English Bitter Failed To Carbonate In Bottles (pet)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathanR

Reaction score
I made an english bitter (coopers)

.5 malt
1kg dex
hop tea bag 10 min boil
ale yeast 06 i think

femented for 10 days

sg 1045 fg 1013

they have been down in the bottles for around 2-3 weeks so I thaught I would give them a try and there is no bubbles nothing

I checked to see if I just made a mistake and did not put any sugar in the bottle and it read 1020 on the hydro so i have put the drops in there

I used 2 carbonation drops per bottle the same way I have with every other brew

what has gone wrong it tastes great just no carbonation is there any way of fixing this ?

With carb drops, as they slowly dissolve, you can end up with a layer of 'syrup' on the bottom of the bottles that sends the yeast to sleep as it sinks to the bottom. Try giving them all a good shake and leave for another week and try one.

in the recent heat they should be well carbed?

i regulary open bottles after 4 days & it's carbed up. I don't even tip the bottles after capping.

Always have great heads & carbonation.

I'm not a fan of that Coopers English bitter kit though.... won't do it again.

in the recent heat they should be well carbed?

i regulary open bottles after 4 days & it's carbed up. I don't even tip the bottles after capping.

Always have great heads & carbonation.

I'm not a fan of that Coopers English bitter kit though.... won't do it again.

Why is that? I haven't tried it yet myself and was thinking of picking one up.

What temp have you stored them at? If it's too cold, the yeast won't do it's thing.

temp is about 25+ deg just in my computer room in boxes same as all my other beer

had no problems in the past with anything carbing up

Give them a shake every day to help rouse the yeast. After a few days of this you will hopefully find the bottles to be hard when you squeeze them (a definite benefit of PET over glass).

If this doesn't work, then maybe make a small starter of the yeast you are using and give each PET bottle a small amount of fresh yeast to work on the drops you have put into the bottles already.

cheers and good luck,

Crundle

In PET bottles i use sugar cubes as they give plenty of carbonation

Give them a good shake as BribieG said and have another go

Why is that? I haven't tried it yet myself and was thinking of picking one up.
I can't speak for him, but i really liked this kit. I expect to make something better now i'm into all-grain, but this was a nice drop to me!

how many sugar cubes do you use per bottle ?

thinking after this I might change my ways as some of my beers have been on the flatish side

Just one per bottle is all i tried two is was ok three no way! Fing thing was spewing for about 5 min im not waiting that long to get my beer into the stein

Back