Favourite Saison Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indica86

Reaction score
Hi all, the weather is hot and I love a good saison. What is your favourite yeast and why?
I have used Belle Saison and quite like it, although it can pull your face off when brewed too warm - good but takes some maturing.
Yeast Bay Saison Blend - good stuff too, but not dry enough for me.
Two brews from Bridge Rd I liked used White Labs Saison 2 and Wyeast Belgian Saison.

Tasted my saison last night with 3724 (is that Belgian Saison/DuPont?). Flippin awesome. It fermented fine, thoughI aadded sugar syrup after it had chewed through about 25 points. Dry, bitter, peppery, funky.

I can't compare it to others though sorry...

I've drunk quite a number of different Saisons, and Dupont is definitely my favourite. The Wyeast Belgian Saison is the only yeast I've tried, but since I end up with something very much in the vein of Dupont, I'm happy. The word of advice is don't rush it. It can take a few weeks to fully attenuate, and you need to keep it warm.

T.

I kegged my first Saison I brewed with Wyeast 3711 the other day and I was quite impressed, amazingly clean with hints of lemon, pepper, bubblegum esters, simple recipe of 100% BestMalz Pils and EKGs.

I can't compare to any others either sorry.

Comparison or not, thanks for the tips.

Wy3711 for reliability and ease of use. I didn't have any luck with Wy3724 although plenty have. I am now limited in time and motivation so I have no interest in anything remotely temperamental. Belle saison failed to impress me after all the initial hype. But horses for courses and individual preferences and all that.

I've tried Belle, 3724, 3725, 3711 and 3726. My fave is DuPont and I believe 3724 is my fave saison yeast. I prefer dry n fruity, and I find 3711 and belle to be too peppery for my taste. 3724 is fiddly but worth it for me

The farmhouse ales book claims 4 strains, I think. It has been a while since I read it. Time for a reread methinks.

Hey guys still new here and wondering if anyone has any dry yeast varieties for saisons?

drtomc said:
The farmhouse ales book claims 4 strains, I think. It has been a while since I read it. Time for a reread methinks.
Yeah that's right. Still, I think the 3724 has produced the most similarities compared to the others listed. For my tastes anyway.

The others a re very good yeast strains, I just like the Belgian one for making saisons like dupont. The farmhouse one 3726 I think, is much quicker in my experience, and pretty bloody good too. Just doesn't remind me of dupont.

Yep, I have tried the Danstar Belle Saison and it gave good, clean results.

Just got some

[SIZE=10pt]Wyeast 3725-PC Biere de Garde™[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]"[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Beer Styles:[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] Saison, Biere de Garde, Belgian Blonde Ale, Belgian Pale Ale, Belgian Golden Strong Ale[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Profile: Low to moderate ester production with subtle spiciness. Malty and full on the palate with initial sweetness. Finishes dry and slightly tart. Ferments well with no sluggishness.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Alc. Tolerance[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] 12% ABV [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Flocculation[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] low[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Attenuation[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] 74-79% [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Temp. Range[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] 70-84°F (21-29°C)""[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Seems interesting. I'll use it for a few brews on the bench in the brew shed.[/SIZE]

My hand is up for 3726. I like 3724, but seems a little 'fussier' (for lack of a better term) than the 3726.

I've only used 3711 and I really liked the outcome. I know other people have had issues with it stalling but in my case it dropped down to 1.002 in about 3 days at around 20 degrees.

BrewedCrudeandBitter said:
I've only used 3711 and I really liked the outcome. I know other people have had issues with it stalling but in my case it dropped down to 1.002 in about 3 days at around 20 degrees.
Are you sure you've heard that 3711 has issues? It's normally Dupont/3724 that has issues stalling out. 3711 is a beast that eats up any sugar in sight without a risk of stalling.

My personal fave is 3724, or culturing dregs from a bottle of Dupont. To get past the stalling issue, it's a good idea to combine yeasts: 90% 3724 with 10% something else like 3711, Danstar Saison (which can make an excellent saison if used well), Wallonian Farmhouse, or Belgian high gravity.

Latest posts

Back