Fan In Chest Fridge Setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodmac66

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
This is my first post and I am new to this great hobby or passion.
I have just recently set up my freezer with 4 kegs and used the fridgemate for temperature control.
I see most use computer fans for circulation 12V.
Are they the best option as i would have thought with moisture they wouldn't last long?
If so I already have one and do you wire them to run constantly and how long do they last?

Thanks for all the ideas on this site and I have to ay it makes it a lot easier for newbies like me!

Woody

hey mate, welcome to ahb!

I've had mine, a normal computer fan, running constantly for about 8 months now. No problems at all.

A tub of damprid does a good job at pulling out the moisture and you only really fog up when you open the lid and allow air in.

My fans are running 24/7 and no problems at all.

I run mine 24/7 as well.

I have about 5 old busted computers sitting around so a new fan isn't that big of a deal. And when they do let go its not the end of the world, usually make alot noise first. Just grab another one, computer shops should sell them for $10 or less.

Mine is set up to run when the compressor kicks in, so the temperature gets read at the top of the kegerator (where the collar is), then the fan will come on and blow the hot air down to get it swirling, I find that this evens the temperature out nicely, no layering of air.

Crundle

I got an electrical cabnet fan from DICKSMITH,its 240v moisture resistant, think it was about $20,its wired into the frigmate freezer side and only runs when freezer comes on.I went for 240v because of the hastle of getting a computer power source to run the computer fans[they run a 3 phase brushless motor=3 motor wires 12v]
Russ

Thanks guys that helps heaps.
The temp on my Fidgemate says it is getting down to Zero to -1.

I have set all the parameters as instructed in the fridge column on the instructions.
What is the best temp to keep it at an tried to increase this by adjustin the minimum temp but that doesn't seem to work.
Any suggestions??

Woody

I have set all the parameters as instructed in the fridge column on the instructions.
What is the best temp to keep it at an tried to increase this by adjustin the minimum temp but that doesn't seem to work.
Any suggestions??

Welcome aboard.

1. Press and hold the SET button to enter set point mode and select your desired temperature (I generally set mine at between 4-6 degrees).

If this doesn't bring you joy then:

2. Double check wiring against some helpful step by step FridgeMate guide

3. Double check settings against FridgeMate instructions for fridge operation.

Woody, if you have your fridgemate set higher and its still chilling down too low, the compressor delay is set for too long/high. Compressor delay is designed to minimise the risk of youre motor blowing due to turning onand off constantly. I think the recommended setting is 9min, meaning once the fridge/freezer turns on, it will stay on for 9min. When it turns off, it won't come on again for 9min.
Despite your 'set' temp being 4 degrees (for example) the fridge/freezer is staying on due to the compressor delay and is cooling too far.

Generally the little computer fans will run from an old mobile phone charger (~5V) but just slower than with a 12V source. You really only need a gentle action to stir up the inside of the fridge so thats no problem for our use. If you want to get fancy you can run it 24/7 and fit a micro switch under the lid/door so that the fan stops when you open it - this prevents your cool air being pumped out.

I thought the compressor delay was only for the delay between it coming on not for how long it runs as well. How long it runs for is more dependant on how long it actually takes to cool the freezer down to the low temp.

I thought the compressor delay was only for the delay between it coming on not for how long it runs as well. How long it runs for is more dependant on how long it actually takes to cool the freezer down to the low temp.

I was under the same impression. I thought the compressor delay just prevented the compressor flickering on and off which would put more stress on the unit and shorten its life expectancy

I got an electrical cabnet fan from DICKSMITH,its 240v moisture resistant, think it was about $20,its wired into the frigmate freezer side and only runs when freezer comes on.I went for 240v because of the hastle of getting a computer power source to run the computer fans[they run a 3 phase brushless motor=3 motor wires 12v]
Russ

The third wire in the computer fan is for feedback temperature control and adjusts the fan speed accordingly from the mainboard of a computer. This wire is not needed in a Freezer setup as it's speed would be constant without it. A cheap source for a 12V supply to run multiple fans in a freezer is from an old computer P/supply. I would consider it a safer option inside a freezer that a 240VAC supply. Computer cooling fans of all sizes can be picked up cheap at markets or swap meets.

I was under the same impression. I thought the compressor delay just prevented the compressor flickering on and off which would put more stress on the unit and shorten its life expectancy

Exactly as you have written it, I believe it works BOTH ways. What would be the point of having it flick on for 30sec every 9min? Surely thats almost as bad as having it cycle every 30sec/1min? Having said that, I haven't sat there with a stopwatch and measured it. Give it a try and I think it might solve your problem. It certainly seems like the most obvious cause to me.

Alternate power supplies can also be 12V transformers used for downlights. You can get little digital ones that barely get hot and are pretty reliable unlike the old dodgy big hot ones.

When reseting my frigemate I've found you cant alter the temp while the comp is running,so
1 alter the delay time to max
2 press/hold set button-adj to reqd set temp[if going from chil to heat,get as close as possable]wait 30secs
3 press set +up buttons to get into "F" system
4set diff to max
5 set max temp to max,min temp to min
6 wait 30 secs press/hold set button set to desired temp
7 back into F system adjust min to 2* below set temp, max 2*above temp, diff 2* [or whatever temp swings you want]
8 set type-frige/heat
9 reset comp delay time
I had a lot of trouble at first trying to go from 0*-18* til I realised you coud'nt go outside the set max/min unless you changed the temp diff,spose to stop anyone just pushing the set button and altering the reqd temp[think these were orig for comercial use]works for me ;)
Russ

That is all great advice and really appreciated.

It appears to be working awesomely now and I brought some Data loggers home from work and put 1 in a glass of water and the other just sitting on the bottom of the freezer.

I took the temperature of the glass of water and it was sitting on exactly what i set the fridge temp @.

Can't wait too d/load the data as I have set it too take temps every 30 minutes and will see the fluctuation and how often the motor cuts in and how long it takes to bring the temp down..
I only did this because I had the loggers sitting there @work and was curious.

I will set up rthe fan and power supply today ..
What temprature is the best for Keg setup I have it set currently on 1degree..

Woody

Can you tell me more about the data loggers.
How do they work, how do the connect, where do you get them etc

Gregor

These are the Data loggers they are called a Tiny Tag.

This is the place where work get them from.
I am in the Chicken idustry so our whole business is about temperature and temperature verification.
They are pretty expensive but great for providing information to make sure a process is stable.
You just down load them onto you computer and they will detail exxactly what is going on at the intervals you ask for.
I am very new to all this as you can see but looking forward to learning heaps from this site.
Just looking at references made to temperature on the fermenting side I think they will be helpfull in providing some good feedback during the fermenting process to certify what you think is happening is actually is really happening.
I want to get all my equipment working as stable as I can so I have good control of temperature .
I have a whole room inside my shed that I can control the temperature with a air conditioner in the wall that is fully insulated which is where i will do all my fermenting.
Next step is to make sure all that is stable .
http://www.geminidataloggers.com/data-loggers/tinytag-plus-2Contact Us
Hastings Dataloggers
Postal Address
PO Box 5112, Port Macquarie
NSW 2444 Australia

Unit 3 Uralla Park Estate
Merrigal Road, Port Macquarie
NSW 2444, Australia

Emails: [email protected]
Tel: +61 (02) 6581 3900
Fax: +61 (02) 6581 3988

Woody