Equilibrium Hotel - Sydney

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PostModern said:
It was a great venue to roll into after lunch when we had the place almost to ourselves but I think the cellarman needs to get into his suppliers about consistency.
I reckon it'd be more a function of having too many beers on tap. The less popular must sit in the keg for months, and I don't even want to think about how long the least popular ones sit in the lines for. Apparently this is an issue with a lot of the American taphouses with 100+ taps.

I'm sure some kegs will go stale with time but as its a pretty new place I got in early before this could happen.

mikem108 said:
I'm sure some kegs will go stale with time but as its a pretty new place I got in early before this could happen.
Ah, yeah. Didn't think of that.
It could still have spoiled in the lines I suppose, but they should be real clean too if the place is brand new.

Finally got down there today. Will be easier to get to now that I'm working across the road for a few months.
Had the LCPA, Grimbergen Blonde and Chimay and all were great. LCPA doesn't taste anywhere near as hoppy as it used to that proves that I've definitely gone through a Lupulin Threshold Shift :p

Doc

I went there last week... very dissappointed! 65 taps or which at least 60 were crap. The beer gets a very brief mention after everything else in the menu. Staff also seem very disintersested in the beer. I ordered a Hunter Kolsch ( a beer I like and am familiar with)... it was infected. I walked out. I have been told that they have very long beer lines, which is never a good thing. Perhaps they should look at halving their selection and thinking it through a little better.

I have been told that they have very long beer lines, which is never a good thing. Perhaps they should look at halving their selection and thinking it through a little better.

I wouldn't think their beer lines would be all that long as you can see the coolroom and kegs behind the bar, so the run to the taps is rather short.
Great to see the full Malt Shovel range, Little Creatures, Snowy Mountains (Crackenback) range, and a couple of belgians on tap. The full selection from Tooheys and Lion Nathan is a bit much. Would be great to see Mountain Goat, Gulf Brewery, and other select micros on tap.

Doc

I have been told that they have very long beer lines, which is never a good thing. Perhaps they should look at halving their selection and thinking it through a little better.

I wouldn't think their beer lines would be all that long as you can see the coolroom and kegs behind the bar, so the run to the taps is rather short.
Doc

I may be wrong but, from what I am led to believe that coolroom only serves a few of the taps. The others come from a coolroom down below.
This is second-hand info but came to me from two different industry sources, one of whom held major concerns about the set-up.

But ..... like I said in the first line...

Such a good chance to make a decent bar, but like most bars in sydney, this one fell way off the mark. When i ordered 4 beers i could have sworn the guy asked me for $46!!! :angry: Only paid $26 (probably just a big misunderstanding, or is that the price they can get away with nowadays?) but i'd rather make and drink 2 batches of nice homebrew than put up with stuffy attitudes and, to be honest, crap beer selection. 52 taps of which about 20 are the same beers just on different sides of the wall. Seeing stuff like Grimbergen and the St Arnou range is good, but not worth the hassle. I love the wind tunnel courtyard too, great fun!

Not something i'd put myself through again, if you made it your regular haunt you would in no time have spent enough money to buy your own keg system...

Funnily enough i dropped in there last night when walking past (had just been to see Borat), only stayed for 2. My mate grabbed us a Roger's... then i went to grab 2 LCPA, but the yound lass obviously didnt know what i was talking about, as she walked around the corner, she came back and said its out. Pretty sure she just couldnt find it. Grabbed 2 Boddingtons.
The glasses are quite different, they have a weird ridge halfway down which gives your beer this funny look, like it is two differing densities.

Think i payed about $6.50 each, for the boddington's.

:angry: The beer selection here has gone seroiusly downhill, only about half the taps have beer flowing through them, many of the best ones are gone. Slipped out of the Metro ($6.50/can of VB) to down a couple of decent beers on fridaY night only to be disappointed, had to look really hard but found Crakenback amoungst the swill.

:angry: The beer selection here has gone seroiusly downhill, only about half the taps have beer flowing through them, many of the best ones are gone. Slipped out of the Metro ($6.50/can of VB) to down a couple of decent beers on fridaY night only to be disappointed, had to look really hard but found Crakenback amoungst the swill.
I'd have to agree with you there. Last time I was there, about a month ago, they had the best part of a dozen taps blanked out, some of which i'm pretty sure were the Little Creatures taps, which is also disappointing cause I do love a LCPA if theres nothing else on offer.

oh.. thats sad.. if only because it looks to people that you cant have a diverse selection of beers and be financialy successful. when i went there last year with a group i had more than a few chimays on a very quiet afternoon and i quizzed a few staff about their range of beers and apart from the usual.. "lcpa pilsener? tastes like watered down carlton draught etc" comments i only discovered a profound lack of interest.
i later had the misfortune to swing past with my mrs one night and it was salsa night! the place was packed out with tools trying to outdo each other in open shirt fashion stakes and how many twirls they could do. my mrs loved it but NONE of the people there were even the slightest bit interested in drinking. it would have ruined their perfectly planned coordination.
very strange marketing and to be honest im not too surprised that they have come into cash flow probs. i will have a drink to mourn their passing!! :D :beer:

I went to Eq. on Christmas Eve, first time in a long time, and was shocked.
Half the taps were missing!!! The only imported stuff was the usual Euroswill, and Guinness/Kilkenny.
I mean, there was the Leffe Blonde label in front of me, but with no tap attached... aaargh!!!

The local range were missing a few as well. Including LCPA!
There were still a few Crackenbacks & Barons, and if you're after megaswill, you'll be fine.

The bargirl was missing her smile as well... nooo. When I asked where the hell are the beers, she just said something about having more in the new year.... bit of a dumb time to run out of prime beers though.

Me thinks it's going downhill.

Maybe we should all pitch in and buy it. We could all have a tap each for our finest homebrew

Kabooby :rolleyes:

Haven't been here for a while, but walked past it at lunch. It's changed it's name to World Square Pub.
Half the taps are still empty. What's still there is Monteiths, Barons, Bluetongue, maybe a couple of others and the usual mega/euroswill.

A shadow of it's former self.

Haven't been here for a while, but walked past it at lunch. It's changed it's name to World Square Pub.
Half the taps are still empty. What's still there is Monteiths, Barons, Bluetongue, maybe a couple of others and the usual mega/euroswill.

A shadow of it's former self.

And as one passes a new one rises to take it's place.....

http://www.thelocal.com.au/theLocalSydney.html

Must be slow going at the EQ or World trade place.
6 months ago they had sweet FA to drink and the offering while PP was here only 1/2 was ok.
The second half i drank tghat is LOL
16 beer later..... :party:

I spotted the name change this week too.
Must be a sign, try and rebrand and win back some customers :p

Doc

Latest posts

Back