EOI Brew Wash Powder

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im keen for 5kg. I love perc for heaps of stuff but sometimes you want a bit of extra cleaning power. For cleaning Chinese kegs that you got from a bulk buy for example.

Edit: being able to store it long term would be nice though.

Mardoo said:
The brew wash that BB made in this buy started reacting. He vacuum sealed the kilos and within a few weeks they were all blown up like balloons. It didn't seem to reduce the activity in his wash as much as it did when I premixed sodium percarbonate and sodium metasilicate. By activity, I mean the apparent amount of gas generated by the mixture when added to water. I have no means of measuring "activity" other than observation.
I lost 5 odd kilos of perc and met once. I was sitting there on a hot night and I could here a bubbling sound. Felt the side of my bucket it was so hot I couldn't touch it. Managed to get it outside and took the lid off and attacked it with the hose. It instantly boiled on contact. It took a long time to dissolve. It was fun tho but I don't mix it anymore.
It was 40°+ day that set it off I reckon. Glad I was in the shed that day and heard it tho.

Personally I would be more into the perc or the perborate on its own they have more than enough cleaning power, I am not sure why the met is added except for the fact that if you live in an area where the water is hard, it lowers the pH and maybe a bit more oomph but it is a powerful cleaning agent on its own, I do think they do put acetic acid in for driveways and roofs.

Hmmm. I didn't know about the potential for an exothermic reaction in a percarbonate + metasilicate mix. Seems like long term storage of 10kg could be problematic or even dangerous. Maybe it would be better to get the individual components separately and mix at use time. The last thing I want is a chemical fire in the house.

Mardoo said:
You don't want to pre-mix your perc and metasilicate. It starts reacting. No idea how 5-star keep PBW from reacting.
i found this out recently too, apparently there are 2 types of metasillicate 1 that has moisture in it and one that's dry, you need the dry one, I bought some brew wash from the local chemical joint and they used the wrong one and it burst the top of the bucket and spewed out all over the garage floor, what ever was left in the bucket was rock hard!

I would be keen for 10kgs of whatever we decide is best, But my preference would be for pure perc....

If this gains some traction with the supplier, should we do it like this:

Brisbane:

Matplat - 10kgs

Said previously that the Metasilicate lowers pH actually it raises it giving more cleaning power to the perc, coinciding what Lethaldog suggests any moisture gets into the mix of the perc and met its goodnight Irene, he will mix whatever we want and it will be dry but it is in the splitting into smaller quantity bags moisture could get in.
Also a Starsan style no rinse can be made, so potential there. So all we have to do now is decide on what we want, I am happy with the Sodium Perc and I probably have a couple of years worth left.

Matplat said:
I would be keen for 10kgs of whatever we decide is best, But my preference would be for pure perc....

If this gains some traction with the supplier, should we do it like this:

Brisbane:

Matplat - 10kgs
Good idea

Brisbane:

Matplat - 10kgs
tj2204 - 10kg

I'm happy with straight perc. If metasilicate as well, I'll revisit my number, as long as it's not pre-mixed.

Brisbane:

Matplat - 10kgs
tj2204 - 10kg

Melbourne:

Pinch Harmonic - 10kg.

Removed my order from the list as I've been given another solution

Brisbane:
Matplat - 10kgs
tj2204 - 10kg

Melbourne:
Pinch Harmonic - 10kg.

Kingy said:
I lost 5 odd kilos of perc and met once. I was sitting there on a hot night and I could here a bubbling sound. Felt the side of my bucket it was so hot I couldn't touch it. Managed to get it outside and took the lid off and attacked it with the hose. It instantly boiled on contact. It took a long time to dissolve. It was fun tho but I don't mix it anymore.
It was 40°+ day that set it off I reckon. Glad I was in the shed that day and heard it tho.
If you stored that with some petrol or engine oil battery acid or acetone in a safe locked cupboard could take out the neighborhood.

Kingy said:
I used to work for a cementing company that used sodium metasilicate as an additive. It's treated as dangerous goods as can catch on fire when it gets wet.

I'd be keen for 5kg of 60% Sodium Percarbonate + 30% Sodium Metasilicate

Brisbane:
Matplat - 10kgs
tj2204 - 10kg

Melbourne:

Pinch Harmonic - 10kg.

Hobart
jbaker9 - 5kgs sodium perc / sodium meta

jbaker9 said:
I'd be keen for 5kg of 60% Sodium Percarbonate + 30% Sodium Metasilicate

Brisbane:

Matplat - 10kgs

tj2204 - 10kg

Melbourne:

Pinch Harmonic - 10kg.

Hobart

jbaker9 - 5kgs sodium perc / sodium meta
I placed an order as per recommendation from sixstar so no longer need bulk buy.

Cheers
James

jbaker9 said:
I placed an order as per recommendation from sixstar so no longer need bulk buy.

Cheers
James
Are you picking up, I read they don't ship out of Melbourne.
But it is the best option for those wanting both the perc and the met, just had a look where they are I have bought something off them before, can't for the life of me remember what it was.

wide eyed and legless said:
Are you picking up, I read they don't ship out of Melbourne.
But it is the best option for those wanting both the perc and the met, just had a look where they are I have bought something off them before, can't for the life of me remember what it was.
Delivered to my door in Tas for $15. They have an option deliver to depot $10, but it was more hassle for me than it's worth. They respond to website enquiries very quickly.

Yes I remember when I went there it is only a small place one young bloke seemed to be running it, and I can remember having to make an appointment to go down there, just wish I could remember what it was I bought, the phosphoric acid is cheap too.

Happy customer here!!!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1491380363.169235.jpg

Latest posts

Back