Fake lager questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supertonio

Reaction score
Hi,

I am planning on a fake lager with a SG of around 1.045 and I will ferment with Nottingham.

I plan to no chill this and ferment at around 14c. Should I get the wort down to 14c at the time of pitching and should I use two packs of yeast?

Scott

you're in edinburgh. you should be making lagers in the garden, under the sun.
you can wave your kilt at it on an occasional basis to warm it up and freak it out into some sort of activity :p

some things just jump up and say Pleeeaasse bite me

I made a faux-lager recently & fermented with Notto at 14C. I only used one packet & was happy with how it fermented out - no issues at all. I also used an oxygen kit to oxygenate the wort.

I haven't taken notto down to 14C before but have had clean ferments at 16C with only one packet.

I would've thought 2 packs would be a massive overpitch as it's still, technically, an ale.

potentially a silly q :)

if you can ferment at 14 why not use a lager yeast ?

I've seen/tasted Pils at 18-20 with US05 and that was fine.

You will be able to ferment with the Nottingham at 14C, as for one packet or two that would depend on the volume you are making.
Though I do agree with mxd why not use a lager yeast or are you just experimenting.

Could always use 2112 or 2565 at those temps for something fairly clean and lager-esque.

Using a lager yeast would then require the additional lagering process, I haven't made a lager yet for this very reason.....

Most lager yeasts chuck a bit of rotten egg, which dissipates with a long lagering rest.
Notto can chew through a brew and get the job done in a quarter of the time.

I recently did a faux oktoberfest with WY2565 at 12.5C. Fermented out in 10 days and came out lager like. Repitched into a kolsch and fermented that at 13. Made the same oktoberfest with WLP029 and it didn't really kick until I raised the temp to 16.

I've often used Notty that way and for the purpose prefer it to any liquid or other dry ale yeast, and I've tried a few.

Pitch at your starting fermentation temperature. At 14 and 1.045 OG you're probably all right with one packet if the volume is no more than 20L, but the start will be a bit slow. Under those conditions be sure to attemperate according to directions. Actually, I like to pitch at 13 and often pitch two packets because of slightly larger volume and higher og.

Faux lager vs true lager yeast: much depends on how you condition your beer. Even with Notty you may find you need a diacetyl rest after cold fermentation. Cold-conditioning much improves Notty faux lagers, but in general I've found a shorter time gives the same effect as a longer time with a true lager yeast. Notty also has those great compact sediments.

Re US-05 and others of the misnamed "Chico" strain, one microbiologist traced it back to the old Newark Ballantine brewery, where it was used to brew a faux lager ("Ballantine Beer"), but not that brewery's better regarded ales.

I've made true lagers too, though I've fermented them at 10-12C.

I've only made one faux lager & it was partially for a faster turn around and partly to see what it was like. I only have one fermenting fridge & didn't want to tie it up over the summer.

Incidentally I did Febfast and the faux lager keg is about 2/3 full. It's pretty good, though not that exciting. Just a clean drinking, very pale beer.

If you can temp control your ferments, why not just do the 'tasty' lager ferment method? Get it done as quick as an ale + a little cold conditioning in the keg (which you need to do anyway) and you have yourself a proper lager.

Pitch rate is related to the temperature you ferment/pitch at pretty much irrespective of yeast strain. Ive asked the question before so basically if you are using an ale yeast at ale temperatures, you pitch at ale rates. If for whatever reason you pitched a lager yeast but warm (ale temps), an ale pitch rate would be appropriate.

Matplat said:
Using a lager yeast would then require the additional lagering process, I haven't made a lager yet for this very reason.....
what exactly do you mean by that? Why does a lager yeast require lagering yet an ale yeast doesnt?

GalBrew said:
If you can temp control your ferments, why not just do the 'tasty' lager ferment method? Get it done as quick as an ale + a little cold conditioning in the keg (which you need to do anyway) and you have yourself a proper lager.
I use a version of this on my lagers, slightly longer time frame (4 weeks) but the beers have all turned out really nice, especially after a couple of weeks in the keg fridge. Been doing a lot more lagers since I started using this method, compared to the old drawn out method I used to use.

GalBrew said:
Or why not do a faux lager? I just wanted to give it a go & I reckon it's a method that makes a pretty reasonable beer with a packet of dry yeast, no starter etc.

Like I say, I've done true lagers too. I have also been reading the brülosophy posts re: higher ferment temps for lagers & I'm intrigued. Will probably give it a try later in the year.

danestead said:
what exactly do you mean by that? Why does a lager yeast require lagering yet an ale yeast doesnt?
I can't remember the exact reasons of the top of my head, but letting the sulphur dissipate is one of them. Read the bit about lagers being different on howtobrew.com for a more concise answer

Latest posts

Back