Faux Lager recipe help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
technobabble66 said:
distinctive lager flavour.
What is a 'lager flavour'? Not being a dick, I just don't know what you're referring to. Lagers to me, are crisp and clean so if that's what you mean then I understand entirely. Anything else, you've got me stumped.

Banana is fairly weird - never heard of it with Notto.

The other stuff sounds par for the course.

I do like a CC if possible with notto and some gelatin. It does make carbonation a long process but the beer is always considerably clearer.

If you're kegging it's absolutely fantastic how clear and lager-like the beer can get.

Yeah, Banana - wtf?? But that's the best way to describe it. If I was to break it down I'd say it was the combo of some residual yet-to-be-fermented sugar with the light golden barley grainy flavour (golden = kinda light slightly fruity malt, I s'pose). Resulted in a very banana-ry aroma. No flavour of banana luckily. Once the sweetness dropped out this aroma also dropped out. I know I'm correlating an aroma with a flavour but there you go. Maybe I should mean fruity instead of sweet, in terms of aroma.

Ok. Lager flavour. Tricky. Maybe I'm just referring to that clean dryness lagers have. But I kinda find an additional slightly subtle element of carbonic acidity or dry "sting". As good as I can describe, I think.

How's that elaboration?

I had a banana aroma from a partial batch I put together fermentedd with notto, currently got a faux lager fermenting with 100% JW trad ale and 20 ibu's of saaz, notto for the yeast

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Banana is fairly weird - never heard of it with Notto.
Old thread I realise, but I've also had banana with Notto. Was a Neil's Centenarillo I did a couple of years ago before I had a fermentation fridge & at the time I assumed it was too warm-a ferment.

Hey PI,
I think in hindsight it might've been the strong presence of the BOH pils (given it was the only malt) providing a very light malt profile (v light golden syrup or invert sugar kind of fruitiness is the best I can describe) combined with some esters or something from the Notto. Thus producing what my senses interpreted as banana-like. Minor flaw in this is the temp was so low that esters shouldn't hv been produced (I believe), and though the temp was a bit low for Notto (13-14) it shouldn't hv been too stressed. Who knos?

Yeah it's an odd thing. Mine was an extract brew with LME from memory. I suppose that may be made from pils. It was the nicest of the 4 or 5 extract brews I did, hence the shift to AG!

Good thread for me this one as going to ferment 2 batches 100% pils malt with Tettnang with wy 2565
The other 95% pils 5% wheat with perle with nottingham yeast
Going to ferment both at 14c using 2 packets of notto & will be rehydrating @ 30
Will mix wort to bring temp down to 20c & then pitch the lot into fermenter
Hope this is the right procedure never hydrated or used notto before
Will ferment for 2 weeks then if both are done will cc

Sounds great. As above, keep us posted.
Fwiw, I'd suggest fermenting the Notto at 15*C - mine at 13-14*C seemed a bit stressed. It had a slight banana ester element to the "honey" malt flavour of the 100% Boh pils.
Or it might've been something else that went wrong - under pitched, etc. Who knows?! :lol:

technobabble66 said:
Sounds great. As above, keep us posted.
Fwiw, I'd suggest fermenting the Notto at 15*C - mine at 13-14*C seemed a bit stressed. It had a slight banana ester element to the "honey" malt flavour of the 100% Boh pils.
Or it might've been something else that went wrong - under pitched, etc. Who knows?! :lol:
I have made a bunch of these and have never tasted the banana. I check for it every time though :)

I agree with the 15-16 degrees. Certainly seems to be the sweet spot for me.

I've done it at 12 with Notto, but that's pitched at 16, brought down to 12 and then d-rest at 20 once it's basically at FG.

I've used a similar method with US05 (not 12 degrees though - it was 15 degrees) and entered (and won a bronze) as a lager.

Yeah, the Notto seemed to work fine at 13-14*c, but I ended up with this banana-ish element. Maybe I just massively under pitched?
It was my first one, so I really need to do a few more to have a better idea.

I strongly suggest everyone regularly sample and check their beers for bananas. Maybe even several samples per night :lol:

Will try & pitch @ 18c then over 2 days bring it down to 14C
With the D rest its best done a few points off FG isnt it or can you do it a few days after FG

technobabble66 said:
Yeah, the Notto seemed to work fine at 13-14*c, but I ended up with this banana-ish element. Maybe I just massively under pitched?
It was my first one, so I really need to do a few more to have a better idea.
I strongly suggest everyone regularly sample and check their beers for bananas. Maybe even several samples per night :lol:
Hey matey just a thought , do the same recipe again and pitch fresh healthy yeast, then u will know. Might just be the side affect of pitching a bunch of grampas army.

Yeah, true, Jk.
Will def revisit this - the next simple brew i do (still a few others to do first) will either be a basic sparkling ale or a faux lager - basically the same recipe, just a choice between 17-18°C or 15-16°C fermentation temp, really.
So if i decide to go with the faux lager, i'll def go with only a fresh pack(s) of Notto, and maybe even use a starter to boost up the yeast numbers first.

TBH what i should do is both, actually: Do 2 lots of the same recipe, ferment one at 15°C, & one at 18°C and see what difference it makes for my perceptions.

technobabble66 said:
Yeah, true, Jk.
Will def revisit this - the next simple brew i do (still a few others to do first) will either be a basic sparkling ale or a faux lager - basically the same recipe, just a choice between 17-18°C or 15-16°C fermentation temp, really.
So if i decide to go with the faux lager, i'll def go with only a fresh pack(s) of Notto, and maybe even use a starter to boost up the yeast numbers first.

TBH what i should do is both, actually: Do 2 lots of the same recipe, ferment one at 15°C, & one at 18°C and see what difference it makes for my perceptions.
Yeah that's where I am at now ! think split batches, different yeasts but they have to be at the same temp for me I only have one fridge. I love the idea of low temp notto, I'm brewing a Swartz tomorrow but I will be using 833. But I might brew it again and ferment with notto. And put them side by side. Cheers

Back