Epic Pale Ale Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I felt the same as Sinkas. I wonder if it comes down to yeast selection and management?

Just to make sure, the cascade is US, not NZ and the yeast is 1272.

I'm guessing the Impish Brewer just knows how to get what he wants out of both, it's a cracker off the tap!

Just to make sure, the cascade is US, not NZ and the yeast is 1272.

I'm guessing the Impish Brewer just knows how to get what he wants out of both, it's a cracker off the tap!

Yeah, if memory serves me correct he doesn't use any NZ hops? Sort of ironic given Sierra Nevada and to a lesser degree Alpine and possibly others in the US are using NZ hops a fair bit.

This is the final recipe I'll be brewing up this weekend. I've adjusted it a bit to match my efficiency's, and to suit the Cascade hops at Grain and Grape at the moment (7.8%AA!). Thought I might put it up just in case anyone out there wanted to brew this one up themselfs. Thanks for all the help everyone! Prost! :icon_cheers:

Epic Pale Ale Clone
10-A American Pale Ale
Author: DB

Size: 23.0 L
Efficiency: 75%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 182.68 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.055 (1.045 - 1.060)
Terminal Gravity: 1.014 (1.010 - 1.015)
Color: 11.63 (5.0 - 14.0)
Alcohol: 5.4% (4.5% - 6.2%)
Bitterness: 44.1 (30.0 - 45.0)

Ingredients:
5.3 kg Golden Promise Malt
0.4 kg Crystal Malt
30.0 g Cascade (7.8%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
50.0 g Cascade (7.8%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
50.0 g Cascade (7.8%) - added during boil, boiled 1 min
100.0 g Cascade (7.8%) - dry hop in secondary
0.5 tsp Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 5 min
0.0 ea WYeast 1272 American Ale II

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 F
Source Water: 60.0 F
Elevation: 0.0 m

00:03:00 Mash In - Liquor: 14.35 L; Strike: 75.46 C; Target: 68 C
01:03:00 Rest - Rest: 60 min; Final: 67.0 C
01:04:00 Infusion Step - Water: 3.6 L; Temperature: 99.7 C; Target: 72 C
02:04:00 Fly Sparge - Sparge Volume: 23.78 L; Sparge Temperature: 75.0 C; Runoff: 23.81 L

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.7

Doog

Yes all US Cascade, go crazy on the dry hopping

Final gravity should be around 1.011

Cheers
Luke

Cheers Epicbeer,

Will be brewing this in the next few days. :beerbang:

Cheers SJ

Doog

Yes all US Cascade, go crazy on the dry hopping

Final gravity should be around 1.011

Cheers
Luke

Luke,

Cheers mate. Didn't know you where member! Love your work. Thanks for the advise.

Is that a hint to use more in dry hopping? I don't think I dare use more than 100g, I normally think 20g is too much.

Hey Doog,
How'd you get on with this brew? Would love to give it a crack myself so very interested. Love the Epic beers but $15 for a 500ml (from memory) is a little steep for me.
Please don't be one of those who never gets back on how it turns out.
Cheers

Hey Doog,
How'd you get on with this brew? Would love to give it a crack myself so very interested. Love the Epic beers but $15 for a 500ml (from memory) is a little steep for me.
Please don't be one of those who never gets back on how it turns out.
Cheers

Just put it in the keg today. Tasted pretty good out of the fermenter. Extreme hop flavour and aroma. The malty base seemed to balance out quite well with the intense hopyness. It did taste pretty grassy, so I think I may have had the dry hops in for too long (9days). If I was going to do it again, I would rack to secondary and add the dry hops in the last 3 days or so, that and maybe use less hops. To personal taste I think a different hop could be used in the secondary also, this might result in a beer not necessarily a clone, but that doesn't bother me, as long as it tastes good!

I'm going to let it condition for a few weeks, in the hope that the grassy flavours might mellow out a bit. I'll let you know how it goes after that!

Just cracked open the first bottle tonight after 10 days in secondary and around 10 days in the bottle. SLAP. (That the hops hitting me in the face) YUM! This beer is really nice. It has a nice citrusy aroma, with a fare bit of a candy like, or sweet biscuty aroma too (assuming this is coming from the malt), hops flavour is amazing but surprisingly not to overpowering. The mateyness is about spot on, quite English Ale tasting, and balances out the hop bitterness very well. I don't have a bottle of Epic Pale Ale to compare, but I'm not too worried about getting it spot on, just getting a great result. The main pitfall is I still taste a bit of grassiness due to the fact that I left the hops in the secondary a little too long. I would recommend no longer than 4 days in secondary.

Anyway, anyone who likes this beer I strongly recommend you gives the recipe a go, a fantastic swill. I'll be taping the keg very soon!

Cheers.

Just noticed that Tasty McDole of the Brewing Network currently has a clone attmempt of this fermenting, so I guess there will be a Can you Brew it episode for this beeer some time soon.

I bottled my version last week.

100% Marris Otter , but I used Magnum for bittering (coz I had heaps) and bucket loads of cascade, late additions, NC additions and huge dry hops.
It tasted great at bottling... the MO malt profile seems to work with cascade to my surprise!

I'll let you know once it's carbed up.

Brewing Nework will be cloning Epic Pale Ale in theit next CYBI show - Monday Aug 16 1800 PST - which I think is 11am, Tuesday Aug 17 in Sydney. I'm sure the podcast will be available to download shortly after.

1052 SG -23litres

Golden promise 4.36kg
550grams Crystal 15
180grams - Carapils
360grams -Crystal 20

64-65 degrees Mash

Wyeast 1272 Pitch at 18 let warm to 21 degrees and hold

1011 FG

US Cascade
7g 75m
14g 30m
34g10m
43g 0m
50g dry hop primary (couple days before finishing)
50g dry hop secondry or keg at 4degrees

US Cascade
7g 75m
14g 30m
34g10m
43g 0m
Do you recall the %AA of the Cascade?

There can be quite a discrepancy in Alpha acid content between harvests and regions, and this could make a large impact on the bitterness of the final beer, especially with that relatively small 75 minute addition.

I know I could always download and listen to it myself, but I want to bookmark this thread for later reference.

1052 SG -23litres

Golden promise 4.36kg
550grams Crystal 15
180grams - Carapils
360grams -Crystal 20

64-65 degrees Mash

Wyeast 1272 Pitch at 18 let warm to 21 degrees and hold

1011 FG

US Cascade
7g 75m
14g 30m
34g10m
43g 0m

Hi Brycey

Just been listening to the podcast. They mentioned another addition of 42.5g of Cascade after the whirlpool. Did you miss this by accident or did you leave it out intentionally (i.e. you don't whirlpool yourself etc)?

Back