Extract Brands

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloud Surfer

Reaction score
Are some extract brands better than others? Interestingly the LHBS said the Coopers stuff was at the bottom end of the quality scale. I did notice there were many brands that were more expensive than Coopers, and maybe that’s a quality indicator.

the best extract is the one with the longest use by date (from today). never buy from the 'approaching use by date' special bin. been there, suckered in. stale cack, and just to make sure, i did it twice. kit beer ages and deteriorates, and taste is stale, tinny, slightly acrid off. or you could try one and see. you'll never do it again Lol. you'll never be able to share it with your mates, you'll have to drink it all yourself. as punishment.
more expensive than coopers - quality?? not necessarily. maybe more expensive specialty malts in there. i think i liked a morgans bock(???) which was a cut above, but that's my tastebuds, too.
i suggest that whatever you buy (coopers, morgans bock included) is to incorporate some steeping hops in (reams of stuff here on that, i'm sure). you don't need much, it'll get you researching hops, and it certainly lifts a kit brew for flavour. steeping some crystal grain (aka caramel grain) is another good flavour and stability boost. maybe 30gm, if i remember, and you do that while you're bringing the wort to boil, then add the steep in for the last few minutes of boil for flavour.
if you do the hops and grain steep, you'll make anything in a kit taste a lot more sophisticated, and it puts you on an 'ingredients and styles' learning curve. you won't learn much about ingredients and styles by tipping a can into a pot.
but rule #1 is always tip the can over and check the use by date.

Last edited:
Find a better HBS, one who know what he is talking about.
Coopers are the biggest LME maker in the world, they make a quality product that is sold all over the planet. They also own Morgan's and Morgan's is made with Coopers malt. The Coopers DME is I believe dried off site but all the rest come out of the works in Adelaide (biggest heat exchanger I have ever seen in the LME room)
Black Rock from NZ is excellent particularly for Lagers (personal opinion). I suspect most of the Mangrove Jacks products are made with Black Rock
Breiss is fairly available, not bad some unique products, good packaging.
Muntons is excellent, best for UK ales, Muntons Dry Malts are lovely but expensive.
Most of the bulk Light and Dark Dry Malt Extract is Wander from Switzerland, OK but I suspect its really specified for baking rather than brewing (most of the malt extract used goes in to baking and confectionery not beer). Good value for money, not too bad but you can get better.

There is at least one baking extract (hesitate to call it "malt" as it was made mostly from raw grain and enzyme preparations not malt) that was made by Nabisco here in Australia, it was 40% (or more) rice, not really all that good for brewing, but kept turning up because it was very well priced.
There are also some real crap baking brands that turn up from time to time (made in Asia) intended for baking but again well priced so people flog them.

Best is to try the products from the reputable makers and see which you like. All of the above have their place and it really will depend on personal taste to a large extent.
Mark

Nice, hadn’t thought to check the use by dates. Good tip.

I started out with steeping grains and adding hops on my first go, so I’ve been learning a lot. My first home brew was a Belgium Triple and it’s only just finished carbonation. Curiosity get the better of me and I cracked a bottle last night. I can’t believe how good it was already considering it’s so young and I made all sorts of recipe mistakes putting it together. I re-made it today and can tell already it’s going to be even better.

Nice, hadn’t thought to check the use by dates. Good tip.

I started out with steeping grains and adding hops on my first go, so I’ve been learning a lot. My first home brew was a Belgium Triple and it’s only just finished carbonation. Curiosity get the better of me and I cracked a bottle last night. I can’t believe how good it was already considering it’s so young and I made all sorts of recipe mistakes putting it together. I re-made it today and can tell already it’s going to be even better.
that's so sad. now you are going to waste the next 83 years trying to make the perfect brew. we are all on the quest, none of us will succeed.

Latest posts

Back