Epsom Salts/Magnesium Sulphate from Woolies

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used it a couple of times, didn't kill me. I stopped using it as I no longer bother with water additions.

Is also good for a mineral bath if you have sore joints.

tavas said:
I've used it a couple of times, didn't kill me. I stopped using it as I no longer bother with water additions.

Is also good for a mineral bath if you have sore joints.
I put all my local water info into the water calculator in Beersmith and to create a Burton water profile, it suggests 11g of Epsom Salts etc. It's something I thought I'd have a bit of an experiment with and, as you say, if it feels like an effort for little reward, there is always my sore joints.

Yep. Its perfect for Burtonising water. Dont over do though.....you might need shared in sorbent

The Aldi version is the only one I ever use for brewing, the Woolies product is probably made in the same plant.

It's fine but I question the need to add extra magnesium to an all malt brew or to replicate an alleged water profile from an unknown point in history.

Hi Welly,

To burtonize the water is one thing, but to make the water like burton on trent....thats extreme additions.

Randy Mosher took the Burton on Trent ppm data and dialled it back to be more suitable for modern brewing of IPA's

Calcium - 140ppm
Magnesium - 18ppm
Sodium - 25ppm
Sulphate - 300ppm
Chloride - 55ppm
Bicarbonate - 110ppm
total hardness - 424
Alkalinity ppm - 91
RA - is minus 20

Is that what your trying to achieve?

Yep, works well if you want some sulphates (for hop goodness) without the calcium (eg an IPA with my local water).

Allegedly 90 ppm. But from experience I believe it's far more than this by the time it reaches me as I've had pH issues with pale beers unless I dose some baking powder etc as per my estimate of Ca(~120ppm). Only about 30 ppm sulphates.

But then again I was always fond of chemistry and it makes it more fun.

EDIT: Yep needed to re read that lol

Pratty1 said:
Hi Welly,

To burtonize the water is one thing, but to make the water like burton on trent....thats extreme additions.

Randy Mosher took the Burton on Trent ppm data and dialled it back to be more suitable for modern brewing of IPA's

Calcium - 140ppm
Magnesium - 18ppm
Sodium - 25ppm
Sulphate - 300ppm
Chloride - 55ppm
Bicarbonate - 110ppm
total hardness - 424
Alkalinity ppm - 91
RA - is minus 20

Is that what your trying to achieve?
According to beersmith:

Calcium: 299.91 ppm
Sulfate: 722.95 ppm
Magnesium: 53.09 ppm
Chloride: 27.90 ppm
Sodium: 63.66 ppm
Bicarbonate: 296.72 ppm
PH: 7.00

Now I don't know where they got their numbers from but I'll look them up. I'm going this literally as experimentation as opposed to something I'll put regularly in my brewing schedule. It's a curiosity thing more than anything. I'm planning on spending a bit of time making English bitters and so interested in making some Burton style bitters - Pedigree, 6X etc. as well as making water adjustments to make Yorkshire bitters. I'm just dabbling!

So what has the brewer done to this water profile to get it in the ballpark ?

You don't know so that's why its not a good thing to follow water profiles from around the world
but thats my take on it I could be wrong definately not a gun on water chem

I've been treading lightly doing Brun yellow full balanced & dry but must have a go at his pale ale profile

I like Ducatiboystu's advice for too much mg buy shares in sorbent :lol:

rude said:
I like Ducatiboystu's advice for too much mg buy shares in sorbent :lol:
You will thank me for it :D

I did an ESB with Gypsum & Epsom salts. You could certainly taste the minerals in the beer, was actually rather nice....

Ducatiboy stu said:
You will thank me for it :D

I did an ESB with Gypsum & Epsom salts. You could certainly taste the minerals in the beer, was actually rather nice....
Traditionally, the distinctive mineral "nose" on Burton beers is called "The Burton Snatch".

Of course somewhat different connotations nowadays as I said to my Aunt Fanny.

Bribie G said:
Traditionally, the distinctive mineral "nose" on Burton beers is called "The Burton Snatch".

Of course somewhat different connotations nowadays as I said to my Aunt Fanny.
Not exactly the bouquet I'd be looking for in my beer...

Magnesium oxide can that be used have seen that it can be used in plants to supply Magnesium without the sulphate and is used as a supplement for horses.

Back