Fat Yak - Ag Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still can't get over the number of people who want to brew multinational crap! Why not try & clone something from Feral, BridgeRoad or Red Hill? Support the independent little guys & you will have good beer for the rest of your lives, not just keep Foster's shareholders happy!

Plenty of love and support for the little guys around these parts...

I guess one way you could look at it - people wanting to try and clone Fat Yak - if successful, are more likely to brew rather than buy the real thing... therefore depriving the shareholders you so clearly despise :ph34r:

Brendo

The beauty of cloning a beer I find is unravelling the secrets of how a beer you like is put together.

Then once you master it a little and get close in flavour, improving on the original to suit your own taste (more hops, more toasty flavours etc).

Cloning is not always a means to an end, it can be the start of an even better beer.

Cloning a beer well also means you have a commercial style crowd pleaser on tap for when non-brewers drop by as not everyone will appreciate your well crafted Lambic spiced with bog myrtle.

I don't think necessarily everyone here is worshipping at the altar of Fat Yak, but those like me that are thinking of cloning it recognise that this is a well liked popular beer out there with the masses and would like to have a beer like this to hand around.

Hopper.

I still can't get over the number of people who want to brew multinational crap! Why not try & clone something from Feral, BridgeRoad or Red Hill? Support the independent little guys & you will have good beer for the rest of your lives, not just keep Foster's shareholders happy!

if you wanted to support the small independants you wouln't clone em, but buy em ?

It's multinational breweries making the likes of Fat Yak that are converting the masses. Who will in turn support the independent little guys.

The beauty of cloning a beer I find is unravelling the secrets of how a beer you like is put together.

Then once you master it a little and get close in flavour, improving on the original to suit your own taste (more hops, more toasty flavours etc).

Cloning is not always a means to an end, it can be the start of an even better beer.

Well Said!!

Screwy

If you enjoy the taste of a particular beer does it matter where is comes from/who brewed it? Just, try to clone it, improve it, do whatever you like.

If you're placing your enjoyment of a beer purely on who/how it is was brewed I think you might be enjoying it for the wrong reasons.

Cheers SJ

All of your 3 posts so far are pretty similar huh shadowofdarkness?

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...mp;#entry581909

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...mp;#entry578933

Matilda Bay competitor perhaps?

Logic. You should try using it some time.

Love Fat Yak, to hell with Matilda Bay since they closed down in WA. Beer does not taste the same anymore so they lost my vote.

I am keen to try the Brewcraft Clone kit so I don't have to buy anything from Matilda Bay.

How is bootlegging someone's product supporting them?

Gava, Fourstar; how has the recipe development been going? My dad is a big fan of Fat Yak so I'd like to make him a batch. It's the hoppiest beer dad will drink so keeps us both happy.

I have a keg still of the recipe listed in this thread... Not sure if its a fat yak clone but tastes nice.. Little hoppy for me (its good once its warmer) mind you I did subsitute some grains...

To be honest I haven't had a fat yak for awhile so im not sure how close it is.. I might get a sixer and see..

In the end , a nice hoppy beer very drinkable..

I have a keg still of the recipe listed in this thread... Not sure if its a fat yak clone but tastes nice.. Little hoppy for me (its good once its warmer) mind you I did subsitute some grains...
To be honest I haven't had a fat yak for awhile so im not sure how close it is.. I might get a sixer and see..
In the end , a nice hoppy beer very drinkable..

I think the hopping rates should be pretty close. Maybe the malt profile needs to be dumbed down so something like:

95% Ale Malt
3% Carapils
2% Caramalt

They also note "its brewed from natural ingredients including premium malts" on their website, unlike their bohemian which states "100% golden malts"

Maybe it needs some sucrose in there, say 4% of the grain bill?

Ive gone off bohemian, dogbolter and alpha etc, since they were rebranded and put in the 4 packs. I wonder if they are still the same beers ? I should probably find out.

They used to be so good. Alpha pale ale on tap was heaven

Ive gone off bohemian, dogbolter and alpha etc, since they were rebranded and put in the 4 packs. I wonder if they are still the same beers ? I should probably find out.

They used to be so good. Alpha pale ale on tap was heaven

I had a bohemian and it was fantastic yesterday. Very much a bohemian pilsner.

Have had the Alpha a few times lately and it's pretty tasty, good firm bitterness and nice aroma. Pity about the four packs

Cheers SJ

if you wanted to support the small independants you wouln't clone em, but buy em ?

Perhaps it wans't made clear..... When you clone a multinational beer like Fat Yak, you have obviously purchased it and continue to do so.... And you will encourage your friends to do so by offering them similarly home brewed beer. If, however, you brew a feral, bridge road, mountain goat etc. clone, it means you have purchased them, and by brewing clones of them, you will not only encourage your friends to seek them out and buy them, but, when you happen to have run out of homebrewed clone, you will also hopefully go and buy said independents beer.

Logical.

Perhaps it wans't made clear..... When you clone a multinational beer like Fat Yak, you have obviously purchased it and continue to do so.... And you will encourage your friends to do so by offering them similarly home brewed beer. If, however, you brew a feral, bridge road, mountain goat etc. clone, it means you have purchased them, and by brewing clones of them, you will not only encourage your friends to seek them out and buy them, but, when you happen to have run out of homebrewed clone, you will also hopefully go and buy said independents beer.
Logical.

The funny thing about this is clones 95% of the time dont actually end up as being a clone but an uglier red head stepchild (with the odd beautiful long lost lover) of a beer that we prefer to consume but was inspired merely by the hop/malt profile of the beer we where seeking out as a clone.

I can see your point but frankly if your beer tastes like the commercial example, your mates will drink your beer for free than go and buy a bottle of yak!

When you clone a multinational beer like Fat Yak, you have obviously purchased it and continue to do so.... And you will encourage your friends to do so by offering them similarly home brewed beer.

Fat Yak is like a 'gateway drug' for more hoppy beers and other microbrewed styles (as someone else mentioned). The grain and hop profile is a tad more neutral though, but it gives a newbie somewhere to start. I would prefer to have mates that order a Fat Yak at a bar over some of the other thin and watery options like a Pure Blonde any day of the week. If they grow to love grain flavours and hops and don't find them offensive after trying a Fat Yak Clone, then that's a plus.

If, however, you brew a feral, bridge road, mountain goat etc. clone, it means you have purchased them, and by brewing clones of them, you will not only encourage your friends to seek them out and buy them, but, when you happen to have run out of homebrewed clone, you will also hopefully go and buy said independents beer.

Agree with this. Once you get a non-brewer excited about flavour in their ale they will start seeking it out on their own. :icon_cheers:

Hopper.

Back