Expiry Dates

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenos

Reaction score
I have a few cartons of beer that is past its expiry date by 1-3 months, Stella, Pilsner Urquell, Asahi, Heinekin. is this going to effect it adversely?

I have just had one of the Stella's and it seems fine, better have another to make sure

No, they become highly toxic and you will die an agonising death.

You need to find someone with the appropriate disposal license.

Fortunately I have one, if you arrange the freight I'll do it for you gratis.

How can u possibly have 4 slabs of beers thats expired? and not just 4 slabs, but 4 slabs of decent beer...

i am with wortgames i have a disposal licence as well send 1/2 to him and 1/2 to me . we will dispose of them correctly .

del

I have a few cartons of beer that is past its expiry date by 1-3 months, Stella, Pilsner Urquell, Asahi, Heinekin. is this going to effect it adversely?

I have just had one of the Stella's and it seems fine, better have another to make sure

Mate, beer coming up to expiry and past expiry is fine. Hell Im always on the look out at my locals cause they are dumb. they keep buying in Kronenberg 1664 and they cant sell it. so I wait until its near expiry and instead of selling it at $60 or $70 slab I pick it up for $38. if theres one thing better than good beer, its cheap good beer

but then again WortGames has the right idea, maybe you should send some of it our way and we can test it for you :p

I tried a Beez Neex a while back that was 14months past its use by date..... let's just say that it didn;t age very well at all....

I tried a Beez Neex a while back that was 14months past its use by date..... let's just say that it didn;t age very well at all....

ok well i wasnt advocating drinking stuff that old. but a couple of months is ok. besides Beez neez tastes sort of like its off anyway (well to me it does - but its still drinkable).

I have them because they are stock from my business, we expected a few more sales at Christmas then we got. I have only just got around to sorting through it all.

Fortunately for me, my liquor permit includes a disposal permit, so I wont need to send you any.

It was more out of curiousity as to wether the flavour would be affected, the few I had last night went down just fine.

Definition from the Food Standards website-

What is a best-before date?
A best-before date is the last date on which a food can be expected to retain all of its quality attributes, provided that it has been stored in accordance with any stated storage conditions.
Quality attributes include things such as colour, taste, texture and flavour, as well as any specific qualities for which express or implied claims have been made. For example, the freshness of the food or certain vitamin levels.
A food that has passed its best-before date may still be perfectly safe to consume, but its quality may have diminished.
Food date-marked with a best-before date can be sold after this date, provided the food is not damaged, deteriorated or perished. It is an offence under New Zealand and Australian State and Territory Food Acts to sell food that is damaged, deteriorated or perished at any time, regardless of whether the food is within its specified date mark or not.

Consumable products have two types of expiry date formats, Use by for products that could become nasty after the date or Best before for products that are still OK after the date become stale for example. Here is a link http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/_srcfiles/...=%22use%20by%22

...provided that it has been stored in accordance with any stated storage conditions.
I think storage would be the main factor - if it's been stored cool and dark then you could probably safely extend the 'best before' date by a few months. If it has been stored warm and bright then you probably ought to get through it quickly, or sell it off at a reduced price maybe?

Stored in a garage below 18C, in a dark corner, some of it still sealed in the carton. So it is safe, I would prefer to sell some of it at least but don't have a suitable outlet.

if your that keen to get rid of it have a bit of a party , wont last long with half a dozen beer drinkers about , slap a few snags and chops on the BBQ and the jobs done

Either that or have a beer appreciation afternoon at your workplace and write the lot off on tax.

Latest posts

Back