Engel As Fermentation Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edschache

Reaction score
As it warms up it's becoming clear that I will need some form of cooling for my fermentation (have been relying on a stable temperature room so far). I currently have a pigeon pair fridge/freezer in the kitchen that are ear marked to be replaced by a single french door when I do the kitchen. The kitchen is a way off yet due to other reno's so for now I am hoping to use my Engel.

I was wondering if anyone has used one for fermenting and if so did they use a temperature controller or just find a decent setting. I know that running the Engel as a fridge while camping it'll fluctuate fairly minimally if it's not being opened. That said I will be looking at a temp controller eventually for the big fridge so wouldn't have a problem buying one if someone knows how best to set it up.

For chilling kegs I simply remove the lid and place an upside down styrofoam box over the top with holes cut out for the top of the kegs (lines up with where the rubber/metal meets at the top of a 19L). Planning on doing a similar cover for a fermenter.

Cheers,

Ed

p.s. in case anyone's interested - in normal use the Engel is awesome will freeze down to -25 and will run as a fridge for 4 days off a deep cycle. Great toy for those that enjoy being outdoors.

I've used my CF-80 Waeco in the past no dramas.
I actually replaced the waeco temp controller (I had the older LED type not the newer numerical display type) with a 12V version of the STC-1000.
Works a charm.
I can fit a 25L cube in my CF-80 I would assume unless you have a monster sized engel you might be struggling to get a bigger cube in though...

i went 1 step further and put a protective metal covering on the outside of the polystyrene - see here

All i can say is try not to use it for too long. A fridge mechanic advised me to not use your $1000 camping fridge at home all the time. It isn't really designed to run 24/7. You might as well buy a cheap fridge and preserve the life of the engel.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Drew9242: won't be running 24/7 only for fermenting and the occasional keg session. won't have permanent cool kegs until i get the big fridge out of the kitchen.

kymba: that's an awesome idea

Komodo: fairly sure my 30L round fermenter fits in mine, can't remember if it's a 60 or 80 - will have to double check.

Going to give it a shot with the existing temp controller and see what happens. Got an old tin and some US05 that's probably past it's prime so might put them in as a first test run.

Ed

I've used my CF-80 Waeco in the past no dramas.
I actually replaced the waeco temp controller (I had the older LED type not the newer numerical display type) with a 12V version of the STC-1000.
Works a charm.
I can fit a 25L cube in my CF-80 I would assume unless you have a monster sized engel you might be struggling to get a bigger cube in though...

I have one of these. When you say replaced your temp controller from the old led type do you mean where the temp setting is just in a line of leds? Where do you get the numerical display type from?

All i can say is try not to use it for too long. A fridge mechanic advised me to not use your $1000 camping fridge at home all the time. It isn't really designed to run 24/7. You might as well buy a cheap fridge and preserve the life of the engel.

Just for your feedback....I ran my (10 y/o) engel for the past 3 years straight up in north qld, it still doesn't miss a beat!

.....keep moving parts moving me thinks.

I used to run my 24/7 for about 2 years aswell. Still works a treat, but my mate has been a fridge mechanic for over 20 years. And he said that whenever he gets a portable fridge to fix the common problem is the pump. Which has been worked non stop. And like he said if you are just using it in your bar then you are throwing money away. The danfoss pump is designed take a beating but not to run 24/7. Just food for thought.

I used to run my 24/7 for about 2 years aswell. Still works a treat, but my mate has been a fridge mechanic for over 20 years. And he said that whenever he gets a portable fridge to fix the common problem is the pump. Which has been worked non stop. And like he said if you are just using it in your bar then you are throwing money away. The danfoss pump is designed take a beating but not to run 24/7. Just food for thought.

Engels dont run a Danfoss compressor, nor have they ever, (Waeco do ) Danfoss hermetic compressors are used in domestic and commercial fridges/freezers everywhere and considering how many are out there they are very reliable.

Engel manufacture there own motors and are also reliable, i have been a service agent for them for about 15 years, and sure we replace motors , but no more than any other fridges/brands out there. We have a old 29ltr Engel that we use in the workshop for after work drinks, it has been running 24/7 for the past 7 years and has never missed a beat, also it was about 10 years old when we first got it ! Think your Fridgie mate must be getting all the bad ones :) Go Figure :drinks:

To be fair while mine is only a few years old it has had a few "adventures" strapped to the back of my 4x4 Hilux so it's not in showroom condition. It's probably good for it to get a run every now and again so fermenting sound like a good excuse.

Riverside - do you know the best approach to fit a temp controller to one of these bad boys. I'll look up which model number it is when I get a chance. Is it possible to wire it downstream from whatever switches between 12/240V so that it will run with the temp controller on either power source? (wouldn't want my fermenter to be thrown off by a pesky black out).

sawafuji make the swing motor in the engels.
Danfoss make the bd30 and bd50 used in the waecos

Truman
as for the controller - if you pull out the grill over the compressor area there is a wiring diagram (from memory) in their that will tell you what does what. Pretty straight forward any way. I've completely bypassed the waeco circuit board (only issue is I dont have a low voltage cut out any more) and just use the STC-1000 which has a numerical display and is available deleivered for about $40 (or cheaper) on ebay. But you'll need a 12V one. Search aquarium temperature controller from memory.
The newer CF-80s have a digital numeric display temp controller. Actually I think the entire range has now. But the thermo couples give up the ghost all the time which is why waeco build the CF-80 with two (one as a spare) from factory. I've mounted the sensor for mine on the fridge side of the divider and placed a 40mm fan on both the fridge side and the freezer side to circuilate air which has made the fridge way more stable and more efficient. Im getting near 3 days from a 100ah battery (with the insulation bag) - now that im running 200ah of battery supply and 160watts of solar I basically never run out of cold! Coupled with a DC-DC charger running in the trailer connected to the vehicle with a 50amp anderson plug its sweet as. When I'm not away I have the batteries on a maintenance charger and the fridge running off a 240VAC-12VDC PSU. Pretty much runs 24/7. I bought it second hand 5 years ago and its not missed a beat and the guy I bought it off had it at least 3 years. My only gripe with it is that the lid and latch is a shit design. I keep meaning to make a fiberglasss replacement. One day...

To be fair while mine is only a few years old it has had a few "adventures" strapped to the back of my 4x4 Hilux so it's not in showroom condition. It's probably good for it to get a run every now and again so fermenting sound like a good excuse.

Riverside - do you know the best approach to fit a temp controller to one of these bad boys. I'll look up which model number it is when I get a chance. Is it possible to wire it downstream from whatever switches between 12/240V so that it will run with the temp controller on either power source? (wouldn't want my fermenter to be thrown off by a pesky black out).

If your thinking of playing around with the electronics (on the engel?) I'd be fairly careful....in fact i'd be bloody nervous. As "riverside" would know being a service agent, if you damage the controller unit....don't expect much change out of $400 for a new one! :blink:

sawafuji make the swing motor in the engels.
Danfoss make the bd30 and bd50 used in the waecos

Truman
as for the controller - if you pull out the grill over the compressor area there is a wiring diagram (from memory) in their that will tell you what does what. Pretty straight forward any way. I've completely bypassed the waeco circuit board (only issue is I dont have a low voltage cut out any more) and just use the STC-1000 which has a numerical display and is available deleivered for about $40 (or cheaper) on ebay. But you'll need a 12V one. Search aquarium temperature controller from memory.
The newer CF-80s have a digital numeric display temp controller. Actually I think the entire range has now. But the thermo couples give up the ghost all the time which is why waeco build the CF-80 with two (one as a spare) from factory. I've mounted the sensor for mine on the fridge side of the divider and placed a 40mm fan on both the fridge side and the freezer side to circuilate air which has made the fridge way more stable and more efficient. Im getting near 3 days from a 100ah battery (with the insulation bag) - now that im running 200ah of battery supply and 160watts of solar I basically never run out of cold! Coupled with a DC-DC charger running in the trailer connected to the vehicle with a 50amp anderson plug its sweet as. When I'm not away I have the batteries on a maintenance charger and the fridge running off a 240VAC-12VDC PSU. Pretty much runs 24/7. I bought it second hand 5 years ago and its not missed a beat and the guy I bought it off had it at least 3 years. My only gripe with it is that the lid and latch is a shit design. I keep meaning to make a fiberglasss replacement. One day...

Ive just ordered a STC-1000 for a brew fridge so will order another one. I would much prefer to know what temp my fridge is running at than taking a guess.
So with the sensor did you just glue it to the fridge wall?
What type of fans did you use?

Ive used my Waeco in late October camping at Myroodah crossing which is on the Fitzroy river in the Kimberley region, with day temps at 40C and it handled well for four days with car battery, secondary and a little generator to recharge the batterys and run a fan in the tent to keep us cool at night.
I lived in broome for 18 years and took it camping with us many times ove rthe past 5 years Ive had it and it has never missed a beat. Theyre bloody good fridges.
I usually freeze my meat and some water bottles, tube icy poles for the kids etc to fill up the space in the freezer section and keep it cranked up the first day, then turn it down and towards the end as the meats started to defrost and be used up, I remove the top divider and let it all run as a fridge.
Only problem is telling kids and drunken adults to stop sitting on my bloody lid...

Make sure you get a 12V STC-1000 for the waeco ;) 240V wont be much good.
Sensor is just taped to the divider.
I used just 12V 40mm fans. I saw a pic from a post on patrol4x4.com where a guy used a bit of smaller diameter PVC and used a balloon as a interface between the pipe and the fan. I've experimented with similar but at the moment I just have them blowing the air.
I've recently ordered a 1kVa "honda" copy generator from Kulkyne kampers.

I love my CF-80. One of the best bits of kit I've bought. Sitting around in spring up in the high country after eating a roast dinner done in the camp oven then kicking back with dessert with icecream after dinner is just one of those brilliant moments that makes all those long days of work worth while.
I do want to replace my CF-80 eventually with a couple of smaller fridges for more flexibility though

Sitting around in spring up in the high country after eating a roast dinner done in the camp oven then kicking back with dessert with icecream after dinner is just one of those brilliant moments that makes all those long days of work worth while.

Mate your living the dream right there..Doesnt get any better than that..

Thanks for the information.

Back