Fast Ferment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis

Official keg inhaler
Reaction score
Last sunday I put down a brew of Artisan ale fresh wort from G&G to which I added 500g Bairds crystal steeped and boiled for an hour with 10g POR 60min and 10g Saaz 10min. The yeast i used was Wyeast 1050. OG was 1050. Temp sat at about 16-18
Today on day 6 the SG is 1012 and it tastes good

This is by far the fastest ferment I have had by many days. Does the liquid yeast ferment quicker than the dry stuff???
I have used mainly US-05 before

Cheers

:icon_chickcheers:

I don't believe it's fast if it's taken 6 days to get down to 1012.

I've had wheats done in 2 to 3 days at 22C.

My experience is that if you build up an adequate starter, liquid yeasts will kick off quicker than dry.

I'd say your yeast health was good and oxygenation on the money and the yeast has done what it's meant to.

I'd say your yeast health was good and oxygenation on the money and the yeast has done what it's meant to.

Ok, thanks guys. I am still new to this.
This was my first try with the Wyeast smack packs and the bag puffed up a couple of hours after smacking it. So I guess the yeast was in a working mood.
Thing is I had to leave the fermenter in the wifes hands after day 1 and a very fine crausen had formed. I was expecting to come home, four days later to find a slow ferment.
But eh, its all good yeah
Life is good
:icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back