Fcuck you Tasmania

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducatiboy stu said:
so your saying......?
I'm saying that the data unequivocally shows that in 2012 there were more apprentices than in 1979. What are you saying?

Could you clarify how you say the data is manipulated? Specifically could you also say how the definition of apprentice isn't satisfactory (if you think it isn't)?

Sorry,....didnt realise that a trainee Barrista was lumped in with apprentice electricians, plumbers & builders..

My apologies for being ignorant

Where does it say that? Is a Barista under the Australian Apprenticeships Scheme? (Genuine question because I actually don't know).

Are you going to actually say what your position is?

Ducatiboy stu said:
You really are out of the loop Brad
So you got nothing to back up your statement? It was a genuine question. Are you talking about AAC's? I was just trying to clarify what you meant by third party. As I run an RTO that provides the vocational training for 500+ apprentices across 5 general construction trades, I would like to think I am kind of in the loop.

Also I thought you were referring to apprentices employed by Govt departments?

I reckon I'll relocate to Tassie in the next few years. My partner grew up in Blackmans Bay just south of Hobart & as much as I love Melbourne, I think Tassie would support the lifestyle we want more.

LagerBomb said:
My sentiments exactly jlm (we must catch up for our yearly beer, sooner rather than later)
I work for one of those horrible Iron Ore places. A few weeks ago I had to go to our ship loading facility and had to put up with this.
Terrible, isnt it.
attachicon.gif
20140719_085105.jpg
Tassie in the middle of winter isnt too bad, eh. Even for an Iron Ore plant.
attachicon.gif
20140719_104755.jpg

Would a fitter with 10 years shift maintenance experience in steel mills fit in at that big ore place? :) . Beautiful spot mate

I know my original statement about the future of our trades industry was based purely on anecdotal pieces of information, some of which may have been tinged at times by beer and gathered whilst partaking of same. At times. A reminder that even if there be some degree of truth in an anecdotal statement, I probably should follow my own credo and rely on observations, experience and careful research of a subject. My soap box at times has the knack of bringing out opinions which aren't necessarily grounded in fact. That's the occupational hazard of being a conspiracy theorist, I guess. You're gonna be close to the mark in some things, you've just got to pick your moments.

Back OT.....some of the pictures I've seen here have reenergised my desire to get to Tassie one day, it looks bloody stunning. I was planning to move down there back in about '97 I think it was, I was working in a steel warehouse at Eagle Farm and we had summer heat non stop from October through to April and if I could have found work down there I was gone!!!

Aside from the fly fishing aspect, can any Tassie boys tell me what the fishing is liike down there? And is it accessible (the good rock type stuff, I mean)?

And is there any work in counselling or disability down there? Current experience and studying.

@madpierre06

Tassie is stunning and the weather is fantastic. Winters are lots of fun with a short trip to snow somewhere and fireplaces, summer is gorgeous, swim worthy but not oppressive heat.
And anything you want pretty much grows here, the soil is fantastic. Fishing I've heard is good, someone I know has a freezer filled with brown trout.

But.....

• It is difficult to get a job or move jobs if the people you work for or with aren't crash hot.
  • Your work collegues will hate you, treat you as an outsider, talk about you behind your back and you'll never get into their inner sanctum.
  • Extrapolate that out for the majority of the population where I live and work (AHBers the massive exception - there are some fantastic AHB blokes living here) - anti-mainlander sentiment runs high in some places
  • Everything is expensive - even if it's grown in Tassie (carrots, apples, beer, salmon grown in tassie is cheaper in Brisvegas, than here - thus destroying the "it's the cost of shipping" furphy)
  • The majority of the population cannot afford to live the 'Gourmet Farmer' lifestyle that telly says is fantastic about Tassie - because most food is expensive (especially the gourmet stuff), most live on Doritos and coke, because it's cheaper and more plentiful than fresh food.
  • If you like good, non-Anglo food to eat out, forget it.

Don't think all the steel coming out of China is a throwback to Mao's Great Leap Forward with peasants smelting the stuff in coal fired clay furnaces out in the paddock. The Bluescope plants in Shanghai for one are as advanced as anything here, as its the product. Any structural steel used here is (or at least should be) backed by test certificates, metallurgist reports and a host of other 'signing off' nit picking. Thats part of the problem. Its an equally good product at a cheaper price.
Remember the old axiom 'Jap crap'? These days, 'Made in Japan' is almost the gold standard for reliable, precision equipment. From my Hilux (though it was assembled in Indoneisa..) to my D7000 Nikon and its disturbingly expensive lenses, basically the most high end stuff I own comes from Japan.

I'd wager we'll be saying the same thing about 'That Chinese made shit' in a few years also.

Except perhaps their hops..
I remember the jap crap stuff but there is a difference, ethics and copyright of which is few and far between in china and as far as certificates they just print them for you if needed
plenty of the big companies have had there fingers burnt
look at some of the so called colourbond steel roofs around here pretty easy to see the diff. and look at one steel in Rooty Hill got burnt when they imported structural steel from china big time, and that is probably why it's still operational and not shut down
one day they will get there but when anyone can copy anything someone else makes there will always be probs. and as far as quality the answer is it's only made to last a couple of years so you wont get it
they've still got a long way to go before they reach the jap stuff, at a guess i'de say 30 or so but where will the Japanese stuff be then?

come on Dave your not saying there hops are shit are you I thought theye'd be No1

anyway Dave enough of this shit you can have all the china crap and i'll get mine from elsewhere if possible

bradsbrew said:
So you got nothing to back up your statement? It was a genuine question. Are you talking about AAC's? I was just trying to clarify what you meant by third party. As I run an RTO that provides the vocational training for 500+ apprentices across 5 general construction trades, I would like to think I am kind of in the loop.

Also I thought you were referring to apprentices employed by Govt departments?
Im guessing his referring to the 'apprenticeship employment companies' who there is hundreds of now that take on people to find them an apprenticeship, in which the employer pays the apprenticeship company figures of $35/hr and the apprentice gets $12/hr. All for the sake of the employer being able to legally tell the apprentice to 'piss off, your useless/we have no work/i dont like paying that apprenticeship company double your actual wage' and then the apprenticeship company is stuck with them again.

shaunous said:
Im guessing his referring to the 'apprenticeship employment companies' who there is hundreds of now that take on people to find them an apprenticeship, in which the employer pays the apprenticeship company figures of $35/hr and the apprentice gets $12/hr. All for the sake of the employer being able to legally tell the apprentice to 'piss off, your useless/we have no work/i dont like paying that apprenticeship company double your actual wage' and then the apprenticeship company is stuck with them again.
But the govt does not pay Group Training Organisations to "manage" apprentices. They get incentives as does the average employer. Yes there is some extra funding but it is not for what Stu is implying. The new Further education and training act 2014 has taken the "protection" away from apprentices, it now allows employers to terminate employment as long as it meets IR standards, so in other words DETE has put the responsibility back to fair work. The apprentice can also walk away as long as they notify as per IR.

That's a bit bleak LRG.
I do agree with a lot but it is still a bit dark compared to my experience.

First off, I'm a first generation Tasmanian.
I agree that there is some 'bloody mainlanders' sentiment but in my experience, certainly in the circles I am involved in, it's along much the same lines as the whole two headed Tasmanian banter. This obviously sounds different for you but I don't feel it's representative of the entire population.
It possibly originates from property booms that have occurred here periodically in the past, often sparked by mainland investment.
As you said though, some places.

Food in Tas can be interesting. But also in other places too. When I worked in Townsville, during banana season, bananas were the same price in the supermarket there as they were back home. 2500km south of where they are grown. But I was smart. I bought mine from the grower. 5 for a 1 $. And yes, that is how the sign was written. I also picked mangoes by the road side, which were also the same price in the supermarket there as back home. It's the same with apples here.
Seafood is an economy of scale issue. I was talking to a calamari fisherman a few weeks back. I can't remember the exact amount he said now but he sends something like a tonne in a week to the fish markets in Melbourne. Tassie places were then buying it back from those same markets.
I suspect it is much the same for salmon.
Tasmanian wine is an interesting one too. I bet you didn't realise that quite a lot of Tasmanian wine, especially from the big producers, is shipped to Melbourne in 20000L tanks, bottled, then some of it sent back.

The beauty about Tassie is that you are never too far away from the people that grow the stuff and if you know how to look, you will find it.
I occasionally get oysters fresh off the boat for $7 a dozen. My cider apples this year cost me a grand total of $100 for 200kg. There's a guy about 20min away from my place that will sell you half a pig for about 4 bucks a kilo. I was at the market a few weeks back and there was a guy in full Holden Racing attire inquiring about the benefits of grass fed beef with the farmer.
Tasmanians have a pretty good connection to their food. Just not everybody knows about it yet.

Fine dining? Well you've got a very good point there. Sure we don't have Aria and we don't have Flower Drum and we don't have Tetsuyas. But ask Tetsuya what he thinks of Tasmanian produce.
We actually have some amazing restaurants here utilizing all of that good produce. Just not the same standard but understandable given that we just don't have the population base to support it during seasonal fluctuations.

Fair call. I've always said and continue to say, that tassie produce is awesome. It's just getting it.....

The problem is that 'unless you know someone who knows someone' - getting that produce and meat is pretty damn difficult. We bought a big freezer anticipating this, and just couldn't get the $4/kg pig. If you ask and you're a mainlander, they clam up.

The fruit and veg, when you can get it - is awesome (so long as it's not woolies) - and you know you've been here long enough when you have a 'favourite potato' (Dutch Cream for me). We have a local guy that supports the farmers, not cheap, but great F&V. But we live close to a helluva lot of farms and thought "let's see if they have that sort of fruit and veg" - it's a bit patchy and not something reliable enough to feed a family of 6 regularly - probably because a fair chunk of it ends up at simplot. One whole paddock of cauliflower was left to be eaten by sheep and then rot, because Simplot deemed it not good enough to package, but don't sell it to the shops as seconds.

If you own a couple of acres and can raise your own F&V, animals and the like (Gourmet farmer style) - then awesome. If you live in suburban block, you'll raise some veg, but getting cheap meat is impossible (the rump steak at IGA being an exception).

As for Mainlander 'freeze-out' - big issue in this part. Hobart is nice and more open-minded but in this neck of the woods, you feel pretty isolated - whether it's work, school, shops, neighbours, community at large. It's not the 'two-headed' 'bloody mainlander' ha ha, we pay each other out (I avoid making those jokes in order not to offend). It's full on prejudice. I suggest that Launceston, being big enough doesn't have that same issue and maybe if we'd docked at Launnie or Ho-town, our experience would be different.

We don't 'fine dine' - but if we want sushi/sashimi or some good Thai - yeah, you can get "Japanese" in the form of the Bento chain and "asian cafe" food - but not good stuff. The economically depressed state of Tassie makes it hard to function (Crumb Street kitchen lasted 2 months in Devonport) as a restaurant, given the fine margins, but man alive I could murder a bowl of ramen.

niftinev said:
I remember the jap crap stuff but there is a difference, ethics and copyright of which is few and far between in china and as far as certificates they just print them for you if needed
plenty of the big companies have had there fingers burnt
look at some of the so called colourbond steel roofs around here pretty easy to see the diff. and look at one steel in Rooty Hill got burnt when they imported structural steel from china big time, and that is probably why it's still operational and not shut down
one day they will get there but when anyone can copy anything someone else makes there will always be probs. and as far as quality the answer is it's only made to last a couple of years so you wont get it
they've still got a long way to go before they reach the jap stuff, at a guess i'de say 30 or so but where will the Japanese stuff be then?

come on Dave your not saying there hops are shit are you I thought theye'd be No1

anyway Dave enough of this shit you can have all the china crap and i'll get mine from elsewhere if possible
It may not take 30 years.
Look at the Korean cars. Kia and Hyundai have gone from pieces of shit even 10-15 years ago to better cars than we make in Australia now, and we have been trying for 60 years.

And Dave is right about the Japanese. They have forgotten more about making cars than the rest of the world put together knows.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
<p>

But.....

• It is difficult to get a job or move jobs if the people you work for or with aren't crash hot.
    - depends on your line of work and what you are willing to do.
  • Your work collegues will hate you, treat you as an outsider, talk about you behind your back and you'll never get into their inner sanctum.
    -happens everywhere I have worked, it's not just mainlanders that it happens to either. For some reason it takes a while to earn or trust.
  • Extrapolate that out for the majority of the population where I live and work (AHBers the massive exception - there are some fantastic AHB blokes living here) - anti-mainlander sentiment runs high in some places
    - yep, some of the smaller and older communities are like this. Especially where you are/were. They resent people coming in and buying properties, pushing prices up, without sing the positive flow ons from this.
  • Everything is expensive - even if it's grown in Tassie (carrots, apples, beer, salmon grown in tassie is cheaper in Brisvegas, than here - thus destroying the "it's the cost of shipping" furphy)
    -this amazes most Tasmanians as well. Some people are doing very well out of "transport".
  • The majority of the population cannot afford to live the 'Gourmet Farmer' lifestyle that telly says is fantastic about Tassie - because most food is expensive (especially the gourmet stuff), most live on Doritos and coke, because it's cheaper and more plentiful than fresh food. - not fair. Not many people any where can afford the gourmet farmer lifestyle. And I prefer Salt & Vinegar chips.
  • If you like good, non-Anglo food to eat out, forget it.
    -yep, but it is slowly changing.
Not having a Crack at you LRG, but it not as bad as you make it out to be. We generally don't have the population to support a lot of restaurants. The majority of the state is still rural, with rural attitudes that reflect this. There is diversity in Hobart and some in Launceston. Launceston has one of the best craft beer bars I have been in.

LagerBomb said:
Not having a Crack at you LRG, but it not as bad as you make it out to be. We generally don't have the population to support a lot of restaurants. The majority of the state is still rural, with rural attitudes that reflect this. There is diversity in Hobart and some in Launceston. Launceston had one of the best craft beer bars I have been in.
No worries mate, I'm not taking it personally and when I said some amazing AHB members in Tassie :wub: :icon_cheers:

And as I said in the other thread - I reckon Crown Cellars is one of the best craft beer bottle-os in the country and there is more craft beer bars per capita than just about anywhere else. The food is amazing (though often expensive) and tastes better than anywhere else on the Mainland (heck, I'd never tried fresh raspberries like they grow here until I moved here). The air is amazingly clean and smells fantasic, and I reckon it's easily the prettiest place in the country (I was driving back from Burnie yesterday along the Bass highway - ah-mazing), and one of the prettiest in the world.

But from my experience, it's a difficult place to live in when you're not from around here and I reckon that it would be a lot different if you're a local.

It was funny when I was researching before we moved here - there were polar opposite stories, some saying how amazing the move was, some worse than what I said in terms of feeling 'left out'. Such a small place can deliver such vastly different experiences.

I've sung Tassie's praises to mainland friends (who have come and contributed to the economy) as a tourist destination and it is fantastic for that. But, as growing up on the Sunshine Coast taught me, a place that is fantastic to visit as a tourist isn't the same as living there (good or bad or in between).

I suppose I'm trying to be even handed in my approach, unlike @OP. Yeah, fantastic stuff, but don't expect perfection, there are faults - as there are where I'm headed (back). Not looking forward to traffic and pollution again.

I have personally experienced none of the thinly veiled tribalism or prejudice toward 'mainlanders' hinted at in these threads by native Tasmanians.
Based on the fact I had sex (consensual, mind you) on several occasions with a mates cousin who was up on holiday from Rose Bay.
Survey size. 1.
Attitudes may have changed since 1994 however.

Dave, are you aware your post contains the words "Tasmanians", "sex", and "cousin".

Just sayin

Dave70 said:
Attitudes may have changed since 1994 however.
1996 was the watershed year for Tasmanian xenophobia. Just ask Martin Bryant.

Back