Fast Yeasts Or Have I Got It Wrong

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruce86

Reaction score
Hey guys trying to work out if u have missed something as i have only done 2 kit brews. The first was a coopers larger (heritage) i tried to keep it round the same temp but it fluctuated between 22 to 26 (started round the 26 mark but cooled). i already bottled this one after i got 3 readings at 1008 over 3 days. the first reading was taken on day 4 after brewing was done. The second im running has now had 2 readings at 2012 (coopers mex with BE2 and hersbrucker hops steeped) keeped closer to 22 deg but have had the same reading since day 5. should i bottle.

are these brewing times right for around those temps? :huh:

i guess got worried since the kits said can take 2 weeks to brew and have searched through this and it seems brewing should be taking me longer.

Hey mate

In my limited experience with dried yeasts they can be done within 4 days. However I find I get much better results, especially with clear beers like a lager, leaving them on the yeast cake for around 12-14 days or even longer.

If you cant wait though (I would really try leaving it) you would generally be safe to bottle if it is low as expected and the same reading 3 days in a row. I do understand the feeling of urgency to sample your new brew :p

Those temps are quite high for a lager though, so might not be the best lager. But see how it goes and let it age if you can for a few months. Most kits dont come with a lager yeast anyway so might be fine

Sounds about right to me for 22-24 degree fermenting... i'm guessing you're using the packet yeast? (Probably want to look at buying a $6 dried yeast packet for your next batch - the kit packs are not very good to begin with, and are very rarely treated with the respect they deserve).

You'll get about a 2 week long ferment at 16-18 degrees - but in most of Australia during summer you'll need either a fridge or freezer and temp control (just got my STC-1000 setup - it's fantastic) - or have a look through the forums for various plans involving frozen water bottles/ice bricks, eskys or even fans and wet towels to provide some cooling.

Like I said, I only just got my fermenting freezer setup, but the "general wisdom" round these parts is that a slower, constant temperature fermentation will produce a better tasting beer....

Hey mate

In my limited experience with dried yeasts they can be done within 4 days. However I find I get much better results, especially with clear beers like a lager, leaving them on the yeast cake for around 12-14 days or even longer.

If you cant wait though (I would really try leaving it) you would generally be safe to bottle if it is low as expected and the same reading 3 days in a row. I do understand the feeling of urgency to sample your new brew :p

Those temps are quite high for a lager though, so might not be the best lager. But see how it goes and let it age if you can for a few months.

im not in a rush to get them cracked. i do realise they were a little high tried to get them lower. will plan better in future :p so you reckon to leave the brew in the fermenter for another week just sitting there? so total 14days in fermenter then bottle and leave for 3 weeks.

Sounds about right to me for 22-24 degree fermenting... i'm guessing you're using the packet yeast? (Probably want to look at buying a $6 dried yeast packet for your next batch - the kit packs are not very good to begin with, and are very rarely treated with the respect they deserve).

You'll get about a 2 week long ferment at 16-18 degrees - but in most of Australia during summer you'll need either a fridge or freezer and temp control (just got my STC-1000 setup - it's fantastic) - or have a look through the forums for various plans involving frozen water bottles/ice bricks, eskys or even fans and wet towels to provide some cooling.

Like I said, I only just got my fermenting freezer setup, but the "general wisdom" round these parts is that a slower, constant temperature fermentation will produce a better tasting beer....

cheers mate. i have this brew sitting in a chest freezer (off) and had ice blocks in there but didnt want to drop the temp 2much from the initial pitching temp or is that ok. (can i just let the brew sit there to cool down before pitching. i had added 2 much hot water at start)
also have noted to grab a saf yeast for next brew just not sure what to try yet.

Yeah grab yourself a big bucket (got one for a few dollars) fill with water and put the fermenter in there next time. Add ice bricks (i use soft drink bottles with water frozen) and do that twice a day to get it a few degrees lower. I use this all the time and has worked well.

Lagers really need to be done either with an ale yeast as a fake lager, or at 12-15 degrees or so in a temp controlled fridge. I have done ales as I use my freezer for kegging and dont have another fridge for fermentation.

Yeah, leaving it for another week or so will help drop alot of crap out of the beer you don't want in bottles and allow the yeast to clean up since they probably made alot of crap at that temp. Would help even more if you cold crash it in a fridge if you have enough room for another week or so after in the fermenter.

Latest posts

Back