EOI Brew Wash Powder

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might be too, I have spoken to the supplier I got my Sodium Percarbonate from, he already makes a cleaning agent for the dairy and brewing industry, I have two different recipes for the PBW - app 60% Sodium percarbonate, app 30% Sodium Metasilicate, app 8% Sodium Carbonate.
The other recipe from a much earlier thread was 10-30 % Sodium Metasilicate, 24-40 % Sodium Percarbonate 3-8% Poly Alkyl Phosphonic acid surfactant
with a dash of Sodium Carbonate.
I will call in tomorrow and see what he has already made up as I really don't fancy making it up and I did ask if they could mix it but that would be putting the cost right up, and he did say that Sodium Perborate is a better option than Sodium Percarbonate.

wide eyed and legless said:
Might be too, I have spoken to the supplier I got my Sodium Percarbonate from, he already makes a cleaning agent for the dairy and brewing industry, I have two different recipes for the PBW - app 60% Sodium percarbonate, app 30% Sodium Metasilicate, app 8% Sodium Carbonate.
The other recipe from a much earlier thread was 10-30 % Sodium Metasilicate, 24-40 % Sodium Percarbonate 3-8% Poly Alkyl Phosphonic acid surfactant
with a dash of Sodium Carbonate.
I will call in tomorrow and see what he has already made up as I really don't fancy making it up and I did ask if they could mix it but that would be putting the cost right up, and he did say that Sodium Perborate is a better option than Sodium Percarbonate.
It might be we can sort a multi BB pick up, I was considering Running a Grain BB through CB, like last time, cleaner could possibly be picked up same time as grain. Yet to sort this with Martin, but as long as we don't create a migraine for him, things should go well :D.

Amber lubrication is also known to grease wheels.

I am happy for Martin to organise something, and I am happy to go to the supplier tomorrow and check out alternatives, I am sure Martin wouldn't like to be mixing and shaking chemicals. I have enough for myself as I bought a 25 kg 3 years ago so still plenty left.

Guys I really like where this is going!
Wide eyed, why not buy the cleaner from the supplier who makes it in bulk? Can we bulk buy from him? Surely his brewing cleaner would be spot on?

OK, Sodium Percarbonate is $2.70 / kg this is all I have used with no other additives the pan that Mardoo posted I have had them just as bad when my wife has stewed fruit in them with added sugar and burnt the pan the percarbonate will, with a short soak bring them back as new, apparently will work in cold water but heaps more effective in hot water. Environmentally friendly.
Oxy Bleach ( sodium Perborate) $3.75 / kg more stable but not as environmentally friendly, believe it breaks down into boron to much in the garden is toxic.
He will make up a recipe but will cost more to put through the blender and has to be a substantial amount to make it worth while, they do also make a beer line cleaner if anyone is interested in that, again I just use the percarbonate.
25 kilo bags and price includes gst.

Interesting. What is a substantial amount? I reckon we would probably have enough interest in 50-100kg if it can be shipped to various locations in 2, 5, and 10kg lots. If the formula and price were right, I'd be up for 10kg. I'd prefer a formulation with sodium percarbonate and sodium metasilicate, similar to what Boddingtons Best proposed originally.

I would be up for 10kg perc/meta mix.

I did read that in the post you made in Zorco's bulk buy so read up as much as I can understand, (wouldn't make a chemist's paperclip) in one of the wine maker's sanitary documents they did say not to mix them because the bacterial killing capabilities waned with Sodium metasilicate because bacteria can become immune to it, but because we usually use a no rinse sanitizer after cleaning and before use I don't think that would apply to us.
Also read it should always be used in correct dosage and no more than 52 C (sodium percarbonate) and sodium perborate 60 C, will find out some more about the substantial amount and costs for 100kg then will pass the baton over to someone who wants to organise it, the factory is in Rowville so could be the same one Bb went to.

The brew wash that BB made in this buy started reacting. He vacuum sealed the kilos and within a few weeks they were all blown up like balloons. It didn't seem to reduce the activity in his wash as much as it did when I premixed sodium percarbonate and sodium metasilicate. By activity, I mean the apparent amount of gas generated by the mixture when added to water. I have no means of measuring "activity" other than observation.

BTW, I didn't mean to slag off BB's efforts. I liked the stuff so much I used it in preference to my usual SP/SM blend. His blend seemed to leave things a noticeable bit cleaner than my blend.

Sodium Perc 100% is great on its own, never had any issues with it, awesome on any stainless, 30years brewing 1 infection.
Uses,
Cleaning all brew gear prior to sanitisation(starsan)
Soaking clothes
Dishwasher
Cleaning tiles
Bench tops
Washing hardwood deck before re staining

Why mix it???

Yeah I'd better get in on some too. 5kg sounds about right. Whatever mix is decided to be best.

Back