False Bottom Options For 70l Pot

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much smaller than your actual internal dimension did you go for?

eg. if internal dimension was 446mm (for example the CB 70L pot) would you go for one which is 444mm (1mm all around) or more like 442mm (2mm all around)?

all good, even with shipping price was good for something custom, though I had to change what they had quoted as I wanted the heavier guage, will let you know how it goes.

I got an answer back from Norcal. Don't know what happened to my other emails, must have been lost in the ether....

They said they can make whatever size/stand etc.

Regarding shipping:

"Shipping could be tricky for an item of this size to Australia. It would need to be sent via Priority Mail, and is too large to fit into a Flat Rate box. I am guessing that false bottom and stand would be around 4 pounds, so figure it will be either $46.40, or $50.55 (if it ends up being over 4 but less than 5 pounds)."

Right. Now I'm thinking I may want a bigger pot, rather than 70L. Bigger is better right.... :beerbang: :beerbang:

OK, so I ended up getting a 98L stockpot off ebay. It's massive!! It has a 497mm internal diameter. Awesome. I am planning on going with Norcal for the FB.

Next question is, with a pot that has a relatively flat bottom, and is 497mm ID should i just get the FB and no stand? will the false bottom just sit down on top of the slightly curved bit on the base? Or will I need a stand? If I sit it flat and get a dip tube, will the weight of grain push it down and stop flow? I guess if there is always fluid under there (which there will be) it would have to compress the fluid for it to drop....

Thoughts?

Or should I go with a stand? I guess the issue with a stand is you loose a lot of space in your mash tun.

There is no captive fluid to be compressed, it's a fb, the fluid just passes through it.

All this bling....

Latest posts

Back