Fed Square Micro Brew Showcase

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I`ll be there Thursday. :chug:

Nice guys! I start this thread and none of ya's are going to join me tomorrow night :p

Don't think you'll get a report back either :p
Just got home, and lucky you said hi since I'd have no idea who anyone one else was. :)

Highlights for me:
Bridge Road Brewers - Biere de Garde
True South - Summer Ale (Kolsch) (and the friendly people at their stand)
Mildura Brewery - Storm Cloudy Ale
Matilda bay Garage - Big Helga
and Red Duck Brewery - 4 Ducks Strong Belgium (simply because it was so strong and out there).
Also Prickly Moses - Summer Ale (but maybe just because I got a new hat to go with it).

It was also an attempt introduce my son (who turned 18 earlier this month) to a few beers other than mega-swill, which was not overly successful (either too many hops (Arctic Fox, Holgate) or too much yeasty/esters (3 Ravens, Sweetwater, Coldstream) according to his uneducated-beer-tastebuds, but I did end up with 1/2 his tasting book to try a few more for myself. ;)

All-in-all it was an interesting enough experience and glad we went, just wish I had known the liquor license (for many of the vendors) expired at 8pm, because I was planning to make a last visit to a couple on the way out the door.

I just got home too. I'll save the beer reviews for tomorrow perhaps (ended up in Mrs Parma's afterwards too, not sure my reviews might be worth much right now).

Some observations for tomorrow's attendees:
Don't get there an hour and a half after your intended ETA and break the land speed record with your tickets.
Get there as early as you can. Not because of the lines or the above point. Was never more than two people back all night. More because once it gets to about seven the place is packed with people who will only stand in the middle of walkways (in groups) and talk about how "This pilsner really tastes like honey. No. I Like it!"
Grand Ridge do not have any Supershine for tasting at their stall but I was able to persuade him (Eric?) to open a single bottle at 7:55. Give it a crack if interested.
Don't take your missus if she doesn't drink beer (unless you have time to drink 2 lots of tasters).
Do not expect anyone to take any risks. I almost congratulated Holgate for putting out their Hopinator and Temptress. I think I saw one stout. One Saison. One supposed Kolsch. Pale ales (these were usually described as being English (you can taste crystal) or American (didn't taste the the 'English' offerings of other vendors)) and Pilsners as far as the eye can see .
If Tooborac's Pale Ale isn't infected it may as well be. Actually heard the brewer tell someone he didn't like it anymore.

Highlights

Arctic Fox American Pale Ale, seems to be different hops to the standard APA, quite tasty. Loved the hop bines that they had behind their stall and the glass filled with hop cones, a nice touch.

Toorabuc (sp) Amber. Didn't try their pale, but found this quite tasty.

Mountain goat Rapunzel: Seems pretty much true to style, reminds me somewhat of Duvel.

Holgate Hoppinator: Double IPA, quite smooth bitterness, nicer flavour than the mountain goat IPA

Matilda Bay Alpha Pale: Always been a fan, but supposedly the one on tap at the show was unfiltered, and it was definitely quite tasty

Ended up at Mrs Parmas afterwards where I gave the Flying Horse Dirty Angel a shot (drinkable, but not overly special) and a very tasty Moroccan Meatball parma. This one seems to be new(ish) on the menu and made for a damn good feed.

Ended up at Mrs Parmas afterwards where I gave the Flying Horse Dirty Angel a shot (drinkable, but not overly special) and a very tasty Moroccan Meatball parma. This one seems to be new(ish) on the menu and made for a damn good feed.

I found my way to Mrs Parma's after tea and I have to say that the Dirty Angel did not measure up to my previous experiences. Most likely something to do with drinking 20 different beers prior. I did mumble something about dirty lines to SWMBO though.

Yeah, the Moroccan Meatball one was nice (though not nearly Moroccan enough, really).

Here's a brief rundown of the beers I had at the showcase that I bashed out very late last night for another forum. In the harsh light of day I probably stand by most of it (but if I could be arsed I'd probably re-word it).

Arctic Fox American Pale Ale - smelled great, tasted...not as good as mine.
Bridge Road Celtic Red - way too sweet for me.
Bright Brewery Staircase Porter - Meh.
Coldstream Naked Ale - Serviceable pale ale that did nothing to distinguish itself from basically every other PA there.
Coldstream Porter - alright but wouldn't bother trying to replicate.
Grand Ridge Moonshine - Really nice actually. Was very surprised because I have had nothing but bad experiences with them (the brewery) in the bottle before.
Grand Ridge Hatlifter - Alright but seems like Moonshine's little brother. Pales in comparison.
Grand Ridge Supershine - Served at room temp (undercover but basically outdoors on a 30+ degree day). Hard to judge this way but did seem like it would be an impressive beer cooler. Nice aroma, colour and body. Flavour a tad harsh served hot but certainly good enough for me to try it again.
Hawthorn Brewing Premium Pale Ale - Not bad at all.
Holgate Mt Macedon Pale Ale - See Coldstream Naked Ale.
Holgate Temptress - Not bad.
Mountain Goat Steam Ale - Well, it least it isn't blonde or low carb. May as well be though.
Mountain Goat Rapunzel - Really didn't like this beer but I think it might be the style not agreeing with me rather than the beer being sub-par.
Red Duck Porter - Alright.
Sweetwater Pale Ale - See Coldstream Naked Ale.
Three Troupers Pale Ale - Nice enough.
True South Summer Ale - Tipped it.
Tooborac Stomemasons Pale Ale - Tipped it - possibly infected.

And...uh...2 more I can't remember...for some strange reason.

Was good having a yarn to Woofy.

Also found myself back at Mrs Parmas afterwards for a few more beers and some food.

Standouts for me:

True South Red Truck Lager - very drinkable, best of the bunch I tasted.
Hawthorn Premium Pale - Best Pale Ale I had, very impressed. Shame they didn't have their new Amber for tasting
Prickly Moses Organic Larger (sic) - a full flavoured lager
Arctic Fox APA - good example of an APA, and a much higher standard of beer than the other two offered by Arctic
Coldstream Naked Ale - interesting reading bum's comments, the person serving told me this was an English Bitter? I thought it was quite good.

Coldstream Naked Ale - interesting reading bum's comments, the person serving told me this was an English Bitter? I thought it was quite good.

I spoke to one of the guys about this one too (as the name didn't really give anything away). He did say something about English Bitter but then he went on a bit to say things (which the alcohol fairy seems to have taken from me - better go check under my pillow for some cash) that seemed to me to dilute that position somewhat. I do remember drinking it and thinking it was not much like any English Bitter I've had before and it did seem more PA-like to me. Didn't mean to deliberately miss-categorise it. Might have been a little harsh on it but it wasn't remarkable in any way for me. By no means a bad beer. The only bad beers were the ones that actually say something terribly negative. The selection on hand was generally very safe.

Do not expect anyone to take any risks. I almost congratulated Holgate for putting out their Hopinator and Temptress. I think I saw one stout. One Saison. One supposed Kolsch. Pale ales (these were usually described as being English (you can taste crystal) or American (didn't taste the the 'English' offerings of other vendors)) and Pilsners as far as the eye can see .

What do you mean by 'risks'? Non stereotypical styles? Usually there are a few stouts, (mussel stout last time) and i think 3 ravens had something oak aged too. Was there alot of yellow 'fairy' beer?

What do you mean by 'risks'? Non stereotypical styles? Usually there are a few stouts, (mussel stout last time) and i think 3 ravens had something oak aged too. Was there alot of yellow 'fairy' beer?

I dunno if I'd go so far as to say 'fairy'. I would definitely say there was a focus on 'sessionable'. Lots of pales and pilsners. A few ambers floating around. Holgate, 3 Ravens and Grand Ridge were basically the only ones to buck this trend. Points to Mountain Goat for bring Rapunzel, I don't blame them for me not liking it. Actually, Matilda Bay probably mixed it up a bit (and one of the few to bring in their full range) but I didn't go to their table - specifically wanted to try stuff I can't just get an Uncle Dan's.

Just goes to show we all have different tastebuds! :)

I reckon this showcase was not as good as the last one, and was surprised at the number of flawed beers being handed out. Particularly Pale/Summer Ales and Pilseners. Some minor issues, others very noticeable. Was quite strange. I guess lagers/lighter styles are hard to get right at the best of times, and maybe the best stuff was Fresh on the Tuesday before some heat got to the kegs at Fed Square.

The good:
- Sweetwater Brewery (Mt Beauty) - Great Porter and Weissebeer. The weissebeer was a cracker. Great example of the style and beautifully clean, great banana & clove. Porter good choc malt and roast barley balance.
- Alpha Pale Ale (Matilda Bay) - The highlight of the showcase. Spoke to the guys about it and they said that the tapped version they had was 'un-pasteurised', so everything in it was very fresh and it hadn't been heat treated, dulling off the hops. Tasted like huge american cascade heavily dry-hopped. A bit like a randalised beer - was awesome.
- Ranga (new red beer by bearings) - Very light and clean, orange colour and light american hop aroma. Very refreshing. Other brewers with me weren't blown away by it and found it thin - but considering I've drunk some shite from Bearings in the past when they were starting out this one impressed me.
- 3 ravens - always good beers, wanted to try their smoke beer but they'd run out early, their 55 apa was excellent. The Black is always a good one.

The surprises:
- Arctic Fox - Hated their lager on a previous occaision but their new APA brings them back in. I had written these guys off - looks like they can make beer. Yummy hops and well balanced beer.
- Prickly Moses - Last time they had terribly bland farmhouse beers, this time they redeemed themselves with an excellent stout and their organic beer is very unusual and just new. Had a weird honey/woody flavour which was unusual but different.
Some thought it was a flaw but it definately wasn't. They must be using an interesting adjunct or grain here. Gave them marks for pushing the envelope.

The bad/indifferent:
- True South Summer Ale - infected with butterscotch flavours. Feel terrible dissing the beer as admire the head brewer and what she has acheived. Their Red Truck Lager was excellent though, a great red beer - their Dark Ale very thin and had american hops - more like an american brown but a very soft version. These guys look promising, and the Red redeemed them, but reckon it will take time to iron out the issues in their new brewpub in Brighton and experiment a little with the beers. Another homebrewer described their selection as 'safe' but I guess their clientelle is in Brighton so that is to be expected. Reckon these guys will get better, so I will be trying their stuff again for sure.

- Buckleys - The guy is lovely and a great sales person, but every showcase I've been to the beers have had flaws (mainly sourness). I told a mate to steer clear on past experience, he ignored me and tried it and sure enough it was disappointing (think it was original ale). Spoken to other people about Buckleys and they say the only good beer they ever made was a Bock and you can't get it anymore. Which is a shame. The bloke who runs Buckleys is very passionate about the craft, but for some reason something is going wrong here with process or storage.

- 3 Troupers - Tried both and both had minor ferment flaws. Amber had sour nose and pilsener had some acetyl and slight sulphur. Unfortunate because have had them at Purvis Cellar tastings and enjoyed their beers previously.

Hopper.

It's looking like I'm Robinson Crusoe on Arctic Fox's APA. I just want to qualify my statement in regard to it. It does not have the flaws present that my APAs do. But my APAs taste largely of how they smell and for me this one just didn't present like that. It was far from being a bad beer but I was excited after smelling it and felt the flavour was something of a let down. I do hope the beer does well though if it opens up the market to more proper APAs. Lots of breweries around that say they make APAs...

The bad/indifferent:
- True South Summer Ale - infected with butterscotch flavours. Feel terrible dissing the beer as admire the head brewer and what she has acheived.

- 3 Troupers - Tried both and both had minor ferment flaws. Amber had sour nose and pilsener had some acetyl and slight sulphur. Unfortunate because have had them at Purvis Cellar tastings and enjoyed their beers previously.

Infected w/butterscotch = not infected. Well atleast unlikely. Moreso an issue with Diacetyl production and lack of reabsorbtion by the yeast. Who knows, the funny temps this week cound have kicked the beer into some secondary fermentation in the keg and hasnt managed to soak up the diacetyl. I am eager to try their beers as Sams reputation is well regarded. Will report back if i notice any funk or excessive diacetyl as you have described.

3 troupers being a failure! Damn that sucks! I will have another try tonight. I really love their bers when ive had them, especially the pilsner. Probably one of the best locally made Bohemian Pilsners IMO.

Hopping I also disliked True South's Summer Ale but I have to say Three Trouper's Pale Ale was decent. I enjoyed it anyway. It looks like that one might not have been on when HoppingMad visited their table though.

[EDIT - apologies to both HoppingMad and Leigh for somehow getting them mixed up]

If Tooborac's Pale Ale isn't infected it may as well be. Actually heard the brewer tell someone he didn't like it anymore.
Tooborac Stomemasons Pale Ale - Tipped it - possibly infected.

You've piqued my curiosity on this beer. I'll pop down tonight and see if I can identify a fault, or infection.
No affil, just curious.

reVox

You've piqued my curiosity on this beer. I'll pop down tonight and see if I can identify a fault, or infection.
No affil, just curious.

reVox

Might keep a ticket spare for this one too! Some good practice for BJCP.

Happy to be corrected - I'd hate to be spreading harmful info like that if it is not the case. Either way it tasted disgusting.

I definitely did hear the brewer himself tell a visitor to his table that he didn't like the pale. I agree with him completely.

Didn't get to the three troupers table bum.

The Tooborac Pale Ale was drinkable, but not as good as a Kooi or the Hawthorn. Tipped their amber as it tasted sickly sweet and burnt. The Ranga was a drinkable "safe" red. True Souths summer ale and pils didn't gel with my taste buds at all. Bright Breweies "Bright Lager" was full of yeast and just tasted like drinking a starter, their blowhard PA was OK, but again not as good as Kooi or Hawthorn.

I tried to get some hints as to what was in the Prickly Moses Organic as it was a very good drop, and I'd like to brew something similar...but they were very tight lipped...

Sorry, Leigh. And apologies to Hopping Mad too. Was going from memory and must have had a brain fart or something. Will edit accordingly.

Didn't get to the three troupers table bum.

The Tooborac Pale Ale was drinkable, but not as good as a Kooi or the Hawthorn. Tipped their amber as it tasted sickly sweet and burnt. The Ranga was a drinkable "safe" red. True Souths summer ale and pils didn't gel with my taste buds at all. Bright Breweies "Bright Lager" was full of yeast and just tasted like drinking a starter, their blowhard PA was OK, but again not as good as Kooi or Hawthorn.

I tried to get some hints as to what was in the Prickly Moses Organic as it was a very good drop, and I'd like to brew something similar...but they were very tight lipped...

The bright lager is an unfiltered lager, hence the yeast i guess.

Latest posts

Back