Extract Hop Addition Query

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete2501

Reaction score
Hey chaps,

I'm interested in the effect of adding the last of my extra @ the 15min mark and how this impacts hop efficiency. One because the SG is so high I'll hardly get any bitterness from late additions. And two that adding the last of the extract stops the rolling boil.

I left my brew to go another 10mins last night.

Do other extract brewers do something different? I was thinking the extract wouldn't need to be boiled but do so anyway. Before adding hops I wait for a hot break after adding the correct amount of extract. This is somy SG is 1.040 in the pot. After adding all the other extract though this goes through the roof because I'm using a smaller pot (12L brim).

Thoughts, rants etc etc. :icon_cheers:

Funny you should mention adding more extract kills your boil. I haven't had a problem with this until my most recent brew, but I figured it was because I was doing a double batch and had a truckload more extract that normal. (I do 10L boils btw).

I don't think there's any reason why the extract needs to be added during the boil, save for convience of the fact you already have wort at a temp that's going to dissolve it fast. I'd suggest dissolving the remaining extract in something else, then adding it all together in the fermenter. On the weekend, I finished up and realised I had 500g of LDME in a container I'd forgotten about, so I boiled up the kettle, added water and stirred it til it was dissolved, then just tipped it in. I figure next time I do a double, I'll do something similar to prevent killing my boil at the end.

I do 10L boils too and I've never found that adding the rest of the fermentables kills my boil.

I add enough malt to get to ~1.040 and then throw the rest in with only 5 minutes to go. I figure the five minutes of boil and then the cool down time is enough to pasteurise the rest of my ingredients, and I seldomly have hop additions after the 5 minute mark, so I don't worry too much about effecting the hop utilisation.

Back