F*ck you Woolworths

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IGA still sell a range of Laucke flours and I'm sure I've seen Wallaby in there.

For a perfect flour, try Kialla Mills stone ground if you can get it locally.

The really worrying fact in the supermarket world is that eventually, small business will fold & the big boy one stop shop will hold monopoly on our freedom to buy what we want. It's already happening & you'll see more & more small business close simply because they can't compete with range nor prices due to buying volume & power. We're already forced to change brands or buy bigger, or even buy 2 items for a cheaper price than just one alone. It's ironic that shop owners come into Coles to buy their Coke cans far cheaper than they can buy direct from Coke themselves. The buying power & volume of sales from these food chains is quite frightening & in years to come, they'll be the only ones left standing & you'll have no choice but to shop there.

It is a lot worse than you think. Our company has to pay for shelf space to both woolies and coles. That is so the product is at eye level. Last year alone they paid $200 million just for shelf space. On top of that Woolies and Coles dictate when we have specials and for how much. Yet they are able to sell their homebrand products and don't have the extra cost of shelf space.

Not sure I gots the feels for them based on their Masters fuckup, That was an idiotic idea from the get go.
the idea was fine, it was the implimentation that sucked, it beggers beleif that they couldn't turn a profit selling hardware, mostly non perishable goods at huge markups.

The kr part was started in the Darling Downs. The Don part was started in Essendon with the last 3 letters of the suburb's name making up Don.

Now the operation is mainly in Castlemaine,Vic with i believe up to 1800 employees.

The major problem in Australia is real estate expense.
If people weren't forced to spend every penny paying off a million dollar shit box (price bubble sponsored by the Coalition) they could afford to invest in other things and pay a reasonable price for food.

The major problem in Australia is real estate expense..

I've long felt that we've been enjoying a standard of living in this country to which we weren't quite entitled. That is, paying ourselves too much for what we put in, in comparison with the rest of the world with whom we trade. And we've got used to it! Now, the hard economics are hitting home.

Cheaper to import cars than pay the high wages we demand to make them here. We used to make tv sets, and radios, etc, here, but no longer viable to do that. Reduce our working hours, have more holidays, take sickies at will, demand even higher wages, etc - blind Freddy could see that this is an unsustainable situation.

Now, we amuse ourselves with SSM debates, citizenship squabbles, change the flag, become a republic, and any other non-productive pastime short of actually working smarter and/or harder.

Clever, clever country...

the idea was fine, it was the implimentation that sucked, it beggers beleif that they couldn't turn a profit selling hardware, mostly non perishable goods at huge markups.
I liked Masters but the problem was they couldn't decide whether it was a hardware store, a Spotlight or a Good Guys minus the Televisions. So it fell between several stools. The plants section was crap compared to Bunnings, the fridges and washing machines were ok (bought my washing machine there) but they didn't offer any real advantages over going to Good Guys or Bing Lee in NSW who would deliver. The arts and crafts section again was reasonable but again nothing that you couldn't find at Officeworks or Spotlight.
I'm hanging out for the Masters site at Lismore to be turned into a homebase type outlet with BCF and JB HIFI going in there. Especially JB so we can tell HN (Gollum's grandad) to get stuffed.

I've long felt that we've been enjoying a standard of living in this country to which we weren't quite entitled. That is, paying ourselves too much for what we put in, in comparison with the rest of the world with whom we trade. And we've got used to it! Now, the hard economics are hitting home.

Cheaper to import cars than pay the high wages we demand to make them here. We used to make tv sets, and radios, etc, here, but no longer viable to do that. Reduce our working hours, have more holidays, take sickies at will, demand even higher wages, etc - blind Freddy could see that this is an unsustainable situation.

Now, we amuse ourselves with SSM debates, citizenship squabbles, change the flag, become a republic, and any other non-productive pastime short of actually working smarter and/or harder.

Clever, clever country...
correct.
Why is it that on my drive to work every car I pass is a swanky new model. Where is the money coming from? Industry? Products made locally?

No. Rents.

We are a Vampire nation, sucking on the blood of our fellow man.
It's disgusting.

Real estate expense... of having 8 supermarkets in a 2km radius perhaps, council's charging rates on every car park then paying 10x the cost of simple constructions, $2m for a a few km of bike path near here. Or pet barn with one massive shop in every second suburb. Or why every local hardware shop has closed except bunnings and now it's a 50 minute round trip to get to one.

For housing, in rough numbers for the sake of the argument you can break up the demographics into 1/3rds, outright owners, morgagee's and renters. Many of the 1/3rd with mortgages don't even have crazy debt, so not sure how you can pin it all on real estate. Plenty of houses under $400k in Brisbane, on train lines even. Priorities.

It's easy to blame the coalition but it's intellectual laziness coming to such a simple conclusion. Oh yea but I don't vote for them so I'm not part of the problem, that moral high ground might give you some warm and fuzzies but it's bs.

Meanwhile QLD rail have to pay bonuses to get drivers to turn up during the commonwealth games, can't hire drivers that haven't already been in the union, and the CMFEU do their part for the costs of property and doing business in Australia by having 26 "RDO'S" a year but they are not tied to overtime. Tell me again why stuff is so expensive and why all those jobs went overseas. Unions do their part too, no need to single out whatever political party you don't align with as the cause to the costs of living.

correct.
Why is it that on my drive to work every car I pass is a swanky new model. Where is the money coming from? Industry? Products made locally?

No. Rents.
I see it every week, apprentices rocking up to training in their $50K utes. What happened to buying a shitbox as your first car? My first car (bought for $200 at 15) was a 1962 XK Falcon that I completely stripped, repainted inside and out (with a little beaver), changed engine and gearbox and had it roadworthy and registered by the time I was 17. Then sold that for $400 and upgraded to a newer model 1964 EH ute, which was traded in for a 1979 XD 351 FMX ex highway pursuit, to save my licence I then bought a bongo van for driving to work, which was traded for a 1966 HR Ute.

Latest posts

Back