried it. I would love to have tasted less. Is there anyone here who tried it on the wednesday? I refuse to live in a world where the beer I drank is considered passable. I'm sure there are beers I liked there that others do not. I am equally sure (even moreso, in fact) there are great beers there I didn't or wouldn't have enjoyed. I am honestly having a hard time accepting that the beer I had falls into the later category. This isn't the same thing as the True South Summer Ale - my problem with that is that is an insipid lawnmower beer dressed up as something else not that I think it was a worthless beer - it is just not worth much to me.

:huh: Well ive had the Roadside IPA, it's worth having. A really great beer. Do you even know what beer it was? what style?

It's an American style IPA inspired by a recent trip to the US.
So I state a personal opinion and you question whether I know what beer it was and what style? Interesting. Keep in mind you don't need to be a prolific active member on AHB to know about beer.

To answer your question Revox, I had it at The Local Taphouse Spectapular in St Kilda in a taster paddle as I think my 3rd or 4th taster.
I assume you guys had it either there as well or Beer Deluxe? Maybe Mrs Parmas?
I never said it was bad or terrible. In my personal opinion it was just nothing to get excited about. I didn't bother taking notes on it as I didn't want to order a regular size one and won't take notes on a taster.
But I recall diacetyl in both the aroma and taste which is inappropiate and thought both hop aroma and flavour was quite dull/low for an American inspired IPA.
Still find it interesting to get "accused" of not knowing what beer style it was in a thread full of differing opinions.

So I state a personal opinion and you question whether I know what beer it was and what style? Interesting. Keep in mind you don't need to be a prolific active member on AHB to know about beer.

To answer your question Revox, I had it at The Local Taphouse Spectapular in St Kilda in a taster paddle as I think my 3rd or 4th taster.
I never said it was bad or terrible. In my personal opinion it was just nothing to get excited about. I didn't bother taking notes on it as I didn't want to order a regular size one and won't take notes on a taster.
But I recall diacetyl in both the aroma and taste which is inappropiate and thought both hop aroma and flavour was quite dull/low for an American inspired IPA.
Still find it interesting to get "accused" of not knowing what beer style it was in a thread full of differing opinions.

I had it at the taphouse and thought it was pretty good, a lot better hop presence than the hoppinator. However I had it 2 weeks later at the holgate brewery and found the hop presence a lot more muted than earlier.

Didn't get any diacetyl either time, interestingly, it stank like pot flowers.

Q

It tasted like a glass of yeast and i don't think it's as it's intended to be. Most of their other beers are lovely.

The special beer Holgate was doing was called 'Ladyboy'. Or 'A Temptress with Nuts'. Just half half nut brown and their choc porter. Yum!

Not sure why I've been singled out here as I know I'm not the only one who tipped it/didn't like it. Dunno why anyone would take any brewers word on the quality of their own beer either.

Yep tip me in for not enjoying the True South Summer Ale. And two others - one that is doing the BJCP course and another that completed it.

All three of us confirm butterscotch. One of the guys had just done a session last week where they had the 'flaw kit' from the US where they go through sampling each infection flaw. So this was more than a hunch. He'd tasted the flaw on the official flaw kit and knew exactly what he was tasting. We might have got a dud keg on Wednesday, but from the keg we had - we definately sampled a beer with an issue. I might have been mistaken - but the two guys I was with weren't.

Did anyone else try the Prickly Moses summer ale? I tried it late in the night and tipped it. Just wondering if my untrained fatigued pallete was lying to me about it tasting pretty average.
On another note. I really enjoyed the Arctic Fox APA, it had more going for it than a lot of the other APA's served up, and good on them for winning the award for peoples choice best lager.

Did anyone else try the Prickly Moses summer ale? I tried it late in the night and tipped it. Just wondering if my untrained fatigued pallete was lying to me about it tasting pretty average.
On another note. I really enjoyed the Arctic Fox APA, it had more going for it than a lot of the other APA's served up, and good on them for winning the award for peoples choice best lager.

How does an APA win a lager award? My thoughts of the APA was a huge hop smash that masked everything.

The marketting description/tasting notes of their APA put me off a bit - hops, hops hops x 100 and more hops or whatever. It needs more to make good beer than just throwing bucketloads of a single ingredient at it. The terrible English pale ale made me not want to waste a ticket on it.

If it was, don't worry, your not missing much.

I wasnt accusing you of anything Jodie Foster. I was just asking if you knew the name of the beer being served at the showcase that was 'secret'. Hence the "do you even know what beer it was? what style?". For all i know, they could have served you something from a childs sipper cup. From your response it sounded like you where guessing it was the roadside IPA, just wanted to confirm it was the same beer we had both experienced outside the showcase. No need to get your panties in a bunch.

Oh Bum - I was under the assumption you didnt like it due to infection. Sorry. Btw, i wasnt taking Sams word as gospel that a kolsch "should taste like that" moreso, she believes her beer tastes better served 'mit hefe' rather than diamond bright.

Screw this... im off to purvis! :icon_cheers:

Yep tip me in for not enjoying the True South Summer Ale. And two others - one that is doing the BJCP course and another that completed it.

All three of us confirm butterscotch. One of the guys had just done a session last week where they had the 'flaw kit' from the US where they go through sampling each infection flaw. So this was more than a hunch. He'd tasted the flaw on the official flaw kit and knew exactly what he was tasting. We might have got a dud keg on Wednesday, but from the keg we had - we definately sampled a beer with an issue. I might have been mistaken - but the two guys I was with weren't.

It might have been from another batch. Who knows. Oh, they didnt try the butterscotch from a flaw kit, it was actually a grand ridge beer! :ph34r: haha. Im in the same BJCP course. BTW, i know what diacetyl tastes like too, i didnt detect it in the true south (although people do detect it on different levels). I just finished a keg of my own that had some diacetyl, Still tasted good though, atleast if you like sweet butter. :icon_cheers:

This thread is on a road to nowhere. Biased opinions, associated opinions, different strokes different folk, get the drift! Great, have an opinion on the tasting buts lets not get excited about having an opinion on the taster`s opinion. Good on em for posting it up in the first place.

It might have been from another batch. Who knows. Oh, they didnt try the butterscotch from a flaw kit, it was actually a grand ridge beer! :ph34r: haha. Im in the same BJCP course. BTW, i know what diacetyl tastes like too, i didnt detect it in the true south (although people do detect it on different levels). I just finished a keg of my own that had some diacetyl, Still tasted good though, atleast if you like sweet butter. :icon_cheers:

Ah...the diacetyl gold. That was why my mate said it tasted familiar! Classic!

Bagging aside, I enjoy the event immensely every time it comes up and will no doubt be at the next. Would be great if they did a different version at Fed Square - like threw in some kiwi micros too or something. I'd be all over that for sure! Mmmm...emersons...epic... :icon_drool2: Oh well, I guess there's the Purvis tastings for that. Will get my fix there...

Hopper.

How does an APA win a lager award? My thoughts of the APA was a huge hop smash that masked everything.

The APA was one of the 3 beers they had there, they seemd to be focusing on mostly that and the APA since those were the two on tap (their English in bottles). Have tried it before, and from talking to the brewers they've actually changed the recipe a fair bit since the original variants, I found it quite drinkable but I'm not big on lagers in general so I'll leave the verdict to others.

The marketting description/tasting notes of their APA put me off a bit - hops, hops hops x 100 and more hops or whatever. It needs more to make good beer than just throwing bucketloads of a single ingredient at it. The terrible English pale ale made me not want to waste a ticket on it.

On the marketing side I love the fact that they backed this up by having the hop bines behind them, might actually educate a couple of people on what goes into their beers.

And seconded for a kiwi variant.

NZ sounds prohibitively expensive for the breweries to me but surely national is doable?

I know this is essentially a Victorian regional development event but no reason they can't get other states on board. Maybe an extra event each year with no Vic breweries?

This thread is on a road to nowhere. Biased opinions, associated opinions, different strokes different folk, get the drift! Great, have an opinion on the tasting buts lets not get excited about having an opinion on the taster`s opinion. Good on em for posting it up in the first place.

+1
Ah...the diacetyl gold. That was why my mate said it tasted familiar! Classic!

I guess there's the Purvis tastings for that. Will get my fix there...

OOH! Hell yeah! Glad you reminded me! :icon_drunk:

NZ sounds prohibitively expensive for the breweries to me but surely national is doable?

I know this is essentially a Victorian regional development event but no reason they can't get other states on board. Maybe an extra event each year with no Vic breweries?

At the Purvis event they get a good spread of Kiwi Micros, but unfortunately it's mainly reps doing the talking about brews, not any brewers. Would be great to see an event with some actual Kiwi Brewers taking us through their bevvies.

I do second the idea that getting the showcase to have some interstate breweries would be awesome too. I enjoy some of the QLD Burleigh Beers, (enjoyed the Hefeweizen & My Wifes Bitter recently). And we don't get to see much of what WA & SA (other than the winery owned brewers) are doing and the NSW micro list is steadily growing but only a few are trickling down to Vic. There's also some interesting stuff in Tassie right now with Hazards in the east, Willie Simpson's new brewery in the west and the one where the guy has his own grain harvested for the brews - Two Meter Tall I think it is.

But yeah, I think this event is something to do with State Gov/Tourism Vic so maybe this isn't the spot for it - just reckon if you could get a more national spread and even some NZ stuff in a bigger space than the Purvis squeeze-box it would really be something.

I think one thing the Micro Showcase organisers are doing right is they are now are limiting numbers and it's become more civilised. The early timeslot also keeps away the all-out booze hounds and makes it more a tasting event instead of a swillfest before hitting the clubs. The Purvis event/s have been getting pretty crowded of late. Not that I'm complaining too much - the beers are always good. But sometimes you could do with some extra wiggle room over at that one.

Hopper.

Hey Brenos, I read FourStar's post as asking if you knew what beer or style the mystery Holgate beer was, not if you knew what style, etc. the RoadTrip is. He stringed it off the back of his saying he liked the RoadTrip then used the word, "even".. I can absolutely see how easily it can be misinterpreted.

Yeah cool, I ask because I had friends down at the Hop Spectapular who tried it and liked it, but found it hard to give the beer a detailed look in the myriad of highly hopped beers. So the reviews were akin to good, "Nicely hoppy without being aggressive, not too sweet or crystal malty, well-balanced, clean. Definitely more balanced and approachable than extreme."

I had it on draught at the bar. Was told it was from the very first RoadTrip batch approx. 7 weeks old. Hops were bright, balanced well, great bittering hit right up front (taking a stab at 55+ IBU?) that sort of settles down after the 4th or 5th sip (palate adjusts). Clean malt finish (with the signature Holgate stamp in bill) but very much subdued to really let the hops shine.

Interesting thing on the Emerald Hill ReVox. In addition to no jacketing, word on the street was that these guys 'custom built' a fair bit of their own gear - a fundamental flaw being that their 400L tanks were flat bottomed, not conical. A bit of a boo-boo.

People I spoke to who used to go to their brewery when it opened on Fri nights said they would take a 19L cornie keg or two at the most of beer out at a time from the tank - which was fine when the beer was fresh, but they were draining such small amounts with no way to properly remove the yeast from the flat tank bottom due to the incorrect design :blink: And the low turnover of beer meant the stuff would sit there for some time - on the yeast. :icon_vomit:

In otherwords - Emerald Hill beers became renowned for Autolysis on quite a few occasions. Fine if you got the fresh beer before it set in, but bad news if you got the two month old stuff.
Jeeze, the amount of stories I've heard about EH and process is astounding. The 400L flat bottomed tanks is another to the list! I'd been in there a couple of times but to be honest with you, never noticed their primarys were flat-bottomed! I was told they picked up most of their gear from the dairy industry, and the kettle in particular was custom built.

Just found this on their still operational website:
Have_you_hugged_your_fermenter_today.JPG

Yeah, no way you're going to effectively drop yeast with that slope.. EH's bottom looks akin to an inverted glass carboy (where similarly the fermentap folks thought the pitch was sufficient to drop- it isn't, and fermentap is no longer avail afaik).

Sad to see breweries like EH disappear from the landscape (they're closed now, gear sold off) - but I guess when you're setting up a brewery it's important to get the design right if you want to make the good stuff.

Hopper.

It is a shame EH is no longer doing business. Profit margins are so ridiculously tight with excise (and general cost of doing business as a small producer in Australia) that an oversight like flat bottom primary tanks, no jacketing, etc. are hard to rectify on no-string. Clearly, if they had the dough and personal resilience they could have just purchased 3 new (or used) jacketed primes designed for the brewing industry, and wore the first wave of negative feedback with their beers (with the direction that hey, we've acknowledged it and we're doing something about it). But hell, they didn't even mill their own grains down there.. first purchase might very well have been a motorised grain mill :blink:

Cheers
reVox

You'd think 22 Victorian microbreweries would be enough to keep everyone entertained! The AIBA Expo is there every year now to showcase beers from interstate, across the Tasman, and internationally.

I didn't get around to everyone, but top beers for me this time were the Arctic Fox APA (sorry ReVox - guess I don't have the salt sensitivity!), Sweetwater Weizen, Cold Stream Elderflower Ale, and True South Red Truck. Wish there were more Vic Micros there - Kooinda, Red Hill, and Jamiesons notably absent - and fewer faux micros and contracts. Too bad about the LLV (f*cking wankers) cracking down this time and keeping Hargreaves and Bridge Road from participating. The guys at Arctic Fox said they were given a written warning for not serving into 60ml plastic containers as stipulated in the license!

Ah, is that why Hargreaves weren't there? I was looking forward to trying one of theirs (after having a bottle of their serviceable (if slightly underdone) pale ale). What is the story there?

Bridge Road were on board on Wednesday (pretty sure some have reported back on them from thursday too). Were they shut down or something?

I wasn't aware of the AIBA event - I'll retract that suggestion if it is basically the same deal.

Latest posts

Back