English Mild

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All ,
Here`s a nice Mild from Dutton`s of Blackburn , Lancashire .
It`s from 1967 and at only 3 % it`s one for quaffing !! ; and yes Wide Eyed , the temperature values are in that Metric thingy ;) !! .
Cheers & Happy Mashing ,
EDD

Hi All ,
I can confirm that there's only one of me ( unless my evil twin's escaped again ;) ) .
Cheers
Edd

Hi All ,
Here`s a nice Mild from Dutton`s of Blackburn , Lancashire .
It`s from 1967 and at only 3 % it`s one for quaffing !! ; and yes Wide Eyed , the temperature values are in that Metric thingy ;) !! .
Cheers & Happy Mashing ,
EDD
There seems to be 10.5 % of the good s missing?

The sugar is the 10.5% its written on the side.
upload_2018-3-28_10-20-1.png

36.5 + 36.5 = 73
+ 1.75 = 74.75
+ 3.5 = 78.25
+ 0.75 = 79
+ 5.25 = 84,25
+ 5.25 = 89.5

Is my maths right?

I don't think I missed anything

Not really a mild if it is at that ABV. Scaling up my Mild recipe it looks very much like a porter. Is that what you are aiming for or are you aiming for more a Southern / Northern english brown ale?

When mild ales were more ubiquitous on tap in English pubs, quite a few breweries did a "Best Mild" of higher abv. None posted abv in those days, but low to mid- four percent would be my guess.

The category has never to my knowledge made the BJCP list of styles.

Hi All ,
God knows what happened with the grist on that Dutton's mild , I'll re convert it and post again ,
Cheers
Edd

Hi All ,
As I said in the last post , god only knows what happened with the grist % of the Dutton`s Mild ! , a serious brain fart on this one as I was writing up the formulas for a couple of different breweries into my notebooks at the time ( from my rough workbook) , I can only imagine that I substituted the malt grist from another beer , profuse appologies for the cock up ; I`ve now corrected the mistakes by looking at the original brewing book entry for this beer and doing a fresh conversion !! .
Cheers
Edd

PS : Mental note to self , only write up one brewery at a time in future !!

Attachments

• DUTTON`S MILD 1967_1967.pdf
    37.8 KB · Views: 112
Mild is on the list, but Best Mild is not. It seems to be a outdated style, a bit like Northern Brown but with little roast.
Hi Yankinoz,
I've not got many post war Best Mild recipies, two in fact ; Richard Clarke & Co , Reddish Vale Brewery , Stockport 1/3 Best Mild from 1947-50 and
Tennant Brothers , Sheffield , Best Ale from the 1950's.
I've quite a few from the inter war period though, and they're not that different from the post war , maybe a few points higher in abv & gravity ,
Cheers
Edd

This is my partial mash London pride attempt, came out a treat at 4.2%.
IMG_0747.jpg

This was a bottle made from the balance of the brew that did not fit in the keg

The next picture is the same brew served via my beer engine with a sparkler, I like the cream style ales,

IMG_0743.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

Hi All ,
Here`s TWO milds for you to go at , both from Wilson`s Brewery , Newton Heath , Manchester from 1955 - 6 .
Cheers & Happy Mashing
Edd

Attachments

• WILSON`S XX 1955_1955.pdf
    36.9 KB · Views: 87
  • Wilson`s XXX 1956_1956.pdf
    37.3 KB · Views: 99
Back